AuthorTopic: What is your opinion on exhaust systems?  (Read 7091 times)

Offline RaTaTat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Dont underestimate me or I'll prove you wrong
  • Referrals: 0
What is your opinion on exhaust systems?
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:56:25 AM »
I haven't a clue about what would be the best way to rout my exhaust system?  I am thinking about splitting my manifold and running dual pipes with an "X" crossing.  I have been told this will be really kewel.  What is your opinion on the matter?
I plan on building a flame thrower system on the exhaust pipes as well.  Has anyone tried this before?
Just picking your brains for some info please :)

thank you,
-ANA

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
Re: What is your opinion on exhaust systems?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:25 AM »
Sounds as though you have a perfect plan in place. I would use a couple of flow masters and enjoy the sound. Splitting the manifold is the way to go for sure , if you leave out the x pipe it will have a more traditional old school sound with a little more pop and crackle. The x pipe will balance out the flow an d take the old school crackle  away. It will run better with the x pipe just not sound the same.
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline RaTaTat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Awesome! thank you for the insight I have welded exhaust a hundred times.  But that sure the hell doesn't make me an exhaust engineer LOL.
Right now I have a bout 2 ft of pipe and it makes it kind of difficult to leave for work in the morning at 6am without waking the entire neighborhood up  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
What about running a block off plate so you can switch from morning sound to afternoon sound at a whim?  ;D
I like to have my cake and eat it too!

Offline RaTaTat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Interesting idea jpswino!  My DD has an exhaust cut out under the drivers seat and its a strait 6 as well.
Is your proposal any different than that?  Some sort of blocking plate at the X crossing would be pretty interesting!?  and how the hell would that work with out leaking all the time?
Probably just use a bunch of RTV huh?

Offline slow1

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
What is your opinion on exhaust systems?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:26:30 AM »
Fire prefers straight thru mufflers due to fire running back into muffler and having a good time blowing it up due to fuel being trapped just another thought lol

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • I build for fun not for show
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:52 PM »
Ther are several different types of exhaust cut outs out there. Some  do leak . maybe run a pipe to the side of car and put a flange on it with a bolt on plate. Make it so you don't have to get under car to uncap it every time.
Hard work without talent is a shame,talent without hard work is a tragedy.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
Hey Lady go on line to "Night Prowlers" they have it all. As for muff my 1st choice is Smithy's. Love the sound over Flow's. Had Flow's on Ol Blue. Then switched to Smithy's, olskool muff. Anyway you will find every thing you need. Great people to know and they are outstanding. I will be seeing them next week-end.And if you do tell them Oldskool or my FB name sent you. And there catalog is free.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline RaTaTat

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
Fire prefers straight thru mufflers due to fire running back into muffler and having a good time blowing it up due to fuel being trapped just another thought lol

Good thinking Slow1!  I dont really like mufflers anyways.

Ther are several different types of exhaust cut outs out there. Some  do leak . maybe run a pipe to the side of car and put a flange on it with a bolt on plate. Make it so you don't have to get under car to uncap it every time.

Thats exactly how my Yota's exhaust runs and it leaks, only because I was to lazy to go get some sealant when I bolted it back on tho.

Exhaust and body panels is really the only thing thin enuf I can weld at home so I think I am going to have some fun with this exhaust and go all custom. 
Supper excited to take her to her very first show next weekend :)  thanks for the tips dudes!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
ana, that is freaking awesome that you are at a point to attend a show........freakin congratulations....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: