Rat Rod Nation builds > Rat Rod Body Discussions

chopping top advice

(1/5) > >>

just old:
thinking about chopping the top on my 34 ford pickup about 2 to 3 inches . it seems like it would be pretty simple as the back corners are straight and the front window post are straight also . I am making new doors , the one I have are be on repair so just used skin off of old doors . you any advice would be helpful .

Art

lowboy:
check your measurements! then check them again  ;D think theres a build thread on here somewhere about a chop think graybeard did it. I did mine but a VW is not square.

hotwheels:
Before you chop the top, be sure to buy some rebar. Use the rebar and weld it all around the inside of the cab, between the doors, from the dash to the back of the cab, etc.....you want that sucker tight so when you remove the top, the body stays together, if you don't use the rebar and cut the top, it the body will spring open....

Dogfather:

--- Quote from: hotwheels on April 20, 2014, 07:46:48 AM ---Before you chop the top, be sure to buy some rebar. Use the rebar and weld it all around the inside of the cab, between the doors, from the dash to the back of the cab, etc.....you want that sucker tight so when you remove the top, the body stays together, if you don't use the rebar and cut the top, it the body will spring open....

--- End quote ---

From what I have heard and read that right there is the best suggestion of them all other than if you think you measured it right measure again and don't hesitate to get a second opinion... and this from someone who has not chopped a top.

hotwheels:
here is a link from the site on where i set up and chopped the top on the 31 ford: http://www.ratrodnation.com/forum/rat-rod-builds/1932-ford-coupe-rat-rod/75/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version