AuthorTopic: So she gives me the nod to start a RR Project. Where do I begin?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline SICRAT

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
My wife says " I like the Idea of a Rat Rod ".. and so it starts.
In and out of Show cars, Street cars, and Race cars now it's time to play with something different.
I'm drawn to Model A Tudor style Rod. I know the Drivetrain will be a Mopar'ish set up but that's about it.  .. First and foremost I want a Safe, Reliable Vehicle that I can drive anywhere....

Do I start with a Frame? Do I make a frame? Do I go out and find a car? Parts? Whole? Where do I begin?

Thank you .

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: So she gives me the nod to start a RR Project. Where do I begin?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:46:24 AM »
First thing you'll need to do is find a car body, with doors. Most of the bodies I've come across, I find on Craigslist. Craigslist just seems to be a site where you can still negotiate a price for a car/truck compared to say eBay.

With that said, you'll need to also know your own skills. Can you weld? Can you do wiring? Etc....

Based on your skill level, you can move forward with your build, or you can start looking for something that is mostly complete. My guess on buying something built would be 3k to 15k. Most rat rods you'll find for sale on Craigslist need to be finished. People start out with the best intentions but loose interest once they hit wiring. If you can do wiring, you may get a good deal cause the owner of the ride is probably frustrated and wants to get rid of their almost completed ride.

So as you can see, you have a few choices. Good luck with your decision and build.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
Like Hotwheels said very well Whats your abilities. If your familiar with hydraulics you can use them as a diagram for electrics. welding is sometimes touchy. If you've got friends with talents sometimes you can bribe them with a few adult bevs  :o ;D Have fun with it! that's the most important thing
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline SICRAT

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:30:08 PM »
Thank you. I appreciate the input. ..

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
#1  If your set on Mopar power, you might look for something from the early Dodge family, cheaper than Ford and still some great body lines.
#2 Don't settle for something thats not right, you'll have a lot of effort into it, may as well be what you want.
#3  (will fill this in later)

Tags: