AuthorTopic: Lost my winch on the polaris today  (Read 3159 times)

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Lost my winch on the polaris today
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
Well today i was moving 3' snow drifts and got about 90% of them done. Getting close to the end, i pushed a pile of snow and the winch wouldn't lift the plow, just no power. I moved it into the garage and got to looking and it appears the winch motor is shot. It spools out nicely, but will not pull the plow back up at all. Some polaris pricing i did puts the price for a 3500 lbs winch at around 500 bucks. Damnnnnnnnn
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Lost my winch on the polaris today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Dang, How is the elderly couple doing?
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
How bout a Harbor freight style or maybe a warn?
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
I had class today for work, but i am going to do some testing. The winch runs out fine, but running back in, hardly any power. Got to thinking that if i switch the wires on the winch and see if it will run the cable in, then the contactor is bad, not the motor. If it still does the same, then the winch motor is shot........I can buy a new contactor for like 100 bucks and a motor for 79 bucks. So i will see what my results end up showing me.....

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
Well i did my testing and it appears to be the motor on the winch. I went to our local polaris store and told the guy behind the counter that i needed a new winch motor. He said to hang on, went back in the stock room and came out with an entire winch. I told him, "you can't get me the motor?" he said this is a better deal, you get everything brand new. I again said, you can't get me a motor, that's all i want? he then repeated to me that the new winch is a better deal, it comes with the new contactor and everything. I said, i understand that, can you get me a motor for my winch. He actually slammed down the winch and got the parts book out, found the motor i was looking for from polaris, came back over and slammed the parts book down and said i can get it for 79.00 bucks. I'm like, i'll take it.....so i paid the guy, asked when the part would get here and he was still pissy, said it could be a week or two, i'll call ya when it get's here. I'm like, aight, thanks and left.....I should have just ordered one online and avoided the temper tantrum i was shown because i would'nt spend 500 bucks for a new winch. LMAO. Not sure if it is just me, but do parts people think throwing brand new stuff at things for more money is a better solution for the customer when they ask for a specific part? Dang.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Picked up my winch motor today, tore the winch apart, found 1 worn gear and spring. Went back to polaris, talk to a different sales associate that actually knew something. He found the parts on their shelf and only cost me 18.00.
I put everything back together, greased all the gears and bearings. Gave er a test try, oh yea, works like new. $79.00 for the motor, 18.00 for a gear and a spring, grand total of 97.00 bucks, runs like new....hell yea, so much cheaper then a new winch.

Offline zpi28

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
That makes a little more since.. I mean you could have just paid $500 for a new winch  :D  Did you say snow in May? Whats that?

64 Chevrolet C10, SBC/TH350, Driving Builder..

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »
Yup, had a little over 10" of snow.........we can still get snow up here in june, so we aren't out of the clear yet. But i sure hope so, sick of winter.