AuthorTopic: Pa. rat rod latest rules for registation/title  (Read 1630 times)

Offline FROG_PONDS

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Pa. rat rod latest rules for registation/title
« on: February 27, 2022, 08:20:32 AM »
Setting on my rat rod build for six years while taking care of my wife before she passed at 76 in 2019. Now it is time to get my build on the road. I am not up on the latest info. for Pa. rules and insider info. on getting my rod on the road. Even getting back on this forum has changed a lot. Can some please help me. Thanks Rich.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: Pa. rat rod latest rules for registation/title
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 07:10:54 PM »
I’m not familiar with the PA DMV or its rules and regulations.  My first thought would be to talk to someone who is currently operating a rat rod that you are familiar with.  If you have a title, you’re on the right track.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline FROG_PONDS

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
No title but this summer I will go to a car show and ask questions. I have been out of loop for a long time and need to get off my ass and get back in. Thanks for your input. Rich

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 08:02:19 AM »
I had some assistance from a nice lady at the local DMV office.  She walked me through some of the minefield.  In the end, I used a title search company and spent $300.00 to get my title and a guarantee that it was clear. 

Our DMV wanted to tax me on the value of the vehicle and run me around.  The lady at the DMV told me to collect the receipts where I bought parts and pieces and present them with the new title when I applied for license.  Saved me a bunch of money.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:45:25 PM by Blackwater »

Offline FROG_PONDS

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »
I got my 47 ford cab from a person in Ohio and it was striped down. There was no serial number on the cab anywhere. Without a serial number or (vin) number I don't. think I can apply for a title. I found some old (2006) information on another forum indicating that I could apply for a title without that number. I did find out that the Vin number is located on the frame of 47 ford trucks not the cab. I am now fishing for (2022) info. rather than (2006) info. Thanks Rich

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 10:48:57 PM »
What frame are you using on the project?  If it's a modern frame, you MAY be able to title it with that VIN#.  If you're building your own frame, you may be able to apply for a "builder's" title.

Come to think of it, you might also explore a salvage title.

Offline FROG_PONDS

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 05:56:15 PM »
 I built my frame from 2x4 tubular steel. I have  never herd of a "builders" title. I will look into that. I did find a enhanced inspection station in my area that has dun rat rod inspections in the past. I am going to make an appointment with him to discuss my options. He said he will help me. Thanks Rich

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:29 PM »
Good luck!!  That sounds like solid thinking!

Offline FROG_PONDS

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 07:52:07 AM »
I did find some year 2006 info. on how to register a rat rod in Pa. without having a title. It may take me all summer to do it based on the old info. that I got but I am going to try. If I can do it I will post how I did it as it progresses. There is no so called rat rod title but it can be registered as a street rod for which I can get a street rod title. I will post as needed. Rich