AuthorTopic: counterfiet model A roadster pickup  (Read 9770 times)

Offline fuzz

counterfiet model A roadster pickup
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:32:22 PM »
 I wanted to build a A model rpu but real bodies are pricey sooo I'll build one from scratch. I did find a 1930 cowl on ebay and that would give me a base from which to start the body. I checked on demensins and added a couple inche in length and height. Built the frame work using 3/4 square tube. The frame will be straight forward with only a rear kickup, can't handle frame draggin rods since I live on a dirt road and my drivway has hump in the middle.
The funniest thing about my signature is, by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it!!

Offline fuzz

Re: counterfiet model A roadster pickup
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »
 I'm not skilled at forming sheet metal so the lowercowl and sides are all straight not curved, but it is tapered from the top to the bottom 3 in. Shortened a 9 in ford rear and built radius rods from scrap tube I have laying around. Plan to use coilovers on the rear and got a front axle assembley from RPM in tn. Also built firewall and rear bulkhead.
The funniest thing about my signature is, by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it!!

Offline fuzz

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
Front axle is RPM tube dropped with the spring behind the axle. I'm using 49-54 chevy spindles and disc brake kit from speedway. The axle bat wings are designed for 3 spring locations so you can raise or lower the front end, pretty cool I thought. Included apicture of the rear radius rod front mount, the ol tie rod end  rat rod style. And a pic of the rear shocks mounted

Offline fuzz

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
Truth is I'm way ahead of these pictures on this project, in fact the car is almost finished but I'm posting pictures I took along time ago. Wel every rod needs a motor so I had  a 283 and aluminum powerglide in the shed. Both needed rebuilds, just put em back mostly stock cep gear drive and small cam. Think you can see the windshield frame I built out of 1x1/12 tube.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »
 Every pickup needs a bed so I built a fake one from mostly 1x11/2 tube. It's 42 inches square and 14 inches deep so it doesn't look too out of proportion. The tailgate is welded shut, won't rattle that way.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »
Very nice job! It looks to me like you're actually pretty damn good with sheet metal.

miraclepieco

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:55 PM »
Now that's the kind of build thread I like: no waiting, instant gratification! I love your ingenuity. Let's see it finished!

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the post's. That will be a good ride when finished.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:45 AM »
 Thanks for the kind words guys. Here's a pic of the front end with the brakes installed. Planned to use a vega steering box and cross steer but found out the tie rod hits the spring shackles with the tie rod behind so I modified the steering arms to put tie rod out front and still use the cross steer. Don't have a pic of the vega box mounted. But here's a pic of the adjustable spring mount.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »
At first I wasn't going to have doors but decided it would be earier gettin in and out if it had doors. The latches are 46 Ford truk latches slightly modified and the outside handles are model A. Different on each door but they work

Offline fuzz

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »
 The trend these days is straight pipes or a lakes stye hedder but I like roadster style exhaust so I built sprint car pipes and added a muffler and kickout on the ends. I made a step/heatshield just below the doors.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 05:49:13 AM »
 I needed rear brakes so I got a weld on disc brake kit from speedway. I like most of speedways stuff but this brake kit is alittle cheesy, I wouldn't use it on any car over 2k lbs. The caliper mts are thin as are the steel hats. I'm not worried about it but they could have made it a bit more heavy duty.
 At this point I had a roller so pushed it outside for a couple pictures.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
Here's some pictures of how the car looks today. You can see the fuel cell, roll bar, 82 camaro steering column, home made shifter, hand brake and seat mount. Also showing the vega box mt and the modified steering arm. I have a 30  ford grille shell and aluminum radiator. Down to details to finish, wiring, fuel lines ect.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
That is really some amazing work. It turned out awesome. Thanks for sharing all the build pics with us.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
Man that is cool. What I like about it is that it is all hand fabricated and one-of-a-kind; nobody else has one like it. You should put some weird logo on the grill and tell everyone that it's a 1928 Stutz Bearcat or something... :P

Offline fuzz

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »
Man that is cool. What I like about it is that it is all hand fabricated and one-of-a-kind; nobody else has one like it. You should put some weird logo on the grill and tell everyone that it's a 1928 Stutz Bearcat or something... :P

How about Fuzzbearcat!!!.. :P

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
cool build , nice work
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Hey, that's turning out nice.

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »
that is really nice work . looks like you had a plan and stayed with it

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 05:17:33 AM »
wow thats so kool don't know how i missed it the first time
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Rust T Nuts

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
counterfiet model A roadster pickup
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
Lots of love showing on this one.  Cool!

Rat Tap Talk