AuthorTopic: My rat rod build. 49 Dodge Pilothouse.  (Read 2326 times)

Offline RustyRatRod

• Head Flunkie In Charge
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
My rat rod build. 49 Dodge Pilothouse.
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:31:59 AM »
It occurred to me that I had not created a build thread on my truck yet after being a member here a while now. I am going to try to start hanging out here a little more, as the welcome on another forum has kinda worn out. Probably my fault more than anyone. Anyway, Here is what will power it a quick before and after. I will get more pictures off my old laptop and put them on this computer to post here as well. Just give me a little time. This is a 1956 331 Hemi out of a 1956 Dodge D500 dump truck. Here is the before shot. Then the after shot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:34:18 AM by RustyRatRod »
Jesus said I am the truth the way the way and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: My rat rod build. 49 Dodge Pilothouse.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »
Looks good. Any go fast goodies in her?
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline RustyRatRod

• Head Flunkie In Charge
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:57:25 PM »
Well yeah. What fun is stock? It's blueprinted at 9.3:1 for starters. Has a custom grind Oregon cam in it. Small solid. .453 lift/240 @ .050 duration ground on a 106 LSA so it's gonna sound way nastier than it is. Hot Heads adjustable pushrods. Only exhaust I am going to run is a pair of home made funny car style zoomies with rain caps on the ends. It should be really snappy in a truck that's going to end up curbing at under 3000 pounds.
Jesus said I am the truth the way the way and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »
I had Oregon repair and regrind a roller cam for my little 153 inch four cylinder.  Ground for a hydraulic roller setup!!  I'm really wanting to find out how it will run, but I just got home from a two month stay in the hospital.  Gonna' order my pistons and rings and a new set of roller lifters in the next few days.

Maybe by the time that all arrives, I'll be in some shape to put it together!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline RustyRatRod

• Head Flunkie In Charge
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
You will like it. I've had them grind a few for me. They ground this one from the original hydraulic core I sent them. Ken is very good at what he does. I thought at first it was a strange thing they could "make" a solid from a hydraulic, but he explained that the older cored were hardened clean to the core and that he had done this for decades. He changed it from "whatever" lobe separation it was (probably around 115) down to a 106. Boy did that take some material! The base circle is almost even with the core. Looks kinda like a cheater cam. Of course it required longer pushrods and since it now required an adjustable valve train I simply went with some Hot Heads adjustable pushrods. It worked out really well.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Very kool. A truck that light it'll be plenty of motor... for a while ;D
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline RustyRatRod

• Head Flunkie In Charge
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:32:14 PM »
Thanks. I've done a bit more to it since my avatar picture. I'm going to get some pictures this weekend when I am off and post them here.

Offline RustyRatRod

• Head Flunkie In Charge
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
My apologies for not updating pictures yet. I've been so busy with work and things around the house.....plus the weather has been cruddy here. I'll get some soon.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 04:49:47 AM »
I ,totally, understand. Josh brought his everyday driver by and we did a fuel filter. Still has a miss. Guess the injectors are next. Only $79. each. 

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
You guys no how it works the faster I try to go the feather behind I get , some days it is just crazy

Tags: