• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: NAS-T
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2021, 06:05:25 PM »
Another pretty good day in the shop.  The shocks and brackets and the brake kit came in yesterday. I went out there to start mounting the shocks, or at least get all the brackets trimmed and shaped to fit and get ‘em tacked in.  I got the lower mounts done and was starting on the uppers when one of my neighbors from across the street pulled up in front of the shop.  He had my driveshaft loops and the crossmember for the rear loop in his car!  The stuff had been addressed incorrectly and was sitting on his back porch in the rain!

I stripped all the wet cardboard off of everything and wiped it all down.  I put the shocks aside and went to cutting and fitting the new crossmember.  This one is made so that the loop can be unbolted for removing the driveshaft.  I had a little trouble getting everything cut down, centered, and lined up properly, but after one try that required cutting the tacs off and starting over, I got it all like I wanted it and welded in the stubs, drilled them for bigger bolts, and welded in the crossmember. I may trim another inch off of the rear loop.  I jacked up the back half of the car and the rear axle only dropped about an inch.  There's three inches of loop[ below the driveshaft at that point, so I think I'll go for a little more ground clearance there.

Got band rehearsal tomorrow, so I doubt I’ll get out there to get any real work done.  I’m planning on finishing the front loop and getting the shocks mocked up and everything welded in place on them.  My headlights are supposed to be here tomorrow!  Gonna be interesting to see how I can mount them up and make ‘em look right. Friday should be a busy day!!

As usual!  Pics when I get ‘em downloaded and edited.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 09:57:02 PM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »
Another pretty good day today.  I set in on installing the front shock pieces.  I’d bought a pair of upper shock mounts and a pair of chrome shocks with just over 5” of travel.  My plan is to give this car a little smoother ride than Lockjaw.  I jacked up the car and measured the drop in the front suspension.  It only dropped an inch and a half!  I set one of my ramps under the right front wheel with a 4”x4” block on the ramp. 12” high on that side and the left front was just touching with me sitting on it.  With the shocks fully extended, they still had a little room to spare.  After caging the shocks at 2 1/4” down travel, I mocked ‘em up and checked everything again.  I cut 2” off of the upper mounts and tacked them in place.  Then I positioned the lower mounts and tacked them in too.  I checked everything once more and then removed one hairpin at a time and welded the lower mounts on them. I decided to add a brace between the bars to spread the load created by the shock action. 

I moved the driver’s side track bar bracket up about 1/2” to level it out.  Looks better and will work better too!  I welded the upper mounts onto the frame and then reinstalled the hairpins and the shocks. 

I went to put the thing back on the ground and my floor jack wouldn’t pick it up!!  Low on hydraulic oil!!  Reckon I will have to go get some in the morning.

Pics as usual when I get ‘em edited.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:01:15 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2021, 06:13:52 PM »
Mostly just cleaned up the shop today. Tried to service the floor jack, but it appears that it has more problems than low fluid.  I’ll take it to be repaired next week.

We tried something new with the tubing bender today.  Made a loop for the Model A to hang the pedals on. Turned out pretty good after we figured out what adjustments needed to be made.  I didn’t take pics of it yet.

I had Jeff cut down the front loop for the T and I welded it in.  I DID get a shot of it.  I think we swept up five pounds of grit where we’ve been cutting and shaping parts for both cars.

I think I’m getting back into shape most of the time, but I was just short of worthless today!! We only worked for about three or four hours before I had to call it a day!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:16:25 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »
I did a little straightening again yesterday, but mostly just kicked back and watched some racing.  Tried to watch football, but the home team was playing so lousy that I switched to the Indy Car race.

Went to Jeff’s for supper and to pick up another floor jack.  Food was great and the jack is BIG!

I decided to concentrate on the rear brakes today. I’m adapting the rear disc brakes off of a 1996 Caprice cop car.  I bought the car for the transmission and the fuel injection and I got rear disc brakes and all the electronics and harnesses, plus a nice big tub full of small parts and stuff in the bargain.  The car was only $350.00 and I could drive it!

I had already started on this months ago and got sidetracked with a hospital episode. When I got back to it, there were a bunch of other things I needed to do and it got put off.  Now I’m down to a few items that need doing before I strip everything off the frame and flip it over to finish all those things that need to be welded from the bottom.  If I were any good at overhead welding, I might not have to flip it, but I think it’s a good idea for me to do what I know will get it right.

Anyhow! I fell in on the brakes and re-drilled the backing plates to fit the Oldsmobile axle tubes and modified the axle retainers to clear some of the stuff like parking brake actuators and casting bosses that line up the parking brake “shoe”.  The shoes are actually rings that expand when the parking brake is applied.

I had to remove some material from the backing plates, (they appear to be cast steel or cast iron) where they have extra material that won’t allow an axle retainer to lay flat.  These brake assemblies are originally found on rear ends that use internal axle retainers, (C clips) so the castings have reinforcements that aren’t needed with a steel outside retainer.

I didn’t take a lot of pictures because if you do one of these, it’s probably not going to be on one of these old rear ends.  I’ll add a few more pics as I finish the other side.  Incidentally! The backing plates are very similar and they mount differently.  One mounts what appears to be upside down! I got the passenger side all put together, up to bolting on the caliper brackets and calipers. I’m doing it in small steps to make sure it all gets lined up correctly and works right the first time.

I got tired and stopped when I got the rotor on and the wheel installed.  I’ll get back to it Wednesday.  Doctors tomorrow.  Pics later
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:34:11 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2021, 07:08:43 PM »
I didn’t get to jump right back on the brake assemblies right away. I wound up with some major trauma involving my band.  I’d already had to hire a substitute bass player for a big gig down in Texas and we’d gotten most of the show worked out. On Monday, my #2 guitar player called to tell me his mother-in-law had been hospitalized with end of life projection and that he was going to miss the show too! I had to scramble to find another guitar player, which turned out to be easier than finding the bass player.  ANYHOW, we got more rehearsals done, went on down to Texas, and put on a pretty good show.  The rented bass player turned out to be really talented, but a real prima donna, trying to upstage the rest of the band and whining the whole trip!!

On the way home, my number one guitar player sideswiped a road sign and dragged the band trailer off into a ditch.  Bent the axle slightly and banged up both doors on his SUV.  It wasn’t too bad and we were able to get back to Nashville without any further problems.  I had him bring the trailer to my shop where we were able to straighten the axle perfectly. We knocked the doors on the SUV out enough to let them open and close and got it to where he could open and close the driver’s window.  He’s back on the road and insurance will fix the vehicle.

I took the next week off just to let my foot rest and recuperate. Went to the doctor on Tuesday and he was extremely pleased with how it’s healing up! He had released me, conditionally with the warning that the broken bone wasn’t going to heal and it has remained in place! So long as nothing goes wrong, I don’t have to go back to see him until after New Years!

SO!! I fell back in on the brakes yesterday and finished making the missing parking brake actuator lever, (picture #7) and assembled the passenger side rear brake and backing plate. When I put the rotor on, the spacing was wrong. The rotor was out away from the backing plate and I could see the back edge of the parking brake shoe.  Those cast backing plates are much thicker than the original sheet metal units that came on the Olds rear end and I had spaced the axle OUT to compensate.  Turns out I should have placed the spacer on the outside of the axle bearing. I was tired and disgusted, so I took the afternoon off.

Today, I pulled the axle and removed the lock ring that I’d modified to go behind the bearing and reworked it again to fit outside the bearing.  It’s a BITCH to get it all stacked in place and get the axle retainer bolted in. Takes three hands to keep everything where it needs to be, but once it’s all fastened together, it really works well and there’s no end play or slop in the axle! If I have to go back into it, say, to replace a bearing, I’ll glue the lock ring/spacer to the front of the bearing!

I went on and duplicated it on the driver’s side, installed the backing plate and brake shoe, and adjusted the parking brake shoes and installed both rotors. Spacing is dead on and I can actually work those parking brake levers by hand and they apply and hold!!  I still have to install the calipers and pads, but with the wheels installed, it all spins freely and it’s smooth as glass.

Pics when I get ‘em downloaded.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:58:02 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Ghostridersixseven

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »
Nice work! Sorry to hear of all the band problems. Seems like when it rains it pours sometimes...
"  Build it like you want to, drive it like you stole it."

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
I spent the day Sunday doing some cleanup on a couple of projects on the T. I pulled the rear hairpins and shortened ‘em about 3/4”. It really only involved removing the front heim joints and cutting off the required amount of threaded tubing and reinstalling the joints. Of course one of ‘em was stubborn and had to have the tube re-threaded. This moves the rear end forward the corresponding 3/4” which will give me more adjustment in the rear suspension.

I pulled the front hairpins. I haven’t been happy with how much thread is outside the bosses on the tie-rod ends used to anchor the hairpins.  They’re 11/16”X 18 tpi. I’d have just welded a couple of nuts on the ends of the tubes, but nobody had full nuts!!  Plenty of jam nuts, which I ordered a couple of, but no regular full thickness nuts!!  SO! I ordered a couple of 11/16” weld in bungs and shortened them up to give me the extra length I wanted.  They come with turned down sleeves on them, but that part isn’t threaded, so I cut the sleeves off and welded the bungs on the hairpins.  Makes it WAAAY stronger!!  I didn’t photograph any of this ‘cause ya’ really won’t see much difference.

We also worked out some of the suspension details on Jeff’s A Model.  Lots of small details that, if not worked out in order, will pile up to create real problems!!  I know it’s frustrating, working through all the steps and checking and re-checking everything. I’m sure it drives him batty now and then.

Today, I went out to the shop with the Model T suspension worked out to my satisfaction.  I’ll clean it up and paint it all when I tear it down to flip the frame and weld the stuff on the bottom.  I’m still planning to notch a section at the back of the frame for extra clearance over the differential. I also need to get the headers assembled and welded up and the headlights modified and mounts figured out for them.  My channels for lowering the body still aren’t ready, so I’m ignoring that project for now.

I decided to go for the headers.  Recent pics show where I’ve tacked up a couple of tubes to make sure they don’t interfere with other stuff. I pulled out the other two tubes for that passenger side header and went to work.  The tubes aren’t perfect, so I had to make some minor adjustments and I’ll have to be satisfied with the four tubes not all being perfectly aligned symmetricaly.  A set of factory roadster headers are about $1,000.00, so I can live happily with the way this one turned out. I still need to take a die grinder to the ports and brush and sand off all the spatter, but this one is complete and I will start on the driver’s side tomorrow.

ANYWAY!  Pics when I get ‘em downloaded.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:03:32 PM by Blackwater »

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
It looks fine to me. Good work, I will always go for something I made over high priced crap.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »
Had a minor malfunction yesterday that cost me most of the day. Got up and out early, intending to get the other header done. NO SUCH LUCK!!  I opened the shop and flipped the breaker for the compressor on the way to the light switches. I heard a grunt and the breaker tripped.  I tried it again and nothing.  I have the compressor in a small building by itself, so I went out and began checking everything.  Pressure switch is good. Plug secure and all the prongs are clean and bright. Check the in box on the motor and it’s good.  Try rotating the pulley and it’s all free. Chech compressor oil level… perfect!!  When I pull the cover for the start and run capacitors there’s one terminal burned off of one start cap!  Spent the rest of the day tracking down new caps and replacing them and repairing the wiring!!  By the time I found ‘em, drove to the other side of Nashville to get ‘em, gather up tools and pieces, and repair and installed everything, it was nearly dark and I was tired and a bit more than aggravated!

Meanwhile, the metal shop called and my channel sections were ready.  This morning, I went and picked up the channels, picked up a new prescription, (I’m now iron deficient on top of all the other maladies) did some grocery shopping, took the wife by the bank, and finally got home after noon.

The kid had a car in the shop and another customer in the driveway, so I fixed myself a sandwich and waited while he got done. Then I unloaded my channels and tried to decide if I wanted to do anything else.  Retirement can make you a lot less motivated, sometimes.

After spending a little time entertaining my grandson, I figured I’d finish touching up the completed header. Got it all nice and clean and decided I should hang it back on the engine so’s I’d have something to go by when mocking up the other one.

OKAY!! I drug out the other four tubes and set in on measuring and test fitting them.  Lots of trimming and dollying and grinding and doing it all several times and it’s all tacked together and squared up.  I’ll get out there tomorrow and weld it all up, IF I don’t find another catastrophe to get in the way!!

Pics in a little bit.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:46:56 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Just like I figured!!  I got out to the shop, flipped the welder on and turned on the gas, made one tac weld and when I pulled the trigger on another one , NO GAS!!  Reached over and tapped the gauges and they both dropped to zero!!  SO!! Off to town to get both bottles filled..  i normally keep an extra bottle, full, but with all the trips to the doc and the hospital, I forgot that I had changed out the bottle a while back!  DAMN!!

Jeff grabbed both bottles and loaded ‘em in his car and off to town we went!!  Got back and still had time to get that second header finished and hung back on the engine.  Came out pretty nice!  They’re even and look like a matched pair.!!

I’m satisfied.  Pics to follow.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:21:52 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2021, 05:05:57 PM »
Looks good, but to so many doctors and horspitals that I forgot what we be buildin. thanks dude for the pics.
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »
HEY!  Gramps!!  Good ta' hear from ya'!!  The hospital thing is gettin' old for me!! I counted medicine bottles while ago and it's embarrassing!! Eleven different meds!!

The cars are the only thing that keeps me sane right now!!  WEEEELLLL, that and the band!!  Hope I can get back to shooting some here soon!

You got anything new going on??  That van has possibilities!!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:30:52 PM by Blackwater »

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »
My wife has u beat in the pill department.....21 a day...

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2021, 11:10:47 PM »
Been busy with other stuff in the shop, as well as some work on the “T”!

I finally got around to wiring the winch/hoist.  Jeff built a platform for the battery a while back, but it needed to be moved lower, so he got that done last week. I wired in a little battery minder and all the cables and the remote control, cleaning up and wire tying it all to the post where the winch is mounted.

Sunday was “clean up the shop day” with a thorough brush up and trash pickup and general tool organizing.  ‘Bout three hours of broom and air gun work, followed by loading a bunch of boxes, scrap, and junk parts onto the dually.  My son helped replace the battery cable and repair the crank wire to the starter on Ol’ Green, (the dually) so it can be used again!

With the shop straightened up and the hoist working, I went back to work on the “T” .  I’ve been working on the channels for lowering the body and had them roughed out for a first trial fit last week. Today, I pulled them off and trimmed all the notches for crossmembers and the rear ladder bar mounts. That finished, I tacked the brake pedal/master cylinder/booster bracket to the frame.  I’ll have to move the pedal to the outside of the frame and forward and down, but I needed to get it located so I could trim out the driver’s side channel before I move the channels to the body for final mounting. The master cylinder is an under floor mount and where it is located, it looks like it was just made to go there. It’ll complicate the transmission crossmember, but not too much. 

I set the chassis back on the floor to get the brake settup level and to get a look at how everything is shaping up.

I set the steering box on the frame to get an idea of where I’m going to mount it too.

Pics when I get ‘em edited and downloaded.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 11:41:54 PM by Blackwater »

Offline McLovin

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • OOOOH YEAH !!!!
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
Nas-T is looking good.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2021, 03:15:36 PM »
I removed the pedal assembly from the rest of the booster/master cylinder setup. It won’t work like it came from the supplier, but if I move the pedal to the outside of the frame, I can extend the linkage and have room for the gas pedal and it’ll be where I can operate both gas and brake comfortably.

I cut the pivot shaft out and shortened it to go into the frame and keep the pedal as close to the frame as possible.  By boring a hole all the way through the frame, I was able to weld the back end and I will put another weld through the bottom of the frame to further secure the pivot shaft.

I’ll use two hardened shims to set the pedal out from the frame and I notched the channel to clear the arc of the pedal stroke.  I ordered a stainless marine turnbuckle to provide plenty of adjustment and I’ll tap the pedal rod to work with it. Gonna hafta’ get a 3/8” fine thread left hand die to finish the job. A little bit of bending and maybe a gusset or two and it’ll be super solid.

It looks like the rest of my rear brake hardware was FINALLY shipped yesterday!!  Now all I need is to figure out where I want to run the brake lines and get the tubing, fittings and hoses.

Pics to follow…
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 03:23:35 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
Pretty good day today.  It’s Veterans’ Day, so the banks and post offices were closed.  I sold the original distributor for my 348 and it took almost two weeks for the payment to get here.  It arrived yesterday evening and I was gonna take it to the bank and mail the package with the distributor to the buyer.  No such luck!  I went and bought bolts for the rear brakes and to put the carburetors on the intake. 

I finally got the entire rear brake assemblies put together for the first time!  I’ll need to go through it all and paint and Loctite everything, torque and adjust it all one more time.  All the clearances are good and even the stick-on wheel weights will clear the calipers with ease.

I disassembled all the stuff on the intake manifold and removed the old oil spout, water fittings, and the old mounting studs so I can do a real cleaning on it and get it set up for the carbs.  I’m changing the engine over to a full vacuum PCV system, so I bought an oil spout with a PCV fitting and a flange for a twist style filler cap that seals when it’s installed.  It’ll use a screw-in PCV valve and I’ll install a freeze plug where the old vent tube exited at the back of the manifold.  I’ll have to modify the dipstick tube to seal as well.  That’ll clean up how the engine runs and help keep the car clean of major oil deposits.

I picked up a second QuadraJet that’s a real close match to the one I already had and I’m changing the choke setup on the first one to better match with the second one.  I figure that twin Q-Jets will be unique and with vacuum secondaries, they’ll only open up enough to give the engine what it can use at WOT.  Holleys won’t work on this manifold and I can’t find real Carter AFBs.  I’ve never had an Edelbrock that ran right and I for DAMN sure don’t want to try to make two of ‘em work!

Got pics of the brake installation.  I’ll take some of the carb setup as it goes back together.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 06:35:10 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Got started early this morning, cleaning and prepping the intake for the T.  I bought this thing used and it was pretty nasty.  As I said yesterday, I pulled all the old studs and fasteners off of it and removed the coolant fittings and the old oil filler spout.  I put the manifold in a big pan and scraped off the last of the old gasket material.  I took a 50/50 mix of AlumaBrite and water and filled a spray bottle and proceeded to spritz and scrub.  Took over an hour, but it turned out pretty good.  I doused it with baking soda and rinsed it with water then blew it dry with compressed air.  It still looked a little gnarley, so I sprayed it down with the acid solution again, scrubbed it some more, and this time I just rinsed it off really well and blew it dry.

I installed the spacers for the Q-Jets and went to tighten them down.  DAMN!! This is the first time I have EVER encountered a standard thread fastener that required a metric wrench to tighten or loosen it!!  These allen bolts were 5/16” USS thread, BUT I HAD TO USE A 6mm ALLEN WRENCH TO TIGHTEN ‘EM!!!  I put new studs in the holes for the back of the carburetors. They go all the way down into the original manifold threads.  I like that they pass through the adapter/spacers.  It will prevent them from warping.  I couldn’t get bolts the exact length I needed for the front of the carbs, so I bought ‘em a little long and cut them to fit, again, passing through the spacers and threading directly into the manifold.

I mentioned that vent in the rear of the manifold that allows pressure to exit the crankcase. These engines were built before PCV systems were created.  It’s nasty and stinks up the place and often leaves a film of dirty oil under the car and it doesn’t help oil or ring life either!  I’m going to a closed PCV system on the engine, so I found a freeze, (Welch) plug that fits where the vent tube comes out of the manifold.  I stippled the hole and installed the plug with some JB WELD and put a good smear on the back side of the plug from underneath.  I replaced the old oil fill spout with a new one that has provision for a screw in PCV valve. I put the spout in the freezer for a couple of hours.  When I got ready to install it, I took my heat gun and warmed up the manifold where the spout goes in and when it was good and hot, we snatched the spout out of the freezer and stuck it in the hole.  Only took a couple of whacks with a hammer and a block of wood and it was seated perfectly. 

I mocked everything up to make sure it all fits like it should.  I’m still collecting small parts for the carbs to make them as close to identical as I can.  When I get the last of it gathered up, I’ll build both carbs and fabricate fuel lines, vacuum for the brake booster and PCV, and the throttle linkage.

Pics to follow shortly!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 04:42:56 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »
Did a little running around in search of small parts this morning.  Nobody in town has 3/8” studs on a Sunday??  I wasn’t driving to Nashville for one stud, so I picked up the other stuff I wanted and came back to the shop. 

I decided last night to go ahead and swap the 2X4 intake onto the 348, partly because I have the single 4 intake listed for sale and mostly because I just want to see what it looks like.  I got that done all except for the four longer bolts located between the pairs of intake runners.  The ones on the new manifold need to be a little longer and require a narrower washer.  I got the four washers from Jeff’s stash, but I’ll need to get bolts.  I couldn’t come up with enough bolts the right length that matched. I’ll pick ‘em up tomorrow. While I was looking for those bolts, I found four of the 3/8” studs in a package I’d put back. A little longer than I needed, but I know how to cut ‘em down and so now I have a stud for my distributor hold down!  Now I have to figure out what thermostat housing I need.

I also worked out the linkage for the brake pedal to booster.  Gotta pick up a 3/8” fine thread left hand die and a couple of appropriate nuts. The rest of it is already made!!  Just cut and thread the rod and screw it all together.  I haven’t photographed the linkage, but when it’s done I will post some pics.

GOTTA put pics of the manifold installation up!  Just too cool!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:44:17 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »
Took my dual point distributor to be set up on Tuesday.  I had replaced the bushings and polished the shaft, installed new points, condenser, rotor, and cap.  I don't have the equipment to set one of these up, so I farmed out the job to an expert.  Got it back today, painted, the tag and the ID plate polished, and thoroughly gone over.

1 picked up another QuadraJet carb for cheap, (the way I like to get stuff) that has all the little pieces I need to make my two good carbs as identical as I can make 'em.  Ordered new major overhaul kits for both and some small parts that I needed to complete the rebuilds.  One of the kits has arrived and all the small parts are here.  I'm hoping the other kit will be here tomorrow.  I'll start rebuilding them tomorrow.

Got the left handed die today in the mail too.  I can finish the brake pedal linkage tomorrow too!!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:17:34 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2021, 07:17:09 PM »
I spent the morning swapping parts on the primary Q-jet.  I replaced the original baseplate with one that has fewer vacuum ports and has a throttle lever with the stud for the transmission TV cable.  This makes it easier to regulate the shift points and passing gear on the 700. I also changed out the upper secondary butterfly shaft.  I need to have a one hole linkage for the secondary hold-off. The one that came on this carb has a slot instead and I can’t use that.  The final change was the choke linkage and choke pull-off. It’s now identical to the setup on the front carburetor.  I reassembled the donor carb. It’ll be a good one to rebuild after I get the two I’m using done and I can probably sell it for enough to pay for everything else I’ve done on the two I’m using.

I swapped the dual point distributor back in and painted the hold down and added a new washer and lock washer to complete the job.  I installed the thermostat housing and had to remove the oil spout and turn it so that the PCV valve doesn’t interfere with the T stat housing.

The second carb kit came today, along with the fixture for drilling the crankshaft.  I don’t want to run the balancer without a bolt to hold it on, so I gotta drill and tap the crankshaft snout.  The parts house screwed up the order for my PCV valve, so I have to wait ‘til tomorrow for the right one!!

The final operation of the day was to cut and thread the pedal linkage for the brakes.  I carefully ground the rod to the right size and ran the left hand die all the way to where the bend starts on the rod.  It’s still about 3/4” too long, so I’ll shorten the end where the heim joint attaches and maybe run a little more thread on that end.  I got tired and I had a guy driving in from Illinois to buy a tunnel ram that I had on Craigslist, so I’ll finish up the brake linkage in the morning and tear down, clean, and build one of the carbs.

By the way!! These kits from Mountain Man Fuel Systems are the most complete I have ever bought or even seen!!  I’ll add their info to the vendors list in the next little bit.

No pics today.  I’ll catch ya’s up, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2021, 02:06:47 PM »
I got one carb built today.  I got to thinking. I haven't built a QuadraJet in more than twenty years!!  I was really more worried about having lost so much of my fine sense of touch and small/fine motor skills.  My neuropathy has advanced a little these last few years, but I as able to do it all with no real problem.

Not much to take pictures of. I was a little disappointed in my cleaning solution, but these old carbs are over 45 years old.  Short of sending them out to be refinished, I reckon they look pretty good.  As long as they work well, I'll be happy.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
I finished up the  carburetors and didn’t put up any pics.  They needed a fitting in each one to provide vacuum for the PCV valve and the power brake booster.  You can’t find brass fittings at most hardware or farm stores anymore!!  Most parts houses don’t carry much anymore either!!

I managed to find one at one of the local O’Riellys and got them to order another one. I figure one in each carb should work better than trying to supply vacuum to everything off of one carburetor.  I think I will build my own throttle and choke linkages, so I’ll order the hardware for that after Christmas.  Tomorrow, I’ll get steel brake line to make up the PCV and booster lines and start fabbing them up.

I had enough parts and gaskets to build one more QuadraJet, less the choke actuator rod, accelerator pump, and a needle and seat. I have another nice carb that I bought for parts. I swapped choke pulloff assemblies and the throttle plate off of this one to create the matching pair for the T.  The folks at Mountain Man fixed me up with the stuff I needed with just a phone call!  These people are really helpful and extremely friendly!!  Their products and prices make me happy. What I needed arrived on Saturday after a Thursday call!

I’m going to build this last carb and sell it. That’ll pay for EVERYTHING I bought to put the 2 X 4 settup on the 348!

Anyhow! Tomorrow I plan to get the steel lines and build the carb.

I’m putting up pics of the rebuild kit! I’ll add pics of all the changes to this post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:57:36 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2021, 05:31:10 PM »
I took a few days off. I’m FINALLY back in shoes!!  The shoe repair shop got my boots, (three pairs) modified to accept the foot brace that was prescribed for me last spring!!  My foot is healed up enough for me to get out of the walking boot, so I’ve spent much of the week getting used to the brace and learning to walk for the fifth time in four years!!!

Anyhow, I did get some work done on the carb setup and figured out some more of the obstacles in the build.  I spent the better part of the afternoon Friday making up the vacuum lines for the PCV and the brake booster..  I also located the correct bracket for the TV and throttle cables to attach them to the carburetor linkage.

I also got the new power valve springs for the QuadraJets. I’m planning on putting them together for the last time tomorrow..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:33:39 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
Got the carbs on the 348 final assembled today.  I don’t have to go back into them or pull  ‘em off again until I test run the engine, if at all.  I still need to make up fuel lines and fabricate linkage, but they need to be on the engine for that.

I added the throttle bracket and mounted and adjusted the TV cable. The bracket needed some “adjustment” to clear the distributor.  It’s an aftermarket bracket. GM makes, (or made) a great bracket for these, but you can’t find one without getting lucky on evilbay or scavenging the wrecking yards for days at a time.  There was one on ebay a week or so ago, but the seller wanted $75.00 for it!  This one costs a little over $20.00 and it took twenty minutes to get it right.

I also got the brake pedal linkage done today.  WORKS GREAT!!  I may make a supporting gusset for it.  I’m thinking that even with power brakes, it could use a little more bracing to increase rigidity. I’ve still got pretty strong legs and I’d hate to panic stop this thing and bend something!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:45:59 PM by Blackwater »

Tags: