AuthorTopic: New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?  (Read 15003 times)

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?
« on: August 05, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
Glad to be here, even though most might not enjoy VW's or think of them as real rat rods, I'm here anyway so let's see how this goes.
I have a 1967 VW Squareback that is a low budget build. Currently it is rotting in my driveway on jackstands, waiting on me to find a free moment to get back to it.
It has a 1600 Beetle engine that had minor cosmetic surgery in order to beat properly in the Squareback. It also has custom installed air ride which is the biggest reason she sits on jackstands. I wasn't happy with the old setup, so I am going back through it and getting everything working the way it should.
Front beam is a home made 5-1/2" narrowed  Beetle link pin beam with a single centered air bag mount.
The rear stock steelies are widened 2" for a more aggressive stance.
I have some random cosmetic peices I throw on it whenever I feel like changing things up, like a windshield screen visor, headlight visors, etc... I just like to switch it around once in a while.
Front tires are the smallest I could find for 15" wheels, I think they are the same size as a smartcar tire.

And about the patina... Well most don't like faux patina, and I am not a huge fan either. I did what I had to to get the best results I could from this project without doing any unnecesary paint or body work. I live in the Northeast, so we don't get that nice weathered patina on our cars. You south western folks might think you know what rust is, but in the northeast rust doesnt just sit on the surface and add character to our old hotrods. The northeast chews up our cars like you wouldnt beleive. I only fixed the wet rot holes on this car, and left the rest of it. The doors were pretty bad, as well as a couple other spots. The rear quarter panel on the passenger side had a crease down the length of it, covered with fresh paint that clashed terribly with the original weathered paint. So I pulled the quarter panel and sprayed it with a sealer primer and added a drippy red coat under the chrome trim. Everywhere else where there was nessecary bodywork, I sprayed with ruddy brown spraypaint which matched the original paint pretty well. The front passenger fender was sanded down aggressively one day while I was trying to keep my mind off something that had my blood boiling, so clearly that got out of hand, but it shows through a lot of the coats underneath the original paint and I dont think it looks too bad so I left it.

This car has gotten a lot of attention in the past few years of owning it. Not that it is a celebrity of any kind, but people seem to really love it. I've seen this car pop up on a couple websites, once as a main page background. If you search around on youtube for "wolfsgart limbo", you'll see my car and myself in it competing in a "how low can you go" contest.

That's my halfassed introduction, I guess. Feel free to clutter this post with pictures of other badass VW's or hatred comments about my car, whatever you got.

Offline dcacjc

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: New member from Vermont. Anyone else around here?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:18:19 PM »
Welcome to the NATION!!!!

There are a couple VW already here,please post some pics of yours
David

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »

miraclepieco

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »
Cool auxiliary air tank. And I dig the curb feelers too.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:11:39 AM »
Welcome to the Nation. Don't worry you fit right in. Like the picture with the Bettie, she made it.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
Welcome to the nation, it's great to meet ya. I love vw's and really appreciate you sharing yours with us. It has an awesome stance.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
welcome to the nation Ive got the Boog Bug  :o Im from S Illinois It's been kinda s t r e t h e d Look at my build on it  :P
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Welcome to the Nation. Don't worry you fit right in. Like the picture with the Bettie, she made it.

Thanks, That Bettie did a good job so I gave her my last name on 07-19-2014.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »

Thanks, That Bettie did a good job so I gave her my last name on 07-19-2014.

Awesome.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
There's a good chance that I may be selling this car to support another project I may end up with. You guys think a 1951 Chrysler Windsor Coupe is a good upgrade?

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
Driver? Whole lot different than the Vee Dub!!! :o Got pix?
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
I am in the process of replacing the timng chain and getting it running. It was on the road 3 years ago.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

miraclepieco

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
Leave the patina, slam it all the way around, with wide whites. Will handle like an ocean liner but look really cool cruising.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
Leave the patina, slam it all the way around, with wide whites. Will handle like an ocean liner but look really cool cruising.

That's basically exactly where I want to be with a car this unmolested. I have never owned a big boat like this, so I will have to research what it will take to lower it without cutting/welding. I could care less what it handles like, as long as it sails over bumps. Roads up here suck

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
I'd bag it so that the ride can adjusted to the roads (my 2 cents worth)

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
I'd bag it so that the ride can adjusted to the roads (my 2 cents worth)

Well if I could bag all my cars, I would. But I don't think my budget will allow it on this project (if I even get it). I have a couple bags and a compressor kicking around, as well as a complete management system that is just sitting in my living room but we will see what I end up putting that in. It's still a possibility that I may bag my Honda Element in the near future.
Good news, though. My good friend and German car show coordinator/ aircooled restorer is offering the possibility of buying my Squareback with the intentions of getting the sheet metal cleaned and straightened, fixing the suspension issues, and possibly getting it show worthy by next season. Hopefully this works out, as I would love to see my VW go to a good home and at very least spend it's remaining years in dry storage. He probably won't offer me my asking price, but even if I take a huge hit on the price, at least the car will be taken care of, and that's more important to me. Besides, I only need $1600 to buy this Chrysler, so hopefully it all works out.  :D

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
wow, that is awesome..........

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Here's an update on my garage situation (I don't have a garage).
-With much regret and tears, I sold my beloved VW to the tune of $3500. (I couldn't turn that offer down, as I was about to sell it to another guy for $1500.)
The current owner of my VW owns a business building one-off performance parts for high end Porsche owners and is in the works of putting a 911 turbo engine in it. He has also already completely rebuilt the air ride setup in the car, so it is structurally sound and "safe".
-I purchased a 1987 Toyota Blue Marlin Motorhome for My wife and I to take on a honeymoon cross-country trip next year. (4 cylinder=slow trip). It has 60k miles on it and we are re-arranging the inside of it to be a little more comfortable for 2 humans and 2 dogs to live in for a month.
-I am back to discussing terms and conditions with the owner of the Chrysler Windsor (we hit a wall with diagnosing the issues with the car and our contact with each other stopped until today).
Seems he can't figure out what is wrong with the car and just wants it gone, so the offer is back on the table at $1000, with none of the collected parts he has, just the car.

So, I am at a crossroads... I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but it's hard to turn down that price. On the other hand, do I want a car in my driveway that I might have to end up putting a whole new engine in?
Here's what we have diagnosed so far....
The engine turns over and sounds healthy.
Timing chain is intact and turns fine when cranking.
Distributer is motionless when cranking.
Oil pump is good.

So my question is (for those of you who know flat 6 engines), Why is the engine cranking over and turning but the distributer is motionless? It is a new distributer and the old one did the same thing (hence why he replaced the distributer, he thought that mightve been the issue).

I am looking for reasons to buy this car, but I will heed any warnings.
Thanks and I hope I didn't dissapoint anyone by selling my badass VW. :(

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
Damn, that had to be hard to do..........I hate selling my cars, but sometimes it's for the better. Someone is getting a great starting point and the seller is now able to buy another something and go crazy on a new build.

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »
Good news, everyone. The '51 Windsor is mine.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »
Congrats.......

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »
Thanks. Now I need to learn up on Chrysler flatheads. For some reason everything turns fine except for the distributer. Replaced distributor and same issue, shaft doesn't turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vermonter

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
I should mention... The guy ended up giving me the car. He is moving and I was the only "decent" guy interested so he said come get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk