• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
NAS-T
« on: September 19, 2020, 08:53:02 PM »
I've been toying around with this for a while!  Trading around with Jeff73Mach1 and swapping parts, cars, and labor, I've come up with another project.  I've hinted at this one before, but now I've jumped off the high dive out over Grand Canyon.  Got lots of parts already collected and the idea is now firmed up!!

We stacked and propped some of the stuff on and next to the car and I took some pics to get an idea of what we're shooting for. I included an early pic of the '61 Olds rear end that I'm using. We sent the axles and a set of rotors off of a '96 Caprice to the machine shop to be drilled for the 5x4.75 wheels on the back.  I'm about halfway through adapting the Caprice disc brakes to the housing and it's gonna work like a champ!!

I have a 1958 348 Chevy engine on a a stand, almost ready to install.  I'm using front and rear saddle mounts to put it in the frame and I'll fab up headers to work with the car.  I'll post a pic or two of it in the next day or two.

We junked out my son's old Camaro and I got a 700R4 out of it that we got from a Corvette.  It needs rebuilding, but except for reverse, it works great and it has a good converter with it.  An old friend of mine from my transmission shop days is coming over to help me rebuild it and ain't charging me nothing but maybe a steak and some beers!! Got a good drive shaft outa' the deal too!

That's a brand new radiator sitting in the frame.  Jeff found it and it's made to cool a big V8!

I bought a disc brake kit for the front axle from Speedway.  I don't short anything when it comes to brakes.  I need to pull the spindles and send 'em to Speedway to be modified for the brake kit.  I got a deal on that and it'll save me a chunk of money.

SO!!  I need to lengthen the frame about a foot to accommodate the engine/transmission combination.  I'm going to channel the floor about four inches to lower the car so it resembles the sketch.  The body is all steel and the roof has already been chopped enough to suit my tastes.  The doors are from an A-model and I haven't decided how I'm gonna deal with that, but the floor frame is perfect and the body is absolutely rust free, so it'll be a cinch to lower it and the frame is 2" x 3" rectangular tubing and I already have about three feet of fresh steel tubing to make the stretch!!

What I haven't decided is whether I'll leave it a little RAT or if I'm gonna' shoot for a full on custom! 'Til I decide, that after I've driven it a little!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: NAS-T
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »
Bought a small winch to use for lifting car bodies, today!!

I'll post photos of it in use in the next couple of days!!

Offline McLovin

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    3.2%
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »
Dad bought a Harbor Freight one for our A-frame. Really handy but got to watch the cable. It wants to miss the spool sometimes. It's also a little faster than I would like. But, all in all As handy as a shirt pocket!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
I'm running the cable through a series of pulleys to lighten the load and so I can use it while I'm by myself.  It'll be mounted on a post in the shop, up out of the way.

Pics when I get it all put together!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
Here is the winch and pulleys holding up the "T" body.  The pics were taken on the first run of the hoisting rig.  We let the body back down and cleared the cables so that they don't cross each other.  Made it run a LOT smoother.  Jeff's 29 sedan body can be seen in a couple of pics.  The bottom of the "T" body is over eight feet off the floor!!

Also a couple pics of the 348 engine I'm preparing for this build.  I'm thinking of reversing the colors on the engine, painting the block Chevrolet orange and the valve covers and pan with high temp wrinkle black.  Those orange valve covers sure are shiny though!!

OH!!  Yeah!!  I got me an antique Coke machine over the weekend!!  Needs a little cleaning up and a shot of freon, but it even cools a little!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:27:44 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 02:39:50 PM »
I just remembered that I have a hood for this project!  I don't think it has the side curtains, but the top panels are solid and the hinge is good!  I also have a Corvair steering box that's a;ready "flipped" to finish the steering !!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    2%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
I ought to be getting my rear axles and rotors back from the machine shop this week. I decided that I would let them redrill for the 5X4.75 pattern.  I've done it several times successfully, but with the foot and some minor annoyances, I figured it won't cost much and I can deal with some other things.

I also picked up a set of coil over shocks for the rear of the car!!

Soon as I get to where I can walk again, between all the stuff for this project and the parts coming in for the engine on Lockjaw, I'm gonna' be a busy feller!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:11:47 PM by Blackwater »

Tags: