AuthorTopic: 27 Roadster Build with Fiberglass Body  (Read 8691 times)

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
27 Roadster Build with Fiberglass Body
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Well, I know fiberglass and rat don't really fit together, but Blackwater and I have been gathering parts to build up something I hope will turn out pretty cool.

Currently we have gathered a 26 T roadster fiberglass body with rear fenders and separate front fenders and running boards, and expect that it will use a 366 Chevy Big Block (dump truck engine) a powerglide, a Corvette C-4 front suspension and a Lincoln LS independent Rear suspension (all parts currently on hand)

We intend to build a custom one off frame with the intention of it being a quick, well handling car.  It should look like a drag car  but handle like a club racer.  I do not anticipate putting in heat, or a radio. I'm not going to put a top on it or some fancy wheels.  I intend to paint it myself (Which might turn out to be "rat" but is not my intent)

I do not anticipate faking patina or anything of that nature.  It will be, what it is-a simple car with few amenities that simply works.

Is this a build the forum members would have interest in, or is it simply not "Rat Rod" related enough?  I'm cool with either answer.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: 27 Roadster Build with Fiberglass Body
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
Sounds fine with me, I'm always looking for something different thats built to drive. A fiberglass "T" body might be older than some of the rat rods Ive seen they have built them for a long time. (late 1950's early 60's)

miraclepieco

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:31:52 AM »
A fiberglass "T" body might be older than some of the rat rods Ive seen they have built them for a long time. (late 1950's early 60's)

Right on.

I have a couple of friends who've built hot rods using really ancient fiberglass bucket T bodies. The red one has a heck of a history: it was built by a hot rod club (back when guys were too poor to build cars by themselves so they had 'club' cars), then was entered in the first ever Portland Roadster Show. Still has the PRS engraved valve covers. The green car was a totally derelict body off a junked bucket T that my buddy brought back to life and installed a Cadillac Northstar with a set of 8 Suzuki motorcycle fuel injectors.

Not sure if these are rat rods, but they both are really cool and have as much history as most steel bodied cars! 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:36:58 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 05:00:50 AM »
I think you should post the build because there are many other things to the build not just the glass body that will take place . And it is away interesting to see what up come up with and how it goes to gather

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:03:09 AM »
366? Isn't that a v6? :o And one big heavy sob!!! :P Kool sounding build Keep us updated ;D
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Xlarashun

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:06:18 AM »
I say 'Post Away', Friend!  :)
 T's are always a lot of fun and You can get as creative as YOU would like!
 8) 8)
Sanity is Not a Requirement, It just Slows Ya Down!!

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
OK

The 366 is a BB Chevy V8 Tall deck truck motor with a small 3.95 ish bore.  I hope we will lay out the suspension and get a material list for the frame in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
I want to toss out an idea here and see what y'all think.

For wheels and tires, I want to have something that will allow the car to really handle.  To clear the brakes on both ends I believe 16" or larger rims are going to be necessary.

I have a set of like new 19" P zero 's that I pulled off my 2015 Mustang as they are summer only tires and I use the car as a daily driver.

I'm thinking of having steelies made for the car and using these tires.  285's in back and 255's in front.  I've never seen a t with tires that are this low profile, but the overall height is right at 29.5 inches.

Since this car is not going to be built with a traditional frame, or suspension, I think these would be in the ballpark.

I won't ask if I'm crazy cause i already know that answer, but what do you think?

I'd like to get the tire size worked out to make frame layout more accurate.

miraclepieco

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:01:51 AM »
I think the tire selection would look awesome IF you make the car with a ground-scraping stance - sort of an Indy car look.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
That is the plan.  I believe having the wheel and tire size nailed down is going to be helpful in the chassis design phase.

miraclepieco

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:53:26 PM »
That is the plan.  I believe having the wheel and tire size nailed down is going to be helpful in the chassis design phase.

Yessirree, when building a car from the ground up, one should start with the exact wheel/tire size from the very outset. It is necessary to mock the car up to determine exact ride height, clearance, etc.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
Blackwaterr knows what he is doing and will guide me, but I want to learn the process myself along the way.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
Well!  Jeff stumbled onto a nice looking 348 chevy engine yesterday. Original 4bbl engine with some of the appliances included and a good cast iron Powerglide that we can sell to a restorer.  The kid that had the engine wanted a more modern drivetrain and this is a running unit.

It does have a small crack in the block that will eventually need to be further repaired, but it's not leaking now.  I'm figuring at some point to either tear down the engine and weld up the crack, something I've done successfully on a number of occasions, or have it TiGed up with silicone bronze by a friend who is familiar with that process.

Jeff picked up a pair of 19" wheels for the front of the car and we have a monstrous pair of 14x32x15 dirt track tires on a brand new set of Weld wheels for the back.  We figure to wear out the dirt track tires and replace 'em with pro street radials.

We settled on a kind of Pro Street/Pro Touring look.  Low and wide with full fenders and an accent on handling and stopping. The body is one of the Street Roadster bodies that are popular in NHRA drag racing with fenders and running boards and huge wheel openings in the back, hence the drag slick sized tires in the rear.

We delayed starting on it because I've been traveling a bunch and the weather has been too damned hot 'til now.  I still have several irons in the fire, so work may be sporadic, but we're accumulating parts and hammering out details. This won't be a "start building and see where we wind up"  job.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 05:04:17 PM »
Share some build pics.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
We're just stacking' up parts right now!!  I've still got that Galaxy to finish up before we can REALLY get going on the '27.

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »
So you are justa " 27 TEASE"
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
Sick and twisted, maybe!!

A Tease??  Nope!!!

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
I'm the "T"ease  :o

We made about a 1/4 inch of progress over the weekend and managed to get a broken tab welded on the aluminum powerglide we intend to use and managed to get the shop a bit more organized.

We were supposed to weld up the crack in the water jacket, but my friend with the porta tig didn't bring the right rod (I hate to bitch about free help, but that  really set us back another couple of weeks.)

We've got a lot of the parts lined up, more than enough to get a good start, but most importantly the damn jeep is now gone!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
We DID get rid of the CJ5 and a lot of related stuff!!

Now I gotta' decide if I'm gonna' get more stuff for the Lockjaw engine upgrade, OR parts for the FC170's new engine,OR............

Turns out  that we may get the 348 fixed tomorrow night.. Won't hurt my feelings!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »
Last weekend Jeff picked up a COMPLETE '99 Corvette tub and chassis!  It has ALL of the front and rear suspensions with the original Corvette wheels, ALL of the brake system,  ALL of the steering, and ALL of the cooling system!!

I'm less than a week from being able to put weight on the foot I nearly lost back in April, and the Galaxy is sitting there waiting on me!!  The '27 will move up to the front of the line behind that Galaxy!

I'm getting a little excited!!

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
Well just a little update, since Blackwater has been consigned to the sidelines for longer than expected, we haven't made much progress.  I did start a engine build of a 351 cleveland that will be 11.5-1 compression and a mild solid lifter cam.  I've got to go through an old 5 speed that I used to run in the Mustang and repair the damage, but I'm waiting on the machine shop for a few more weeks before I can start assembly on the engine.

As to stance-it will be as low as we can manage and will probably need bash plates under the engine and transmission.

Sorry for the delay-hope to have something interesting to post this spring

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »
Glad some progress is being made.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
I'm STILL nursing a screwed up foot.  Been down since last April and haven't actually walked in months!! 

Jeff is moving along on the engine and We're working on a final plan of construction.  He bought a tubing bender and all of the dies and we're looking at different chassis layouts to find one that performs and fits the car AND the driver.

Offline Jeff73Mach1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »
to fit the driver we'll be building an extra fat chassis

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »
Lol

Tags: