AuthorTopic: Need guidance 1936 ford 1 ton dually build  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Techrecruit

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Need guidance 1936 ford 1 ton dually build
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »
I have a 1936 Ford 1 ton dually and want to keep the exact look it has now but have a few questions. 
It has no engine and I’m thinking diesel.  I read 4bt is a good choice but was wondering if a 6bt cummins would also fit since 4bt are tough to find these days?

I’m planing to build a simple flatbed for the back half. 

Also I’ve read sometimes it’s better to swap the frame so I get upgraded brakes etc.    if so what should I be looking for ?     What years and model of a dually would my cab and front fenders drop onto?

Any help is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:36:19 PM by Techrecruit »

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Need guidance 1936 ford 1 ton dually build
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:38:21 AM »
 A lot of people use older S 10 frames as they are plentiful and the v-8 conversion is pretty much a bolt in. Just check the wheel base.  As far as a diesel, 6bt 12 valve Cummins and a 4bt are priced about the same. You need to find a donor truck so you get all the " goodies" you'll need for the  conversion. I'm putting my 1955 on an F450 chassis but my truck cab is highly modified. http://www.ratrodnation.com/forum/index.php?topic=6881.msg45824#msg45824
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
If you're looking to make it look 1 ton dually, why not a late model Dodge pickup??  If you can lay your hands on a truck with a bad body and all the running gear intact, you're miles ahead. 

For me, I'd get me a Chevy dually and go BBC.  I'm NOT a diesel fan. If it had to be diesel, I'd find a running wrecked Duramax!!  Just my preference!!

Lowboy is right though. Whatever you go with, try to find a running donor vehicle!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Techrecruit

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
Thanks guys.  I’m actually a chevy guy as well but hear good things about the cummins diesel and ease of fit.

Was hoping someone out there knew of a good year/model of dually that would be an easy fit to my cab/fender.  Was guessing something older is better bc or less electronics and junk to pull off the donor

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
Biggest obstacle I see is the width from hub to hub on them old trucks. Forgot to tell you to check that. I think that's why everyone uses the s 10 . The track is less than a full sized truck. Have you considered building your own frame? Maybe just retro-fitting the Cummins into your frame? Just spitballing some ideas your way if you have problems finding a suitable donor.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:22 AM »
Biggest obstacle I see is the width from hub to hub on them old trucks. Forgot to tell you to check that. I think that's why everyone uses the s 10 . The track is less than a full sized truck. Have you considered building your own frame? Maybe just retro-fitting the Cummins into your frame? Just spitballing some ideas your way if you have problems finding a suitable donor.

You and I think alike, lowboy!   I used the factory frame on my Jeep pickup. You can swap ANY Dually rear end onto your springs! Build your original front axle and update the steering and brakes, raise or lower the suspension by any of several classic methods, and drop whatever drivetrain you chose into your frame rails.  CLASSIC HOT RODDER STUFF!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:47:34 AM by Blackwater »

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
I think that hotwheels posted the dimensions for s-10's and also what years are the most likely to fit.......but all I remember was there was 3 different ones ......
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Techrecruit

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  I may just start with rearend and go from there.  Donor frame swap just seems like it’s fairly intensive and It’s a 1 ton beast and not concerned about upgraded suspension etc...

Any chance you guys would know of the simplest dually drop in so I can start scouring craigslist and salvage yards

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
Make sure that the rear end that you buy is wide enough for your frame!  The ones from small cargo vans and the like are too narrow!! 

Take a measuring tape and know the width of your frame and current rear end when you go!! 

Check the gear ratio of your potential purchase to be sure that it is suitable for your planned combination.

Plan on moving spring perches and shock mounts, but look for a setup that will fit the easiest. I put a Dana 70 under my Jeep truck and only had to move the spring perches.  The shock mounts worked without modification!

AGAIN!!  Try to find a donor truck that has most of what you want!!  A modern drivetrain can be installed in your frame and if you get the electronics and linkages and mounts, you are miles, (AND HOURS) ahead!!

Tags: