AuthorTopic: Is this truck to far gone?  (Read 5428 times)

Offline arndtnew3

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Is this truck to far gone?
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
Hi there new to the forum. My grandma is getting close to her death and gave me this truck at her farm. It belonged to my grandfather and he brought it brand new so its got some sentimental value and my uncles would all love to see it on the road again. I know this may be a stupid question but is this truck to far gone? I can do body work I have done some before and I have a buddy that said he'd help me who has restored two cars. I just want your guys opinion if I should invest my money, time and any work into it or just call the scrap guy and have her hauled away. I understand it wont be easy at all but I've always wanted a rat rod type vehicle and I am willing to put in time and work on it. Here are some pictures, not the greatest but here they are. Next time I am up I will take more pictures IF I take my truck up and trailer

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
Re: Is this truck to far gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
Welcome to the Nation. First question would be is how far are yu willing to go and to invest. And in bringing that F1 back to life are you looking at putting her back to her glory days ? To Rat her out ? Or  somewhere inbetween and shinny ?
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
shit, i think it's in great shape for a rat rod.......love the rust on it. As long as you are looking to take it back to new looking, the sky is the limit on what you can do with that body since it is so complete......oh, welcome to the nation and sorry to hear about your grandma's health.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline arndtnew3

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:16:14 PM »
Thank you for replying and thank you . My plan would to get her on the road  again. My uncles want her restored all the way like new  but I want the inbetween. I just love rat rod style. And yes im willing to invest. Besides that the truck would be awsome looking ckeaned up a tad it has an awsome story and everybody in my family remembers riding in her. Once winters over im going up there to dig her out And check out the chassis.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
I would go for it, great truck.  Wheels, brakes, nice running engine trans, seat cover, and some lights and you'll be the king of the Christmas ball.
Remember the safety thing, do it right and your money will be safe.

Offline arndtnew3

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
Okay well I looked at some photos on the web and I think its got the looks. I've already started dreaming. And you guys got me convinced. My only concern is that because the truck has sat there for 51 years the chassis might be rusted out and to far gone. But we shall see after I go dig it out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:35:21 PM by arndtnew3 »

miraclepieco

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
That truck is a great start - very complete and minor rust. You could restore it, or drop the body on an S-10 chassis and make it into a real cruiser.  Everyone on RRN will be glad to offer advice and help you spend lots of money   :P

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »
Come on, do it for your grandma, do it for the uncles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for your country!

Offline arndtnew3

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
Okay Im going to go for it. Ill post pictures in a month or so when the snow melts....to be continued

Offline Dogfather

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
wow that is a great platform to start with. if you want to spend 10K then let the word Original stay in your conversations.

if you don't care what motor and tranny is in it or what the lug pattern is that the wheels are or what brand the brakes are then the sky is the limit.

just a couple Idea's if Craigslist is an option in your area you can find running chassis for $500 to drop the body on.

anything is possible if your mechanically inclined or have a fat wallet.

Keep us up to date looking forward to see this Build Thread...
Edward

Tags: