AuthorTopic: Black Beast, the steam powered hot rod/rat rod  (Read 3590 times)

Offline jazz256

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Black Beast, the steam powered hot rod/rat rod
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is James and I'm building a steampunk steam powered hot rod/rat rod.
Quick backstory about this build:
I originally started this build in November of 2016. It was my entry in a good friends rat rod build off he was hosting that i didn't make. I decided to keep the build going as I am starting my own automotive company very soon. I was always fascinated with the unusual. I've always liked steam locomotives and steam power in general and steampunk is one of my favorite genres in science fiction. I have a lot of friends that own rat rods and me build a board track racer replica builder, I've built a lot of bikes in my teens. With that, I always wanted a rat rod. Generally, when someone asks what is the ultimate rat rod/hot rod; steampunk usually comes to mind. The issue I have with that is a lot of builders will make things look steampunk or steampunk inspired but leave out a key component: steam. As a former art student, artist and builder, I appreciate things in their natural form and things are "real." With that said, I decided to make this a live steam powered vehicle. The exterior design is of my own and the engine design is of my own. I did all of the construction of this vehicle with my uncle helping me wherever I got stuck or indecisive. I did my winning vehicle sketch when I was at work at HHGregg. I only had one view and that was enough. Everything I learn from this vehicle will be put into development for my first vehicle for my automotive company. I was always told that I could't do things. My own family told me that on multiple occasions and hurt a lot. But, for every time was told that, I sunk further into my passion, talents and abilities. From that, when I say I'm going to do something, you better damn well believe im going to make it happen. This is just the beginning for me and can't wait until the next thing I think of.

Offline jazz256

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Black Beast, the steam powered hot rod/rat rod
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »
here are the pictures. The top down view is my first original sketch done 2016. The side view is the new one i did this year.

Offline jazz256

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »
more pictures, this time, the actual build pictures.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 03:56:01 AM »
Kool concept! Will love to see it completed!
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
that is very cool looking I don't no any think about them

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
I grew up around Steam tractors. They are too hot in the winter! I've helped put flues in a couple boilers in Mt Pleasant Iowa. Big old steam engines. As a kid my brother loved it although he/we are more into the flywheel motor. Between us we have a dozen whistles Ranging from a Peanut "deadmans whistle to a large one off a foundry in Keokuk Iowa.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline jazz256

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
I grew up around Steam tractors. They are too hot in the winter! I've helped put flues in a couple boilers in Mt Pleasant Iowa. Big old steam engines. As a kid my brother loved it although he/we are more into the flywheel motor. Between us we have a dozen whistles Ranging from a Peanut "deadmans whistle to a large one off a foundry in Keokuk Iowa.
ive been looking for a three chime whistle for a while now. I'm thinking about making one unless i find an original one for a reasonable price.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
reasonable price is the hard part! I tried to buy a piece of capped copper from a scrap yard and they wouldn't sell it. woul have been perfect for the base I have. I'd try and find a scrap yard that will sell to the public. Also watch the crackheads as they sometimes scrap some good stuff. Watch craigslist

Offline jazz256

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »
i think I might just build a whistle out of copper. I can gain some experience that way.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
Wrapped copper with brass rivots would looks cool as heck and follow the steam punk theme.

Tags: