AuthorTopic: Starting with Suspension  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Belligerence

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Starting with Suspension
« on: December 18, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
Hey out there, this’ll be my first post on here (or any other rod forum).
Just recently bought a 1950 F1 and im lookin to start buildin.
Theres nothin terribly special about the truck as it sits, 3” drop Speedwell axle with what looks to be original steering and leafs, 8.8 in the rear.
I’ve read alot of articles about front end swaps with the Mustang II and others. I’ve got a option to pick up a newer Crown Vic axle for dirt cheap. The cradle is 36” and my frames 32, so some obvious fabrication required. Then id have to put drop spindles on it (i guess)
I like the TCI kit for a couple grand extra haha. Anybody got any input on easiest or best route to go?
Thanks yall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Starting with Suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
truck looks pretty good the way it is right now . but change is fun , and makes it your own

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
Hello from S Illinois. Not real sure what to tell you as I have never done a swap like that. Widening your frame is easier than narrowing the Vicky front end. How's the track(width) spindle to spindle? Same or close? If it's wider you will have to get rims with a different off-set. Getting the power steering pump? The newer front end parts are easier to get. Disc brake is defiantly better. Is the 8.8 set for discs? Mine was.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Belligerence

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Starting with Suspension
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »
Hello from S Illinois. Not real sure what to tell you as I have never done a swap like that. Widening your frame is easier than narrowing the Vicky front end. How's the track(width) spindle to spindle? Same or close? If it's wider you will have to get rims with a different off-set. Getting the power steering pump? The newer front end parts are easier to get. Disc brake is defiantly better. Is the 8.8 set for discs? Mine was.
The track’s pretty close, i think id be okay on the same wheels for now. Its got a Toyota ps pump on it right now, need to research if it will work. And yeah this one does hzve discs

Offline Belligerence

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Starting with Suspension
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »
truck looks pretty good the way it is right now . but change is fun , and makes it your own
Thanks man, biggest reason is to get it easier to drive. I drive an old 350 everyday so im used to sloppy steering. But this old girl’s got about an inch of deflection at the center of the tie rod bar.
Im gonna make a tube and heim tie rod (like i build for off road rigs) and see how much that helps handling

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
HOWDY and WELCOME to the NATION from TEXAS.
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
Welcome from Middle Tennessee!!! 
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Belligerence

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Starting with Suspension
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »
Hey yall, im in east TN

Offline GCMopar

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »
Hello from Pa. Very cool truck! I know the crown victoria front ends are an easy swap for 60's and newer ford trucks that may apply to yours. I thought about going the route with my '93 f-150 build. If you do a google search you'll find many builds using this.

Offline Belligerence

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Starting with Suspension
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:56 PM »
Hello from Pa. Very cool truck! I know the crown victoria front ends are an easy swap for 60's and newer ford trucks that may apply to yours. I thought about going the route with my '93 f-150 build. If you do a google search you'll find many builds using this.
Hidy, I appreciate it. Yeah i think they widened the frames at some point. Dont kno if its worth doin or just goin with like a TCI bolt in

Offline Ratty51F1

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
I have a 51 F1 and I just did the CPP front IFS with the T bolts in the upper hats because it was the cheaper version but if I had to do it again I would spend I couple extra $$ to upgrade to the tab style that can't slip if You hit a Bad pothole

It was the first time I ever did anything like that and really wasn't all that hard to do, some grinding, measuring and welding

In the rear I did the TCI rear parabolic spring kit which was a bolt in for 51-52 just grind off the old rivets and drill 2 extra holes and all the old holes get used ... easy stuff, not sure about your year(check their instructions) and I ended up moving the upper shock mount bar forward an 1"-1/4 of their dimension as the shocks didn't line up top to bottom so watch out for that

Don't know if you are looking for a better ride but your trucks stance looks great as is

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:45:47 AM by Ratty51F1 »

Tags: