AuthorTopic: In Your Words  (Read 3195 times)

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
In Your Words
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »

How Has the SEMA Action Network Served the Auto Hobby?
Over the years, the SEMA Action Network (SAN) has had many significant legislative and regulatory accomplishments for the vehicle enthusiast community on issues ranging from equipment standards to registration classifications to emissions test exemptions to hobbyist rights. As the SAN celebrates its 16 years in existence, we’re looking for your words on how the SAN has helped create more hobby-friendly laws and regulations.

Describe your account on how the SAN has created new opportunities for the hobby and you may see it in print!  Hot Rod Magazine will publish the best story and your photo in a future issue.  Entrants must be members of the SEMA Action Network.
To enter, submit 250 words or less by e-mail to SAN@sema.org (please use 'Hot Rod/SAN Contest' as the subject) or by fax to 909-860-0184 or mail to:  SEMA Action Network, 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA  91765.  Provide your name, car club affiliation (if applicable), mailing address, phone and e-mail. 
Deadline for Submission is July 31, 2012
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: In Your Words
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
Here's the story i submitted: In September of 2010, I picked up a ’47 Ford cab and frame out of Colorado that did not have a title. When I bought the truck, I saw the potential it had and decided to go ahead and buy it. After beginning the build, I installed a Ford 400 engine and a C6 transmission as well as a radiator. I started to mock up the box of the truck and, at that point, I figured I should also start working on getting the truck titled. I certainly wanted to make sure that after my build was complete, I could take it out for a spin on the long stretches of Wyoming’s highways. First, I called the local sheriff’s department and had them do a VIN inspection. The only number we could find was on the frame, and the sheriff recorded that number on the VIN inspection sheet. With the sheriff ’s VIN inspection and a photo of the truck, I went down to our county license plate/title division. I showed the lady behind the counter what I had and explained to her what I was doing. I was informed that the state had recently implemented a new process of getting a vehicle titled, which appeared to be written for new vehicles, not something being restored and brought back to life. I would have needed to get a vehicle appraisal (instead of using the bill of sale to determine value) and then purchase a surety bond in an amount of two times the appraised value. Since this is a older truck undergoing restoration, its value would have varied greatly depending on the appraiser. I expressed my frustration and was told that if I didn’t like the law, to contact my legislator and change it. I went online to SEMA SAN’s website, did some reading, and emboldened by the SAN’s history of successes, built up the courage to try to change a law I felt was unfair. Had it not been for the SAN, I would not have done anything other than give up. So, I sat down and wrote a letter to Wyoming State Representative James Byrd to explain the problem. Soon after, I received a detailed response from Rep. Byrd indicating that he was willing to help. “If this is the way the state is operating, no one will be restoring or at least registering and insuring vehicles in the state,” he wrote in response. Rep. Byrd worked with staff to draft legislation that would allow vehicles being restored by a hobbyist for personal use to be titled without a bond if the hobbyist provided a notarized bill of sale, a certified statement of the vehicle’s value, an affidavit of ownership and an official VIN inspection. On March 3, 2011, I received an e-mail from Rep. Byrd informing me that Wyoming Governor Matt Mead had signed the bill into law. Most hobbyists in Wyoming will never know Rep. Byrd, SEMA SAN or me, but the work we did will make things a little easier on those restoring a vehicle and, hopefully, keep the hobby of restoring vehicles alive and kicking. Link to the bill as signed by the governor: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2011/bills/HB0090.pdf

Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Redbeard101

Re: In Your Words
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
WAY to Go Bud!! :D
Every Day Above Ground is a Great Day..

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue