AuthorTopic: mustang ii or suicide front end  (Read 6003 times)

Offline madjester30

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
mustang ii or suicide front end
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »
I am building this 29 sedan and I have been researching alot and it seems the best ride and reliabilty is a mustang 2 front end but when i mention it to any rat rod person/club they freak out about how wrong it is to have a mustang front end on any rat and especially my sedan? i am confused by this.  this car will be my daily driver so being able to drive it long distances semi comfortably will be important.

this build probaly wont be a typical rat as most of the underneath parts will be new or rebuilt.

any suggestions.   it will be mated to a crate 350 and 9 in rear end if that helps any.
btw I have read alot of posts about this very question but it always seems like a pissing match with very little useful info.

benjy

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: mustang ii or suicide front end
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't run Mustang II front suspension unless you plan on running fenders to hide it. If you are planning on going fenderless, it just wouldn't look right. In that configuration, straight axles are pretty much a must IMHO.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
It's your build do it your way! Personally i would go with the suicide front end for the looks
My bug does have IFS with an air ride but its hidden and it's not a traditional rat build either soooo...
Just my 2 cents worth Boog out
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
I am building this 29 sedan and I have been researching alot and it seems the best ride and reliabilty is a mustang 2 front end but when i mention it to any rat rod person/club they freak out about how wrong it is to have a mustang front end on any rat and especially my sedan?

Sounds like you've been talking to those Killbillet or HAMB guys. When you're building a car everyone is suddenly an expert and wants to tell you how it should be done.  Rat rodders are more free to do things however they want.  It's your car, your time, your money - do it your way.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:58:08 PM by miraclepieco »

Offline RangerRat

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »
I am building this 29 sedan and I have been researching alot and it seems the best ride and reliabilty is a mustang 2 front end but when i mention it to any rat rod person/club they freak out about how wrong it is to have a mustang front end on any rat and especially my sedan?

Sounds like you've been talking to those Killbillet or HAMB guys. When you're building a car everyone is suddenly an expert and wants to tell you how it should be done.  Rat rodders are more free to do things however they want.  It's your car, your time, your money - do it your way.
   I agree the only one you have to please is yourself and the only advise I can give to you is to please post picks of your progress on your build thread no matter what you decide to go with.,,,,, We would all like to see the progress you are making
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:16:17 PM by RangerRat »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
I've driven and built both types of front ends on vehicles i've built and to be honest with you, i would take the mustang II suspension. Even though i think the suicide gives a ride a kewl look, i find it a little hard to set (avoid death wobble) and it's a bit shaky going down the road. With the mustang II, if you take your time, get everything square, and set the suspension ahead of your motor, you'll have a great ride, nice steering. If you are building for actual cruizing and going down the interstate or what ever, mustang II. If you are building for a specific look and maybe short trips (not saying you can't go long distances), go with the suicide.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Rubberhead

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:13:10 PM »
Yeah, I agree with all of the posts above; it's your car and you can do whatever you want (that's the awesome and most appealing thing about rat rods to me), but just keep in mind that if you decide to go fenderless it will all be exposed.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »
All good. Just remember you want "SAFETY and RELIABILTY". You are building it fore your self.  I had a 39 Chevy back in 90 with a Volvo front end. Back then it was kool but to find someone that can work on it??? Soo Mustang Sally sounds good.
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline madjester30

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
yes I actually had been talking to killbillet and hamb forum ppl. they are very um opinionated.  I think I will stick with my original plan and go with the mustang II . safety and reliability trumps looks. it will still look cool and it isnt a traditional rat or street rod.  somewhere in between.  thank you to everyone here for the good responses.

I would love to post pics of my build.  where is the correct thread to post the build?

benjy

Offline madjester30

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »
ha.. apparently i have already started a build thread for me car ..
not sure when i did that.  its been a busy few weeks..