AuthorTopic: '56 Ford pickup project  (Read 10393 times)

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: '56 Ford pickup project
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 04:16:13 AM »
WOW that's looking sharp.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 06:02:14 AM »
I am going to secretly make a recording of Blackwater in one of his moods.  About 30 seconds of it should get me banned from Facebook for life.

Here are a few photos of the gas tank fill and the new tank.   https://photos.app.goo.gl/qweQ6uw3i2xfWDVaA

now as to me getting frustrated or mad. . . . nah, maybe a bit of momentary peturbation, nothing more.

Now if he hands me the wrong wrench . . .  I can promise this, I will piss in his yard!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 04:39:09 AM »
Looking good again today! 8) 8) 8) I usually kick my"help" out of my shop when things get bad. My wife has be permanently banned.  :o Hahaha You know how that went over.  ;D
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 05:29:10 AM »
My wife never comes to the garage she does not want to know the money I am spending nor do I want her to no lol :)

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2019, 08:15:29 PM »
The wife visits often.  She'll walk the dog and come and see me most afternoons.  She used to spin a pretty mean wrench, herself!!

Anyhow, we got the fuel lines and fuel pump installed today..  Some of that braided hose stuff is really a pain!!  Also got the power steering hoses made and plumbed.  I built a bracket for the bottom of the steering column, but we ran out of time to install it today and Jeff got the locking drawer built of under the seat.  It needs paint and maybe a vinyl wrap and it's ready to go in too!

There are several little brackets, a pair of rear spring shackles, and some fasteners that are in route that we need to finish up the suspension.  The fuel system is now complete.  The A/C is sitting in the bed of the truck, awaiting its turn in the construction order.

We MIGHT ease it around on its own power tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:17:02 PM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2019, 07:47:06 PM »
We drove it down the street last night.  It drives pretty good according to Jeff.  I was a little too dirty to drive it.  We replaced the original rear spring shackles with new, longer ones that don't over center when you lift the rear end off the ground!  Lowered it about an inch and it probably improved the ride.  Of course, ANYTHING would have improved the ride.

Brake lines are now secured and brackets for the front brake hoses have been installed. We did spot a couple of VERY small power steering fluid leaks, but they only needed the fluid lines tightened.  Steering works really well, especially compared to what came on the truck.

We loaded it up this morning and took it to the muffler shop.  they put together a neat. clean system that is tucked up nicely into the truck, unlike the abortion that was on it when we picked it up.  We were able to re-use the mufflers and the collector flanges.  The rest was replaced.  The owner wanted electrically controlled exhaust cut-outs installed so that he could be LOUD when he wanted to.  The new system looks and sound MUCH better and clears everything well.

I've added some new pics.  When you look at where the pipe passes the starter, don't be fooled.  There's a lot more room than it looks like.  Some of the pics aren't my best, but if you look closely, you'll see in another photo that the pipe misses the starter pretty well.  The shop will post a video of the job on their U-Tube channel first of the week.  Check back in a couple of days and I'll add a link to their video!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 07:53:51 AM »
Looks good

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »

Here is the link

Now to deal with the few remaining issues and get her done!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Got the first road test on the little pickup in today.  I drove it over to the alignment shop that we use.  These folks have done my front end work for nearly 40 years! Everything from Lockjaw and Jeff's yellow mustang to my super gas and super comp drag cars, a couple of which have passed 200mph.  These are the people that i go to.  It now drives like a new, late model car.  Nice and tight and good road feel without any harsh or abrupt motion.

I raised the front, (put about 3/4" in the front shocks) and went over a bunch of the little things that needed correcting.  I had to remove the shocks when I realized that the inner adjusting sleeves had been installed upside down.  I'd just rolled the adjustment up on the passenger side shock when the bottom lock ring popped off.  The spring relaxed radically.  When I found the problem, I checked the other side and sure enough the ring had NOTHING to hold it in place but HOPE!!  What's an extra hour out of my day??  Pulled 'em both and put it to rights!!  Gotta' watch closely for that kind of thing...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:01:43 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
More extensive road test yesterday.  Almost completely positive.  Ride is substantially improved, steering is quick and feedback is good.  Handling is much improved. Brakes are plenty strong, but sensitive.  A few minor leaks we expected, should be ready to wrap up the remainder of the work and start the AC install in the next few days.

Truck had no trouble cruising at 95 mph, was completely smooth and comfortable with more to go.  Never ran hot, Oil pressure stayed up throughout and even the voltage gauge was holding steady at 14 for the most part.  Put a good 40+ miles on it.

Overall a very good test.  Blackwater has out done himself.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
AC is installed~   I have to say trying to fit everything under the dash is like a fat girl putting on yoga pants!

I haven't taken any pictures of the interior but I have a few of the engine compartment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zr2BLuNdz4GsKcef6

now down to the fine details to get er done.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »
Jeff has been working his ass off, trying to get this project finished up.

Meanwhile, the foot doctor has basically forbidden me from putting my left foot on the floor or putting any weight on it. If it weren't for the pictures, I wouldn't have a clue as to what's going on.  I'll be down for at least another week and a half and when I'm back on my feet i have to get my footwear and orthotics fixed so this doesn't continue to happen.

One of the goals of this endeavor waste make this look as factory as possible.  For the most part, I think we're getting it done.

I jus wanna' say here so everybody can see it, "Good job, Jeff!!"

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »
Good job Jeff

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
Thanks.  I get lucky if I keep at it.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 04:20:49 PM »
WELL!!  We finally finished the little '56 Ford pickup and Jeff delivered it last weekend.  I'll add some pics as a parting shot on this build.  The truck was driven successfully from Nashville to Atlanta without incident.

We, of course, did the Corvette front suspension with new brakes, coil over shock/spring assemblies, and new wheels to correct the offset for the new suspension. Jeff installed a new fuel tank under the rear of the vehicle, removing the cab mounted original tank and freeing up space behind the seat for small storage. He also installed an in/under dash A/C system that looks and works extremely well.

We corrected several poorly installed or thought out items on the vehicle and tidied up the under-dash wiring.

All in all, one NICE little truck!!

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 04:11:36 AM »
Very kool work! Now work to do on Lockjaw?

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 05:05:28 AM »
Looks really good

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:31 AM »
 Already started back on Lockjaw! Pulled the engine oil pan Sunday morning and I've set out a plan to build a "BOX" style pan for it!  I've collected a new block, cleaned, bored, decked, with new expansion plugs and cam bearings install, a new cylinder head, ported, polished, new, larger valves, new valve guides and springs, screw in studs, stainless roller rockers, raised intake ports, and milled to make better compression, a new, stroked and indexed crankshaft, a new roller camshaft, a set of straight cut timing gears, and a set of 6" "H" beam rods.  I lack rings and pistons, which will be custom fabricated for me by my friends at Total Seal and RaceTec/AutoTec in the next couple of months.  Ron at Iskenderian is putting together a new set of hydraulic roller lifters for this combination.

The entire assembly will be balanced by one of the local machine shops that specializes in high performance engines!

All of this to build a more modern, reliable engine that produces a good 250hp and will live in today's world of fuels and lubricants!

NEVER FEAR!!  It'll STILL be rat!!  No two major pieces came from the same engine!  Some of the parts are big time salvage stuff, (the camshaft is an old McGurk unit from the '60s, welded up and reground to modern specs!). The block is from ahold Jeep mail truck.  The crank is of unknown parentage, (bought it off of EvilBay!)

I've also collected some fun stuff, like an AOOGAAAAH horn and some other gadgets.  AND!!  I've got a set of the old C4 Corvette wheels and tires to go on it!!

I'm still in the "getting it all together" stages, but look for a new chapter in the Lockjaw saga in the near future!!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
GOOD news.  Always glad you're still working hard.
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Tags: