AuthorTopic: Blackwater's coupe's getting fat  (Read 109263 times)

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Blackwater's coupe's getting fat
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
My apologies for slowing Blackwater down as I'm the jackass that busted up my Mach 1.

Sometimes he just has mad skills, other times I could swear I see steam coming out of his ears.  The little coupe is a neat project and his attention to detail throughout is way to nice to think of as rat.

Now if it were a true rat rod, he would have let me do the wiring!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »
Welcome to the nation Jeff, lots of guys around here don't like doing wiring, but we do carry fire extinguishers.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
So I got the brake pedal reworked.  It's an inch and a half longer, laid back a couple of inches, and the pedal plate is now at a better angle.  It feels tons better!!  I also installed the hydraulic parking brake valve and lines.  I put it right beside the driver's seat between the seat and the body, attached to the floor. 

I fixed a tiny pinhole in the oil pan.  I kept getting a drip after a hard run on the engine and a smokey mess on the header.  Yesterday I happened to look up at the pan while the car was on the rack.  I'd just driven it around the yard so I could back it into the shop, and there it was!!  A tiny drip of oil that seemingly had no origin.  When I wiped it off, the drip came back and showed me the spot!!

I replaced a faulty temp gauge and did some more tidying up under the dash.

Jeff came over this evening and helped me bleed the brakes, adjust the shifter, and adjust the TV cable on the transmission.  All of those are things that are really a pain if you don't have a pressure bleeder for the brakes and it's nearly impossible to adjust those cables by yourself.

Tomorrow I get to order the last of the pieces for the doorways and the window tracks, and when I get done here I'm going to order the replacement panel for the bottom of the passenger door!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2016, 08:28:27 PM »
All of the pieces are in the works or on the way.  Callenjr81 has louvered a trunk lid for me and it's really nice looking at the pics!!

I have all of the body parts drawn up and my metal guy says they'll be ready to pick up sometime Monday.

One thing I don't understand.  Why is it you can only buy door patch panels in pairs??? >:(  I had to buy a door for the passenger side of the car.  The door on the left had a nice, solid skin, but the new door was rusted out at the bottom on the outside.  I could use one panel if anyone would sell one, but I bought two because nobody would sell me just one. I also need a garnish molding for the driver's door where the bottom of the window meets the upholstery.  I DON'T NEED TWO!!! I'll have to pay over a hundred bucks to get just one 'cause they don't sell singles!!!

I'm gonna' try to find one used. maybe there'll be one at some of the swap meets coming up.  I did see a pair, actually a whole set for a Tudor on evil-bay.  If they don't go NUTS bidding I may place a bid next Thursday when it's about to close.

I also decided to add a transmission crossmember, even though the engine and tranny are on motor plates.  I have it all fabbed up except for a couple of pass through sleeves in the tubing where the bolts that fasten it to the frame go through.  I'll finish it up tomorrow and get some paint on it.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:31:27 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:06 PM »
I went hardware shopping this morning and then to the shop.  New steel line to hook up my vacuum advance and a perfect grommet to go in the hole where the wiring harness passes through. I found and installed some slugs to finish up my transmission crossmember and slicked it up and painted it. I removed the alternator so's I can get it checked out and figure why I got no charge!!

I bought some plastic tubing to make cushions for my windshield clamps.  I cut and split the tubing and put it on the clamps where they contact the windshield.  I was tightening the last bolt and THE DAMNED WINDSHIELD CRACKED!!!

I'll be off to the glass shop in the morning for another windshield.  Glad I decided to keep the pattern!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2016, 02:58:38 PM »
I got the rocker panels done today and I installed that transmission crossmember.  I also got started on patching the passenger door.

The driver's side door is finished, frame and all.  I do need to install the window and track, but I figure to get all of the welding done so I can re-install the alternator and replace the busted windshield.  I did stumble onto an original sun visor from a '30 Model A and Callenjr81 made me a new trunk lid skin that'll be here tomorrow while I'm gone!!

I taking the weekend off to go shooting!!  I play cowboy from time to time with real guns and real ammo, and this weekend is the start of a new season for me. I haven't shot in competition since last July when I had my rotator cuff rebuilt, so this will be interesting!!

Anyhow!!  Here's some pics!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:58:15 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »
I put the carb in the shop to get it dialed back a little.  It had some weeping at idle in the secondary and the accelerator pump in the secondary occasionally dumped a small drop or two, also at idle.  We decided to replace the throttle plate to eliminate a bad piece of linkage and simplify the entire system.

It'll be ready in the morning and I'll have it going tomorrow night.  Gonna' try to get the header wrapped this evening and finish the revamp on the plenum chamber.

Lockjaw is now legal!!  Got tag and registration today and should receive a new title in a month or so.  The vanity tag should be ready in three weeks or thereabouts.  Gotta' call my insurance agent too!!

I should be able to do Honest Charley next weekend if the weather is good.  I'm not enthused about driving in a bunch of storms and stuff.  A little rain, maybe, but not a steady downpour.

I'll put up some new pics tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:58:51 PM by Blackwater »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
That is awesome. Congrats
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
SO!!  I get home from the shop just before midnight Thursday night and sit down at the computer to do a couple of things. All of a sudden I get this massive head rush!!  I've been suffering from severe vertigo ever since.  My wife is on spring break, so I got her to drive me over to the carb guy's place to pick up my carburetor.  When I wobble back to the car, I suddenly throw up violently and nearly pass out!!  Made it home and went to bed for several hours, but I'm still drunker than a cootie.

We spent several hours Saturday at the emergency room while they ran numerous tests. They found NOTHING conclusive even with a CT scan, EKG, and several samples of blood.

I took a big dose of dramamine last night and made it through my band gig with no major problems.  A little better now, but I'm still on a BIG cheap drunk!!

Anyway!!  Almost everything is at the shop to finish up and it'll take two good days to get it together. Jeff has ripped the driveshaft out of the Mustang. We expect parts midweek and we're upgrading more drivetrain parts.  I'm hoping I can muddle through the week and be ready for the Honest Charley show on Saturday, weather permitting.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
Well shit, that sucks. I was getting vertigo a while back and it turned out to be my high blood pressure meds. Are you on anything for blood pressure?

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
Yeah.  I've laid off of everything the last couple of days.  No change.  Gonna' go back to the quack's tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Callenjr81

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2016, 05:23:42 PM »
Hope you get well soon

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:03 PM »
Get well Buddy
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
Jeff is picking me up in the morning and we'll do a little work on Lockjaw and I'll set up his pinion in the new bearing assembly. My problem is only bad when I'm standing and particularly when I walk. Sitting is okay aside from having trouble maintaining a steady gaze for more than a minute at a time.

I have a follow up with my doctor tomorrow afternoon.  I've been struggling with my sugar levels for a while and I'm thinking I need to change meds.  They have decided that my sugar levels were still within safe levels and that this is likely an inner ear problem. Likely it's a low grade infection, a residual of a head cold I had a few weeks ago.

I'll get through this and I don't think I'm in any real danger, but thanks for the encouragement and well wishes!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:59:11 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »
We got the manifold and header assembled and did some sculpting in the manifold plenum to reduce volume, enhance the flow,  and try to improve throttle response.  You know how tunnel rams don't work well at low speeds.  I may or may not show what we did, depending on how well it works.

I got the license plate holder frenched into the rear panel. It still needs a little trimming up, but I got the result I was after.  The whole plate can only be seen from directly behind.  You can see some of it from other angles, but not all of it. 

I put the carb back on this evening and it works much better.  The new linkage is a little quicker to bring in the secondaries, but it seems to be okay. It now idles without going rich and the accelerator squirters don't dribble anymore.  We did put smaller squirters and needle and seat assemblies in it and the throttle linkage can be set up to work the TV cable to the tranny without the adapter.  That'll make the whole throttle system work easier and smoother too.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
We got Jeff's rear end reassembled this morning.  I think it'll be better than ever.

He set in on the passenger side quarter and rooted out about a half a gallon of old body filler and straightened out some of the worst dents.  I have trimmed the quarters in front of the wheels and reinforced them with half inch square tubing.  It looks a lot better and it's much sturdier.

We removed the old windshield and installed the new one. There is enough good glass left in the old windshield that I MAY have it cut down into a couple of wing windows like the roadsters have and mount them to the front of the doors.  Anyhow, the new windshield looks better than the first one.

Jeff says the right quarter will be ready for paint tomorrow and we may get a start on the driver's side.  Since I had to forgo the Honest Charley show, I'd like to drive it to a gig I picked up at Highway 12 Motorsports next Saturday.  They're having an open house and hired my band as entertainment for the afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:18:30 PM by Blackwater »

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
It'll be ready for primer.  Paint would be wasted on Lockjaw.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
It'll be ready for primer.  Paint would be wasted on Lockjaw.

YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!!!

Offline Callenjr81

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2016, 07:03:35 PM »
Lookin good I almost gave you a call to swing by and take a look at it when we where goin through Nashville but we where runnin behind

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »
Callenjr81

Did ya' get to stop and look around or did you have to go on to Gatlinburg??

I live over west of I65 about a half hour, over off of I24.  Gimme a call on your way back through if you come this way.

Offline Callenjr81

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2016, 05:16:31 AM »
We did stop in nashiville for about six hrs went to Broadway and checked it out we stayed in cookeville last night then goin to dandridge to look at some property I also heard there is a classic car junkyard in Knoxville would like to check that out if we go back that way I will difentily give you a call there is a 32 ford body in Ohio I might go look at on the way home so might head up that way

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Sounds fun. Wish we could take a road trip. Between staying in a hotel and the dang snow, no traveling up here.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Jeff busted his butt today!!  When I posted that we'd get that quarter in paint today,he took it real serious like.  I think he outdid himself!!

I got the window tracks installed and made reinforcements for the split wishbone mounts.  I never liked how they looked.  Seemed too flimsy, and after an incursion with my car dolly that bent one of em, I've been eyeing 'em with plans to do something to make 'em suit me.

I plan on finishing the windows in the morning and then meeting an old racing buddy of mine that has a metal break and a shrinking tool.  We'll finish shaping the trunk lid that Callenjr81 made for me.  If all goes well I'll have it on too  before the week's out!!

Y'all take a gander at Jeff's quarter panel!  He just got promoted from shop monkey first class to MUD MASTER!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:00:15 PM by Blackwater »

Offline hollisc10

Blackwater's coupe's getting fat
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2016, 08:44:08 PM »
Hope it's nothing serious so you can get back to spinning the coupe's wheels instead of the room!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
Awesome and congrats to Jeff on the promotion. Mud monster is a dang important position.

Tags: FORDODGE