AuthorTopic: I.R.S.  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Bruce R.

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
I.R.S.
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
Here's the question that first got me into trouble at hamb : I had an idea ( or aneurysm)  about putting IRS into my 55 Mercury, and I was eyeballing those disc brake ones on the later T-Birds, I can get the whole shebang for $45 at my local Pic-A-Part. Anyone out there got any experience messing with those things ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: I.R.S.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Damn, that's a reason to ban someone. Lol
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline IlikeImpala's

• Builder of Crap! :-)
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
Here's the question that first got me into trouble at hamb : I had an idea ( or aneurysm)  about putting IRS into my 55 Mercury, and I was eyeballing those disc brake ones on the later T-Birds, I can get the whole shebang for $45 at my local Pic-A-Part. Anyone out there got any experience messing with those things ?

I know this is an old topic, but I just found it. The above comment is why I don't share pic's of my Impala online. Last time I did, I got bashed (on a different forum) for having aluminum wheels, door handles, mirrors, and a late model engine swap in it. It was like a public crucifixion over aluminum parts. You RR guys are a lot better. But I learned a lesson!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
I'M NOT SURE if anybody on here criticizes the looks of anything........never cars/vehicles...........maybe each other....... :'( 8) :P
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline IlikeImpala's

• Builder of Crap! :-)
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
I'm not bashing you RR guys. But its pretty pathetic the way certain other forum's treat people was my point, and it seems the man above's point as well.

Back on topic, I don't think anyone here has experience with that IRS setup. No replies in months....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:04:09 PM by IlikeImpala's »

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »
i'm guessing the mounting would be a lot harder, the older frame is not set up for the IRS, thats why the Ford, GM rears are used a lot more, easier to mount, repair, and will carry the weight of the older car. Yes it's been done on lighter rides, (older T-buckets with the jag. rear) but even then they were a pain in the area used by the bottom  seat cushion. Was a small sale of used chrome Jag. rear ends that were replaced with a Ford 9" so a T could be driven again, to get the "show car" back on the road. I've worked around Corvette rears before, they were built for more weight.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:34:53 PM »
The above is just my opinion, I'll support ya whatever ya run.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
Also check width, drum to drum.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
The IRS suspension you're dealing with is rated to about 375 HP.  There are a few performance parts out there, but you gotta' look.  I'm going to be building a 27 T roadster using one of those, a C4 Corvette front suspension and an old Chevy 348 with a Powerglide.  That is, as soon as I get healed up from some serious foot surgery that has left me unable to even put that foot on the floor!!!

I, (WE,me and Jeff73MachI) are planning to make a few mods to the carrier frame and likely swap out the struts for coil overs.

When I get back on my foot, (feet) and Jeff and I get going again, we will show photos and give descriptions.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Tags: