AuthorTopic: Fog Light Laws  (Read 1933 times)

miraclepieco

Fog Light Laws
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:52:26 AM »
As ever more new cars are equipped with factory fog lights (driving lights, road lights, whatever you want to call them) more drivers simply leave them on any time  their headlights are on. In the majority of states this is illegal. Fog lights are considered the same as high beams and must be deactivated 500 feet from any oncoming vehicle. Any time there are more than two lights showing on the front of your car in oncoming traffic you are in violation. Here is the Oregon law; most states have something identical:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/VehEq/Revised2fog_lights.pdf

Oregon Department of Transportation
News Release
Safety Division
Nov. 23, 2009

Use fog lights correctly and safely
With increasing numbers of vehicles on the road with fog or auxiliary lights, state transportation safety officials are reminding people to use vehicle lighting correctly and safely. Fog lights are designed to be used at low speeds in fog, heavy mist, snow and other situations where visibility is significantly reduced. Front fog lights are generally aimed and mounted low to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface. In low visibility situations, fog lights should be turned off when an oncoming vehicle approaches. In normal visibility conditions, fog or auxiliary lights should be turned off. “When a car is using fog or auxiliary lights, it’s very visually distracting for oncoming drivers,” said Michele O’Leary with the Oregon Department of Transportation’s Safety Division. According to Oregon law, fog and/or auxiliary lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be turned off within 500 feet of approaching an oncoming vehicle and 350 feet when following another vehicle. The color of fog and/or auxiliary lights is also regulated. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). Rules prohibit other colors such as blue. If you car came equipped with auxiliary lighting, O’Leary recommends knowing where the switches are and how to use them. If you plan to install fog and/or auxiliary lights as an after market feature, it is important to know that Oregon has adopted federal rules that all manufacturers must meet. Products must be labeled; anything that is labeled “not for street use” cannot be used on public roadways. Manufacturers must meet or exceed SAE and/or DOT manufacturing standards to market their products for street use. For more information on vehicle equipment and standards, visit ODOT’s Transportation Safety Web site,
www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Veh_Equipment.shtml
, or see the Oregon Driver Manual on the DMV Web site,
www.oregondmv.com
##ODOT##
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:56:52 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Fog Light Laws
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »
Just wish that the brain dead would go by the law. I am about to wear out my idiot switch. Between them and the fools that drive with there bights on.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Fog Light Laws
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:56:33 AM »
I'm guilty of that myself and i will try to remember to shut them off......great info.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.