AuthorTopic: Engine Placement  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Engine Placement
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:33:44 AM »
I'd like everyone's opinion on this engine placement. I don't want to lower it because I don't want the bottom of the oil pan to be below the lower frame rails. Moving it back severely cuts into the foot room with the big 727 transmission and the linkage protruding quite a bit on the left side. What do you guys think?

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Engine Placement
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
I forgot to add that the axle will be moved back at least 6" once I figure out where to cut the front of the frame.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »
I generally shoot for keeping the firewall 2" away from the back of the transmission to block bolts. After that, you can place your axles where every you would like. Some people like the stretched look, others like to keep everything tight.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Hey, that's looking good! 

I agree with hotwheels; I try to place the engine so that there is just enough room in front of the firewall to remove the bellhousing bolts, usually 2" or so. It appears you have plenty of room to move it back some without encroaching on your foot room too much, and it would probably look a little better too. But it's all your personal taste: where do you like it? 

And as far as ergonomics go - hey, if we wanted comfort and safety we'd all be building Volvos!

Offline NitroMidgets

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
Try to plan as far ahead as possible with the layout. Remember the steering shaft needs a clear path to get to the gear box, brake master cylinder position, clearance for those pipes (can't see how close they come to the sides of the cabin) and so on.
It appears you have plenty of room to move the whole thing back but the other things are best addressed now rather then later on when you've already put days of work into it.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:24:37 AM »
Thanks guys, good info all. The pipes aren't an issue as I have 3-4" of clearance on each side. It's difficult to see in the pic but those levers really do present a problem the farther back the transmission goes, maybe this pic will better illustrate that. Have any of you ever built the floor up in this area and angled the seat back? I'm considering doing that but I really don't want to be looking square out the back window when driving.

Tags: