AuthorTopic: Ground clearance  (Read 4223 times)

Offline 40FordPU

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Ground clearance
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
Guys, I have a question. I'm building a 40 Ford pick up that has been chopped 3.5", frame has be Z'd and cab channeled. I wanted it to be low but drivable. I ended up with something too low for a static ride, but got it back up with changes to springs (changed to regular eye instead of reverse) and a 1" spacer under front leaf. So here is my question.... My final height at the lowest point will be 4" is this going to be enough? I am not looking for a modern car height but just dont want to get stuck on a driveway or in some car show lot. This would be AFTER loaded weight. So am I good?

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Ground clearance
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »
4" should be perfect. You'll probably have to go a slow over speed bumps and some driveways, but for the majority of your driving it's gonna be nice. Some say you should be able to sit a beer can under the lowest point of your frame and make sure that your oil pan isn't below the lowest point of your frame, don't need to rip your pan off.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »
Length of wheelbase, and how close the 4"s is to a wheel will play into this picture.  Four inches close to  a wheel is great, four inches in the center gets you a lot closer on a small hill/obstacle.

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »
4" is a very good overall height; it will look nice and low and still be generally drivable - won't scrape in most normal driving circumstances.

That's a good looking chassis and truck.

Offline 40FordPU

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
Thanks guys. The build is once again moving forward at a good pace and shooting for a late May 2014 show for the unveiling. Will post more as I go along.