AuthorTopic: Blackwater's coupe's getting fat  (Read 108093 times)

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: Blackwater's coupe's getting fat
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2016, 02:02:39 PM »
I got the new work table fitted with new wheels and did some straightening on the shop!!

Gonna' be a lot easier to do things on this table than on that lousy little folding table.  I can mount a vise on this one and if the mood strikes me, I can put a 1/4" sheet of steel on top and use it for a welding table as well!  The new casters are rated at 400 lbs. each and we can roll this one anywhere in the shop that it'll fit!!

Jeff73 bought me one of those "Stoplight Finders" for Lockjaw!!  Gonna' get it mounted and try it out this week!!

Thanks for the help with the table, Jeff!!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »
I've got 3/16 plate on mine and it's as handy as a shirt pocket! I didn't mount my steel so I can turn it on its side to get through the door into the bar when it's cold
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #302 on: September 07, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
Hollis, I didn't make the Mustang show, due to a death in the exwife's family-had a sudden change of plans.  I'm sure we'll cross paths down the road.

Glad I could help on the table, wish I'd found that phillips head bit about 20 minutes sooner though

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
I've been laid up since the first of April, so I ain't done much of anything all year.  The doc says I may be allowed to walk again before Halloween.  I did buy a nice latch and handle with keys for the deck lid on Lockjaw and I finally found replacement for the headlight globe and LED that had failed, (half the LED for turn signal quit).

The latch/lock is made for truck camper shells and I finally found one that's painted instead of plated.  I think it'll look better than the Gorilla tape I've been using to keep the deck lid closed!!  8)

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #304 on: August 19, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
Glad to hear your getting better. Wondered if you was gonna make the Shoot at Sparta complex as I hadn't heard from you
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #305 on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »
Ain't likely I'll make Sparta this year!!  The home club up there has obtained permission to hold their monthly matches there, and I have several friends in that club.  I have a spot at the big shoot down in Texas the end of September, but it looks like I may not get completely healed up in time for that either.

Me 'n' Jeff73machI got out yesterday and looked at some ruined Cobra parts, but it had been in a fire and gotten so hot that all of the aluminum in the car had melted down!!  The steel in the chassis clunked when I pecked on it with a hammer.  BAD JUJU!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
I threw a best offer at a Buick V6 turbo unit and won the damned thing!!  Looks like ol' LOCKJAW will be turbo boosted when I build the 153!! I already have the head, (as mentioned previously) and a crank to grind offset for increased stroke. When I pull it down to build I hope to have rods, pistons, and a cam/valvetrain setup so that I can have the block bored and decked and put it right back together.

I MAY get to get back on my feet and back into the shop within a month and I've got lots of parts collected for several waiting projects!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:32:31 AM by Blackwater »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
LOCKJAW gonna be doing a Wheels up start at the drag strip? Mid to low 8's? Glad to hear your getting better.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
I got a new set of roller rocker arms and an Ah OO GA horn for Christmas!!  With the money donated to my Christmas parts fund, I also bought a set of 6" H-beam rods like I wanted for the build on the little 4banger!!

THE PARTS ARE STARTING TO PILE UP!!

I'm sending the crank off next week.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »
Nice...
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
If you send the crank off, whose going to look after you?

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
DONT worry, she'll be back.........CANT go without her
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #312 on: February 13, 2018, 11:32:19 AM »
Got the new rods early last week!!  Gorgeous!!

I talked to the crank grinder this morning!!  WOW!!  He'll regrind the crank to the 3.650" offset stroke and polish and index it for around $150.00!!  AND he's local!!  Quick turnaround too.

Pics of the rods and rockers added:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:52:46 PM by Blackwater »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #313 on: February 22, 2018, 07:49:57 AM »
Damn, that’s a good price...

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Looks like the crankshaft will be ready this week.  I had him drill the snout for a balancer retainer bolt.  Only $25.00!!

Jeff bought an all steel 927 Model T Coupe this afternoon.  It's a roller with a tube front axle and a GM third member on coil overs and tuning fork radius rods!!  This ones NICE!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
Got my crankshaft for the Lockjaw engine redux picked up while ago!!  3.650" stroke, .010" undersized mains, indexed, polished, and the front snout drilled and tapped for a balancer retainer bolt.  I'll put up pics a little later!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
Awesome

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #317 on: June 26, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Been doing the '56 F100 thing for a while, BUT I'm still collecting up pieces for the Lockjaw engine update.  I've bought another block that came real cheap and I sent it to the machine shop to be cleaned, bored, checked for crank and cam alignment, and have the deck height set.  It came back bored .040" and with cam bearings and freeze plugs installed and nicely cleaned and prepped.  Another piece of the puzzle!!

A blind hog will root up an acorn now and then!!  I've been lusting for a roller camshaft for this project since before I actually started on it, one that used hydraulic roller lifters and was streetable.  An acquaintance on another forum bought a cool little trackster/sprint car and it runs a 153 four banger just like Lockjaw.  When he bought it, it had an old, (1960s) McGurk street roller in it.  He drove it for a while and it roached an exhaust lobe on the camshaft.  It has the lifters and valve springs included and it cost me an oil pan and pickup in trade.

I sent the damaged camshaft to Oregon Cam Grinding and after they examined it, they repaired the lobe and reground it to a nice hydraulic street grind for less than $250.00 including shipping.  I sent the lifters to Ron at Iskenderian and he says that he can put together a set of hydraulic rollers for me.  The camshaft arrived today.  I'll talk to Ron this afternoon and see what the lifters will run. 

Long story short, I'll have a complete valvetrain for a thousand bucks less than having a roller camshaft tooled up and ground!!  They just aren't making rollers for these little guys for the street and most cam manufacturers won't even talk to you about grinding one!!  I'd rather be lucky than good!!  This time I got real lucky!!!

9/10/2019:  Still waiting on the roller lifters, but they have to run small batches of one off stuff when it's convenient!  Hopefully in a few days!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:04:53 AM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #318 on: September 10, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »
 Already started back on Lockjaw! Pulled the engine oil pan Sunday morning and I've set out a plan to build a "BOX" style pan for it!  I've collected a new block, cleaned, bored, decked, with new expansion plugs and cam bearings install, a new cylinder head, ported, polished, new, larger valves, new valve guides and springs, screw in studs, stainless roller rockers, raised intake ports, and milled to make better compression, a new, stroked and indexed crankshaft, a new roller camshaft, a set of straight cut timing gears, and a set of 6" "H" beam rods.  I lack rings and pistons, which will be custom fabricated for me by my friends at Total Seal and RaceTec/AutoTec in the next couple of months.  Ron at Iskenderian is putting together a new set of hydraulic roller lifters for this combination.

The entire assembly will be balanced by one of the local machine shops that specializes in high performance engines!

All of this to build a more modern, reliable engine that produces a good 250hp and will live in today's world of fuels and lubricants!

NEVER FEAR!!  It'll STILL be rat!!  No two major pieces came from the same engine!  Some of the parts are big time salvage stuff, (the camshaft is an old McGurk unit from the '60s, welded up and reground to modern specs!). The block is from an old Jeep mail truck.  The crank is of unknown parentage, (bought it off of EvilBay!)

I've also collected some fun stuff, like an AOOGAAAAH horn and some other gadgets.  AND!!  I've got a set of the old C4 Corvette wheels and tires to go on it!!

I'm still in the "getting it all together" stages, but look for a new chapter in the Lockjaw saga in the near future!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:32:49 PM by Blackwater »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2019, 01:45:49 PM »
kool Sounds like a plan is in place

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
WELL!  I've spent almost three months in the hospital since I last posted here.  Between that, being on the road with the band, and another major remodel on the homeplace, all I've managed to accomplish is getting my roller lifters and securing a few incidental pieces.  STILL haven't ordered pistons and rings and I'm hitting a wall finding a stud girdle for the l'il feller.

Don't mean I'm not staying busy!!  I've been collecting more stuff for the T Coupe project and I'll put up a thread about it in a little bit!!  Y'all will love this one!!

Anyhow, I hope everyone is doing okay!!  The quarantine orta' have some new progress for some of ya's since ya' kain't go anywhere, hardly!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »
Forgot to mention that Isky fell through on finding the roller lifters!!  I ended up buying them from an independent inline engine parts distributor.  If y'all need parts for Chevy inline sixes and fours, I'll hook you up!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »
Stumbled onto a nice little piece of information while ago!!  Saves me a good chunk of change on the 153 hop up!!  Found out that a Small Block Chevy stud girdle is the same spacing as what is needed for my 4 cylinder head. Studs, valves, and pushrod guides have the same spacing along the length of the heads!!  The only difference is the rocker arm ratio!!  Speedway had a single SBC stud girdle in their garage, (Crane Cams) for $47.99 plus shipping in the E-bay adds.  The only other stud girdle for my engine is for a six cylinder.  You have to remove 1/3 of the bar to make it work and it costs $189.00!!  I jumped on it with both feet!!  Saves me over $120.00!!

Offline McLovin

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • OOOOH YEAH !!!!
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2020, 06:02:19 PM »
WOW That's good info to have! They told me that my Aluminum heads are based off LS Chevy heads. Told the headers would work ... they will not . they hit the block. Sometimes the bench racing Garage is not accurate.  :o :o :o

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2020, 02:34:33 PM »
Finally got the pistons and rings ordered for the 4 cylinder project!!  I LIKE RaceTec!!  They cover all the bases when building a custom piston.  Took me half a day to run down all the information they wanted to design this piston!!  They even wanted cam specs, induction requirements, valve sizes, and the thickness and width of the little end of the rods and the width of the big end!!

The guy I talked too was customer oriented and extremely knowledgeable!!  'Bout four weeks and I'll have a set of pistons designed for my specific engine and with rings, pins and retainers, $410.00 delivered to my doorstep!!!

Tags: FORDODGE