AuthorTopic: How Do I Fill a Low Mount Radiator?  (Read 2083 times)

miraclepieco

How Do I Fill a Low Mount Radiator?
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
I see lots of guys have radiators mounted lower than the engine (or engines higher than the radiator); how do you fill the cooling system when the radiator filler neck is lower than the engine water neck?  I have an in-hose filler neck but there isn't room to install it. Rusty advised me to jack up the front of the car, but I think I'd have to get it up to the ceiling before the radiator fill would be higher than the engine.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: How Do I Fill a Low Mount Radiator?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
Not knowing the set up, i think i would leave the water neck off, and connect the lower hose to the block. Start filling the system slowly and once you see the anti freeze appear where the water neck should be, stop. If it doesn't fill all the way in the block, poor more through the water neck hole until its high enough to install your thermostat..After that, put the top stuff back together, then top off the radiator. Next i would run the engine if you can at about 2,500 rpm and leave the cap off, that should help move any air out of the engine once it warms up. If you go much faster on the rpm's, it will probably blow out, if you go any lower, the antifreeze wont move through the cooling system enough, leaving air bubbles....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: