AuthorTopic: Reality for a Pennsylvania newbie need suggestions  (Read 4393 times)

Offline dusterjh

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Reality for a Pennsylvania newbie need suggestions
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »
Hi All,

I'm dead set on a 31 or older Model A rat rod.  From what I've learned in my research here is what I'm presuming...

I can do this chopped, z'd frame, air ride, SBC but really want a flathead V8 if possible for hopefully $10-$14K.?.?

Pennsylvania's rules for titling something that has no title or VIN# (i haven't bought a frame or body yet), I have read and can't find a definitive answer on what to do or best route to take is??

PA rules for inspection if titled as a hot rod, at least 7" opening for windows and windshield, open fenders and hood are ok??

How much can I do with minimal welding I see kits for different things but I do realize I will need to pay someone for some of it. 

I know the questions are all over the place on the forum and please don't laugh too hard just need a reality check before I attempt this project. 

Thanks in advance
Joe
Towanda, PA

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
Re: Reality for a Pennsylvania newbie need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
Joe , I would recommend Mike @ Cornfield customs , he is in the Cincinnati oh. area . HE IS AN EXCELLENT FABRICATOR ,  He builds ready to go frames and can probably supply you with a body . He is a member on here and you can check out much of his work here on the forum in the builds section and metal working sections . The man is good and deserves any recommendation I could offer . Please look him up , ------- Greg
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:08:07 PM by Greybeards Customs »
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

miraclepieco

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
To start from scratch is a daunting task for even an experienced builder. Have you thought of picking up someone's unfinished project? Always some on Ebay. That would give you a head start, and you can buy 'em cheaper than you can build 'em!

Offline dusterjh

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »
Thank you for the replies.
Greybeard I will definetely check into Cornfield Customs thank you for the recommendations. 
Miraclepieco I am open to unfinished or even "finished" vehicles I agree it's a huge undertaking. 
First my chopper has to go then I will have some funds  ;D   Here is a picture of my chopper, it's a blast but I'm already hooked on these Model A's.[attachimg=1]

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
I live in PA and titled my 30 from a NY registration.  You can get the needed documentation from any DMV courier or download from penndot.  You will need to have it inspected by  certified penndot inspection station for hot rod lisc.   As for a title you can use a title service like broadway title service.  Hope this helps.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
I agree, mike at cornfield customs is where i would start for a frame. You can find some bodies out there, but 31's are getting harder and harder to find. Mike at cornfield customs may be able to help you with that too, but look on craigslist, ebay, and google. You may get lucky.........that is a beautiful bike, thanks for sharing pic's of it...
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline dusterjh

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »
Thanks guys for the information, it's nice to see you guys put up with us newbies asking the same questions over and OVER.  :)
Oh and Rust T Nuts where are you at in PA?  I'm in the northeast corner small town Towanda.

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
Hi there, we are in south central pa about 40 minutes from Gettysburg in between Greencastle and Chambersburg.  10 minutes from Maryland and 20 minutes from West By God Virginia.  Right off of interstate 81.  Welcome aboard.  If you are looking for a rat project, my buddy owns a nice junk yard full of antique iron.  Thanks.

Visit me on Facebook @Rat Rod America

Offline dusterjh

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
I was just down to Allentown last weekend to the fair grounds for the swap meet.  I may just take you up on checking to see what your budy may have, I've got the itch and usually when that happens...  LOL

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »
welcome to the nation gotta to agree with the rest of the guys about there advice  8)
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
It's only time and money..

Visit me on Facebook @Rat Rod America

Tags: