AuthorTopic: 4 Link Suspension design - Tubing Selection  (Read 5726 times)

Offline cDuck28Z

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
4 Link Suspension design - Tubing Selection
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Good evening!

I just joined the forum and I'm currently in the middle of building my first ride! I've restored several muscle cars but I'm currently building a 1939 Chevy Pickup that will some day turn into my NAVY Themed ride. Most of the frame is all built and I'm moving on to the engine and suspension part of my build.

The engine that I picked up is a new Gen III SBC 5.7 with somewhere around 400hp 425ftlb. I dont have a rear end picked up yet but I'm hunting for a Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. As for my question, I'm trying to decide what size steel tubing to use for my 4-link suspension. At first, the choice was 1.5"x.120 4310 DOM. Unfortunately, the cheapest I can get a 10' section for is $18.43/ft (vice $1.21/ft of 1.5"x.120 HREW) I'm wondering what you guys would do?!! Is the HREW going to be strong enough to hold up to that kind of torque??

Also, I found a very interesting article written for 'Chopper Frame Design' that has this to say:
"The initial resistance to bending of all carbon steels is almost exactly the same. It makes little difference what the grade is or what type of process made the tube. It all has nearly the same modulus of elasticity and in most applications is equally as stiff. Put another way all carbon steel tubing, (of identical size) whether it is lowly 1010 CREW or top of the line 1026 DOM have almost identical initial strengths when they are used to build a frame or a set of forks. If it takes, say, 500 pounds of force to deflect a section of ERW tube, the same force will deflect a section of high quality DOM. And put even another way we can say that all carbon steel tubes (of identical size) are equally as strong (or weak) with respect to initially resisting an applied load. Once the load exceeds the yield point, for a particular cross-section, the tube will start to bend. How far it bends; and how far it bends before fracturing; is determined by the physical dimensions of the tube and the grade of steel used in the tube and this is actually where the tensile and yield strength come into play."

Thank you in advance and I hope to be posting pictures of my project very soon!!!

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
Re: 4 Link Suspension design - Tubing Selection
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »
Welcome to the Nation. And I am sure that with the talent on here you will get all the helpful info that you are looking for.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline lyinlow

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
4 Link Suspension design - Tubing Selection
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
Personally I have always stuck with Dom. And also a little thicker wall than .120. I'm isually in the .1875 range as I thread the bars I don't like to weld in bungs if I do t have to. That being said I'm not concerned about the extra weight of the bars

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:37:32 PM »
Welcome to the nation The spherical ends i bought had a specific size i had to buy but the cost was no where near the cost your quoted! Try your local mechanic shop that deals with ... Railroad,mine,county,state,ect trucks and equipment The place i bought mine is a electrical contractor. Found her from a contractor that i deal with through the railroad 
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

miraclepieco

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »
Seriously, I used black pipe from the hardware store for the 4-links on my last build. Welded grade 8 nuts on the end for threads, and bought cheapo 5/8" heim rod ends on Ebay.  I dropped the hammer on that car lots and they never failed.