AuthorTopic: Cruise Night Cutups  (Read 6158 times)

miraclepieco

Cruise Night Cutups
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Last Friday, The Burnouts Car Club showed up at the local drive-in cruise night. Let's just say we enhanced our growing reputation for disturbing the status quo:

Me, to a fellow with a beautifully restored all-original '36 Chevy truck: "Give me a Sawzall and about an hour and I'll fix that truck right up for you."  Him: "I'll kill you," (and he meant it.)

Michael, hand-lettered on his intentionally angled drag link that just drives the purists nuts: "DON'T FEAR BUMP STEER."
Photo of the controversial drag link (SIC):

By miraclepieco at 2012-07-20
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:18:36 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Cruise Night Cutups
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:08:35 AM »
Schweet
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Cornfield Customs

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Cruise Night Cutups
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
I really don't understand why you feel the need to stir the pot with hot rodders, and intentially build stuff incorrectly. All you are doing is making all hot rodders look bad. And to set the record straight you should fear bump steer
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:09:02 PM by Cornfield Customs »
Cornfield Customs Ltd.
1591 state route 28
loveland Oh 45140

Cornfield-Customs.com
(513) 545-2910

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
What little I know of bump steer I to wonder why when there are much safer ways to go.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1928 Dodge 4 Dr
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »
"Don't fear bump steer"
I lovr it!!!!
"Just because it's primer, doesn't make it a rat"

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • I build for fun not for show
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
I really don't understand why you feel the need to stir the pot with hot rodders, and intentially build stuff incorrectly. All you are doing is making all hot rodders look bad. And to set the record straight you should fear bump steer
I want to enjoy riding my project after I am finished enjoying building it. I have had bump steer before and did not find it enjoyable. If I have to have both hands on the wheel to drive my ride it is going back to the shop and it will be fixed properly. My 17 year old son is already trying to talk me into letting him drive my 55 so safety is on the top of my list.
Hard work without talent is a shame,talent without hard work is a tragedy.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:23 AM »
In any build SAFTY is and should be #1.

8)

miraclepieco

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:24:26 AM »
I want to enjoy riding my project after I am finished enjoying building it. I have had bump steer before and did not find it enjoyable. If I have to have both hands on the wheel to drive my ride it is going back to the shop and it will be fixed properly.

That's cool guys, but it's Michael's contention that bump steer enhances the experience of driving a hot rod, much as do loud pipes, stiff suspension and other "discomforts." According to Micheal, with bump steer you actually FEEL the road better - and hey, he hasn't veered off the highway yet!

I once saw a 34 Ford street rod for sale (IFS, leather interior, power steering etc) and asked the owner how it drove. "Just like a new Lexus," was his reply.  Boy, is that guy missing the hot rod experience!

Many cherished aspects of our cars are blatantly unsafe (no bumpers, no fenders, no air bags, chopped tops, blind spots, unpadded dashboards, low scrub lines, no crumple zones, drum brakes, bias tires, etc etc). Yet what hot rod doesn't include some of these "unsafe" features? To varying degrees, we all compromise safety for style.

MORAL: Let's not get like the HAMB and start being critical of anyone who does anything differently than us.  Remember gentlemen: it's Michael's car and he likes it that way. And in all likelihood, you will never be asked to drive it.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:45:36 AM by miraclepieco »

miraclepieco

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:32:05 AM »
In any build SAFTY is and should be #1.8)

I that were true, we'd all be building VOLVOS!   ;D

Please read previous post regarding safety and the way ALL hot rods compromise it.

Offline Cornfield Customs

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
see this is where you get a distorted view on hot rodding and it really pisses me off. yea there are no air bags and crumple zones ect. but there is a huge difference in building something intentionally wrong for the sake of wrong. if you are going to do that why not run no doors, seats, only brakes on one wheel, a one link in the rear ect. like i said there is a huge difference in building something the right way with old school materials, and just building something wrong to stir the pot. i really dont get to aggravated about this crap on the internet much, but when it is it is because some guy is out there doing stuff wrong just for the fact to be different. this can also go back to your first post on this site about how modern hot rodders being pretentious and braggarts on how nice their stuff is built. you are a pretentious braggart about how low buck and poorly built your cars are built. its just getting old of how your stuff is better than everyone else because you built it wrong on purpose, you spent less money, or you made some guy mad for talking about cutting up his hot rod.................... it would be different if you didnt know any better, were learning and could take constructive criticism, but you say you know better but do it wrong any way.  hot rods i build with traditional parts dont ride stiff or rough. they dont drive like a corvette but they drive really nice. i guess thats what happens when when you do something the right way for the sake of doing it right. so i have said my peace and am done with this crap. people like you are what is driving me away from sites like this and car shows
Cornfield Customs Ltd.
1591 state route 28
loveland Oh 45140

Cornfield-Customs.com
(513) 545-2910

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
When I was heavily involved in the NSRA I was a state safety inspector. Not only NSRA events but was lucky enough to go to other cruizes that asked for our presence. So fenders is not an issue, seat belts gray area, anti theft your option,but to start and stop that is not an issue. Starting where all wires are the   same gauge and not frayed. Stop and hold that place with an brake. Lights all function.Load pipes save lives. And steering, it was that the vehicle was solid, no mater. When you lifted the front up for inspection the lash was minimal. And your front end parts were not falling off.
But yes have fun but be safe! That is what this hobby is all about. And my time as an inspector was back in the early to late 70's. And I still have my jacket from then.

8)

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Cruise Night Cutups
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
I agree, safety is key.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: