AuthorTopic: Switching 6v to 12v  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Switching 6v to 12v
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »
Hey guys, I'd like some advise about switching the Coronet to a 12 volt system. What all do I need? Best brands to buy? Where to buy the parts? Thanks......

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Switching 6v to 12v
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
At first glance it may look like a quick and easy conversion, but it actually takes time and allot of thought. Here are some of the things that need to be converted: Lights, Ignition, gauges, windshield wiper motor (if electric).

Bulbs:
-Brake lighting
-Headlights
-Signal/Marker lighting
-Courtesy ligthing
-Instrumentation

These will all need to be converted to 12v bulbs.

Ignition:
-coil

AC Delco P/N U515
        Universal 12 volt coil
        Does NOT require external ballast resistor

AC Delco P/N U505 & U510
        Universal 12 volt coil
        requires ballast resistor
        U510 is designed for imports w/electronic ignition.

If you have points in your distributor, you should be fine. Most points are really rated for 12v, so they should be fine for the upgrade. I too would look at the Universal coil that doesn't require a ballast resistor. You too may want to add a condensor to the system.

AC Delco P/N A202Z Open Lug, w/side mounting bracket

1946-1972 Chyrsler Products
    1978-1983 IHC
    1949-1971 Jeep

You can either buy one or find a donor vehicle.

If you decide to go with a resistor with your coil here are some options:

AC Delco P/N C1101 Single ballast resistor, w/mounting bracket
        1953-1978 Chyrsler Products

AC Delco P/N D1111 Single ballast, w/mounting bracket. This ballast appears shorter than the above mentioned part
        1953-1978 Chyrsler Products

For some more condensor, ballast resistor, and coil varients, see 'http://www.acdelco.com/parts/'.

Starter:
Next is your starter and it should be fine. Just be sure that all of the connections are clean and shiny.

Gauges:
With your gauges you will need to utilize a dropping resistor in the feed line to the instrument cluster.

AC Delco U1745

"Voltage Reducer. Reduces 12 volts to 6 volts. 1.5 ohm resistance for 4 amp maximum load. Permits use of regular 6 volt accessories on 12 volt systems. Mounts through 7/16" dia. hole. Includes clamp on bracket."  or you can go to a salvage yard and look for a Ford Mustang II (1974-1978). The Mustang II utilized 6 volt guages! Mounted to the back of a Mustang II instrument cluster is a voltage limiter, each guage has an 8.5 ohm resistor for each circuit.

Battery:
It goes without saying, You will need to install a 12 volt battery.

Alternator:
By far the easiest, and most common unit out there to consider using in your 12 volt system is the General Motors 10SI unit. It has an internal regulator, and requires only 3 external connections. I just installed this alternator on my rat rod. It will require a bit of ingenuity on your part, spacers, brackets may need to be utilized to line things up properly. I would use a 1974 chevy camaro 350 cid alternator.

Windshield Wiper Motor:
My suggestion is to install a 12 volt wiper motor. An entire unit, or retrofit just the motor.

Grounds:
Check existing ground straps/cables. Alternator case (typically through its mounting bracket) to the battery. Battery to body. Body to frame. Instrument cluster to body or frame. Firewall to engine/frame.

Switches & Wiring:
Your switches and wiring should be fine and should have no problem handling the 12 volts flowing through them.

That's all i can think of for now. It will take some time to make the conversion and you will have to see if it is worth the time and money for the conversion.

Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
Switching 6v to 12v
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
Thanks a ton for your time Doug. I'd really like to bag this thing out. I need to switch it to 12v in order to do that. I'm thinking of running resisters for everything but the engine. Is that possible?

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »
you will still have to convert to an alternator and 12v battery and replace the seal beams and tail lamp bulbs because the lights will burn very bright for about 6 seconds and then the smoke will come out of them
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »
No you won't be able to run resistors on everything........like greybeards stated, your headlights, brake lights, etc will have to be converted.....

Offline Dustin Arnett

• Desert Rat
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
Switching 6v to 12v
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
Ok, thanks guys.... If I'm going to do it I might as well go all the way, right....

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
As good looking as your ride is, i damn sure would......

Offline RaTaTat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Dont underestimate me or I'll prove you wrong
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
Awesome thanks for all the info. My Bel Air is only 1/2 way converted to 12V.  The entire front of the car (Engine, headlights, dash) has been converted already, but my dome light, windshield whiper motors, and tail lights have not been done yet.

Tags: