Rat Rod Nation builds > Rat Rod Frame/Suspension/Brake Q&A

Radius rods? Rack and pinion

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mattsixx:
I think we are on same page. Great chatting with you man.

notw:
I have got my steering almost set up and am questioning my use of rack and pinion a little myself. There is a local guy that uses it and loves it but I am worried with it mounted to the frame I will have too much travel for the rack everything is pretty level and in line. As of now I do not have a pan hard but have an idea for one. I will attach a pic of the current setup do not mind the steering arms they are temporary and I am in process of making the ones I will actually use.

Blackwater:
Looks pretty good to me!! If you have a radiator and other items that will be added to the front, make sure to adjust the height of the rack AFTER everything is, (at least temporarily) in place.

ALSO!!  Be sure that the radius rods and the steering linkage don't interfere throughout the ENTIRE range of travel of the suspension. Don't forget to triangulate those radius rods, and I'll suggest a gusset or gussets on the rod end mounts at the back ends of your radius rods. Pics of your rack mounts will help!!

notw:
Thanks for the advice....it is free and clear through the whole range of motion (found that out after it was to low the first way I mounted) and yes I need to set everything on the front tonight and see how it sits......the rack mounts and rear radius rod mounts are about 2x3 blocks 3/4" thick drilled and tapped and fillet welded to the frame

Blackwater:
I'm glad iffy advice helps.  I've torn up stuff all my life doing things most people never dream of.  I sometimes tend to over engineer and even build much stronger than needed, but my motto has always been "The ass you save may be your own!".  Folks I build for don't complain that it was "built too light!"  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version