AuthorTopic: '27 roadster is coming along.......slowly but surely!  (Read 4405 times)

Offline 2.3Turbo_T

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
'27 roadster is coming along.......slowly but surely!
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:28:01 PM »
Still haven't learned how to post a pic to the left of the title.  Anyhow, here's some progress pics.  The piece above the dash and the top of the cowl were a rusty, rotted mess. 

I cut a chunk out of an old Thunderbird decklid I had laying around and made the dash piece. 

Then I cut out the cowl top and used some more washing machine sheetmetal to patch that.  I was even able to form the bead on my 'top of the line' Harbor Freight bead roller!

Far from perfect but nothin' a little body filler can't cover up!

Cut out a section of the cowl and turned it around for a recess to clear the turbo motor's water lines.

Needed some structure inside the cowl so I built a cowl cage out of 1" square tubing.  Was also able to mount the computer, Suzuki Samurai steering column and early '70's El Camino pedal assembly.

Only 3-1/2" of ground clearance.  That wasn't gonna cut it so I raised the motor up a full inch using pieces of 3" tubing.  I can live with 4-1/2" of ground clearance!

I used the factory Thunderbird Turbo Coupe hydraulic clutch and ran it through a '63 Chevy truck dual master cylinder.

On these motors the weight of the turbo hanging off the manifold flange inevitably cracks exhaust manifolds and headers.  I made an upper turbo brace that carries the weight directly to the head.  Just a piece of 3/4" round bar heated and bent to the proper configuration with mounting tabs and brackets welded on.  I think it's gonna work great!

Made up some shock brackets and a VAM mount.

Got some '34 Ford truck headlights for $15.  Fabbed up some headlight brackets and welded them to the shock mounts.

Rolled it outside today for the first time in a year and a half to try to get some perspective on proportions.  I think it all looks pretty good!  Found an old rusty, beat up rollbar for a VW bug at the swap meet for $15.  Sliced it, diced it and made it work!

Got most of the bracketry built, Audi S4 intercooler mounted and plumbed and the cooling system up and functional.

Still have to wire it, plumb it, remount the fuel tank, dash/gauges...............In reality I've still got a ton of stuff to do!  The goal is to have it done by the time I retire......Oct. 2016.  Hopefully, by next spring it'll be completed.  Then I'll tear it back down and clean, paint, and polish everything, put it back together and call it good.  We'll see how that works out!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:40:05 PM by 2.3Turbo_T »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: '27 roadster is coming along.......slowly but surely!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:43:31 AM »
Thats looking great! You'll be cruising in nothing flat
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
Hell yea, that looks awesome.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline 2.3Turbo_T

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
Well, it's been a little while.  Thought I'd update a bit.

From this............

to this...........and it only took 7 years!  Haha!

The roadster is roadworthy!  Drove it all around the neighborhood today.  What a blast!!

It has no VIN #, hasn't been certified by CHP, BAR or DMV but everything works and it runs like a raped ape!  Scary fast!

I have to get used to driving it 'cause everything is so tight in the interior.  Very small car.  I'm gonna have to do some mods to make it more comfortable.  Plexiglass in the windshield for now so I can find, at what point  the wind blows in my face.  I'll cut an inch at a time until it does so, then add back an inch and go have the glass cut.  I'll do a couple weeks of shakedown to determine what needs to be modded, fixed, etc.  After that, tear it down to bare frame and do bodywork, paint, polish, reassemble then take care of all the bureaucracies.  Here's a couple of pics.

For me...........this is a big day!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
that is really a great job , looks like a lot of fun to drive .

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
Wow, that’s schweet
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline 46rat

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
Great ride. Looking good Can't wait to see it painted.

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
KEWL
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Tags: