AuthorTopic: Turning away rat rods?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1928 Dodge 4 Dr
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Turning away rat rods?
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:14 AM »
I've heard some disturbing rumors that rat rods have been turned away at some major shows and cruises. Paso cruise on the west coast? Hunert car pileup? and most recently Billetproof Florida?
I'm hoping some of this may be due to junk rods. Does anyone have any facts on these or others?
"Just because it's primer, doesn't make it a rat"

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Turning away rat rods?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:51:57 AM »
I have heard that too and i wonder the same thing. I haven't seen any bad rat rods yet so it would be hard for me to judge what a bad build is, but i hate to think people are getting pissy at car shows because rat rods draw more attention then some of the 100k trailer queens....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
Even junk rods are fun to look at. Hey, if they make you smile, good job. It doesn't have to be your style to be fun. The 65 Impala post is an example of a car I would not drive but it's fun to look at.
Check this 40 Ford out. (Florida has no DOT inspections)

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:23 AM »
Yep, does happen, mainly over the top, not safe/legal builds or "mock rods" like the 65 Chev, and the Ford. I did not say they are not fun, or creative, nor would I say they don't have a place (I cant afford to loose the votes) but they are being turned away from some shows.

Offline Steve

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
    • Rat Rod Magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
I've been contacted by some event coordinators and been told how much I am hated, rat rods are hated, the magazine is hated... etc etc etc. I've been threatened and insulted, and told to spread the word that rats are not welcome.

I don't think it has much to do with "junk rods" as it does with principal.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing though - if they want their shows to themselves, so be it. We need to host our own shows. Rats are becoming popular enough now to where a rat rod event will be a big draw.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing though - if they want their shows to themselves, so be it. We need to host our own shows. Rats are becoming popular enough now to where a rat rod event will be a big draw.
That is an awesome point steve.....hellz yea

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
OK, I got the word from "Poor Boys" that hosted the Billetproof Florida. The rats that were turned away did not meet show rules. A 67 car and a couple with late model alloy wheels. Those rules have been in the media and should be well known to all. I don't see a problem with that...

Offline Steve

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:55:01 AM »
You can't blame shows for turning away cars... it's THEIR show... I mean, you wouldn't force a Ferrari show to accept a Porsche right? And lets face it, people throw the "rat rod" label around pretty loosely these days... who knows what shows up.

Rat rodders just have to find shows that work for us, or create our own...  I really foresee a large increase in rat rod only or rat rod focused events this season.

Offline ezrat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
I hope you are right about the rat rod only shows Steve. I know in my area it would be hard to get more that 6 together at one time. Many shows I go to, my car is the only rat...

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Don't Like It Don't Read It
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 03:26:35 PM »
These are the events that are run by people making a fortune putting on these shows. Snobish hobbyist who pay someone else $100,000 to have their Deuce Coupe built. They then roll off a trailer push the car in and dare anyone to approach them and ask a question about the car. The rat rod world, hopefully, will save the hobby and these snobs will eventually fade away or get their heads out of their rears. It happens at a lot of shows here in the Atlanta area.
Take a kid to a car or bike show...pass the hobby on to the next generation

Just because the paint is flat, don't make it a rat

Offline Kenney

• Rest In Peace Kenney
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Vehicle: 1938 Chevrolet Panel
  • Activity:
    0%
  • R.I.P. Kenney 12/16/2011
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:39 AM »
I like going to these shows just to see if I can get an award. It really pisses them off then when I do get one. LoL So far I have never been turned away. Not that some of the participants would like to see that. Went to one and I was parked beside a couple of the high dollar rods. (And yes they were super nice). My Rat got more attention than they did. They were fuming!!
Passed away on 12/16/2011. You'll be missed our friend. Godspeed.

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
That is when it is cool...park next to the high dollar cars and get more attention...we love parking the Merc next to them...we always get the attention... 8)
Take a kid to a car or bike show...pass the hobby on to the next generation

Just because the paint is flat, don't make it a rat

Offline Fletch

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:29 AM »
Our model car club here in Portland hosts the model contest at Billetproof Washington.  I am not aware of any cars being turned away from that event.  We also host the model contest at the Portland Roadster Show (PRS), there is always the potential for cars being turned away from that event as you have to submit photos of your car at least 30 days in advance of the event.  The selection committee is charged with selecting what cars are and are not selected for the show.  PRS hosts a mix of trailer queens as well as local home built rides, and rat rods are part of that.

We are seeing more and more Car Culture events here in the PNW.  The Rose City Roundup is coming up June 18th, it is hosted by the Driven Dead CC, and will be attended by Rat Rods and trailer queens as well.  I guess it has a lot to do with the culture where you live and the car people there.  If a club or organization has a set of rules that limit what can or can't be exposed or a year limit and those rules are published, then you shouldn't expect them to look the other way just because you show up with your '73 or newer coupe at a pre-'72 event.

Bottom line is know the rules of the event you're going to attend and don't complain if your ride doesn't fit those rules and you get turned away, or at least tell the whole story.

Fletch

Offline Electric Eric

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Stray Tatts Studios
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
I do one cruise a week, Sunday. I don't go to show the Gassah, I go to meet up with friends. There's too many judgemental idiots to deal with that walk around the car, tell you what they don't like about it, and get in their mini-van and leave. I built mine for my enjoyment, not to drag it out and have a bunch of people judge it and tell me what they'd do if it was theirs. I drive the Gassah all winter, and the last winter was pretty bad around here. This is a friend of mine in the panel truck and me in the Gassah during a blizzard. I drove 30 miles to meet up with him and do this!
http://www.facebook.com/Electric.Eric.Berghman#!/video/video.php?v=1467551020434
If it ain't broke, break it!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
Very kewl eric......

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
I attend at least one show or cruise in every week . We never seem to have a problem with the shiny boys around here , but you can tell they do get jealous of the attention we get . The average rat turnout around birmingham  is 5-7 per show . I have gone to Goodguys in Nashville with my car with great success and that show is about as uppity as there is around here . I must say the most fun i've had was at the Red Neck Rumble in lebenon Tn. , it is a true to life rat rod show , there were over 600 rats there last year .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%