AuthorTopic: steering box/steering colum on 50's GM  (Read 2697 times)

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
  • Referrals: 0
steering box/steering colum on 50's GM
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
I want to change my Colum, I have a '53 Pontiac Chieftain. The Colum it has goes right into the steering box. I have never dealt with a Colum that did that. The Colum I want to use is from a 62-64 Pontiac GP. Is it possible to use a open end Colum on a box like that? and if so, what do I have to do to make it work? Any help would be appreciated.
Willy Q.
Of Corpse I drive a Hearse !!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: steering box/steering colum on 50's GM
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:32:11 AM »
I'm trying to think here kinda slow.
I'm not sure of a good way to do what your trying especially on a heavy car like those era Poncho's, what about changing the box too?
I guess to answer your question Yes you can, but to make it safe or work right may be a problem.

Offline blackheart472

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Hearse driver
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
thanks, this is what I'm thinking, measuring the two columns, cutting the difference off the stock tube that goes into the box, and the end of the shaft that connects to the box, then use a u-joint to connect to new column shaft, or weld it. Then weld the end of the old column to the new one, and reinstall. If it works, it should look like stock.
Of Corpse I drive a Hearse !!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
If you weld the two shafts together, slide a sleeve (pipe) over one then weld them together then grind down and slide the sleeve over the joint and weld that on each end.  Try to install a "rag joint" in the shaft, I think the newer column has one on it.  U joints may make it easier, but try to use same method on the welding, we kinda want it to hold.

Tags: