AuthorTopic: 1980 GM column in old Willys  (Read 5757 times)

Offline davet

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
1980 GM column in old Willys
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
Hello all. I'm new here but found your forum while trying to solve a problem I'm having with my 1956 CJ5. I've had it for nearly 18 yrs and since owning it I've installed power steering, 4-wheel discs, built a full cage, rebuilt the drivetrain and added lockers and an OD to the transfer case. Years ago I also installed a GM steering column from a 1980 Cutlass. Prior to wiring it up I used an OHM meter to identify which wires were right and left directionals on the old column switch and did the same with the GM column. You probably already know what happened...they didn't match up and I spent 3 solid days randomly connecting wires in different combinations and logging them on paper until I got it wired.

Problem now is this: I spliced trailer light plug in last year and all was good. Needed a HD flasher and while installing it the original 3-prong female flasher plug came apart. I then ran a 12v wire to the "X" on the new 3-prong flasher and a wire from the "L" on the flasher to the purple wire coming from my GM steering column and all was good. Took it out yesterday and no directionals. I have 12v going into the flasher and intermittent (flashing) test light on the "L" terminal. So I know I have 12 v (flashing) going to the purple supply wire on the column. I have no directionals. How can I test the turn signal switch? Is there a ground somewhere with this system?   Thanks.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: 1980 GM column in old Willys
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
The ground wire is A6 in this diagram, but in most columns, just trace out the black wire from the column.  When you open the image, click on the little square with the arrow and it will expand to a readable size.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »
Sounds like the "blinker" wire from flasher to lights is not connected, do you have tail lights? Does it work without the trailer?

Offline davet

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
 I just figured out the blinkers. The Hazard button was pushed in. The brown wire (open ended not connected to anything) from column is for the hazard. I put 12v to it to see if the hazards would come on and found the switch was already pushed in. I pulled it out and blinkers work only with the hazard button pulled out. Pushed in they don't work. I've never had the hazards hooked up and I don't understand how it works internally but at least I can drive it now.

I didn't see "A6" in the diagram and I don't have a black wire coming out of my column. Yes, I had brake lights when the signals weren't working.

Thanks guys for helping me.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:18:55 PM by davet »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »
Glad you atleast got them working to the point you can drive safely now...........
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.