AuthorTopic: Blackwater's coupe's getting fat  (Read 108574 times)

Offline hollisc10

Blackwater's light weight coupe
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
Looking good glad you got to drive it!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: Blackwater's light weight coupe
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Got a ways more to go, but it's good to know it'll work!!

Thanks, holis!!  Means something comin' from you!!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:01:18 PM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »
That's turning out real nice. It's amazing what reclining a seat can do for headroom or vision problems.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
Got the battery pulled out, the box modified, and the new battery installed and tested. The side post battery was too wide to go in where the old battery was, so I had to redo the box and turn the battery longways beside the frame. Took a while, but now it'll be much easier to service or replace the battery.

We got the rear window cleaned up and ready to go in. I'll install it tomorrow and we'll have the car where it starts from the seat too!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
i had to take a couple days off 'cause I bashed my left knee. Knocked out a chunk of meat and it has refused to heal up properly. Finally got back to the shop for a while today and ran a good temporary start and run harness for the car. I didn't last too long. The parts for several operations are here and tomorrow I'll get to some of them.

The back glass is ready to install, the steel for the rear section of the car is laying in the floor, I've got wire and connectors and heat shrink, and I have dashboard material and some of the gauges. Plenty to do. Just hafta' work it so I'm not messing up the old body parts,(me, my hide and my joints) any worse than they are already!!

Pics tomorrow when I get a few things done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:00:06 AM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
I got to spend a little time in the shop today. The kid that rents the house on the property is moving out, so I had to move some stuff around and store the landlords mower and some equipment the kid had borrowed.

I got the upper bracket and wiring on the alternator done in between trips to town and rearranging the shop. Took the alternator with me to find out which circuits were used and had it tested while I was there. It puts out 14.8 volts at peak and uses only a switched 12V exciter circuit. It's a 130 amp unit. Orta' do everything I want to do, even if I decide to hang Air Conditioning on it next summer!

Just the one pic today. I'll get to work on it all day tomorrow. I'm REALLY looking forward to that!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
So yesterday, I got the rear electrical harness laid out and the engine run harness as well. I'll have to put the split loom on them, crimp and solder all the terminals on and secure all of the harness to the frame and body. Picked up terminals and got wire for the front harness and trans and brake light switches today, but I've been sidetracked the rest of the day. I'll have to pirate the plugs off of my donor Astro for the transmission lockup cancel and speedo sensor.

Probably won't get back to it 'til Monday 'cause I'm helping out my lawyer buddy on his old Mustang Mach I tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:01:00 PM by Blackwater »

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
Good to have a lawyer on your side sometimes.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
Y'all have read about me and my lawyer buddy. He's been indispensable to me the last few years, helping with my disability claim and just being around to help in general. I try to pay him back by showing him stuff that I know and by turning a critical bolt or two for him when he needs me to.

He has an old Mustang Mach 1 that he's been fixing up for years, almost as long as I've known him. We built a stroker Cleveland engine for him, making about 650 at the flywheel and it's hooked to a TreMec 5 spd. and a 9" rear end with a 4.10:1 Detroit Locker. It needs real good slicks to hook it up and on street tires you can light up the back ones launching in third gear.

Anyhow, we've dropped the whole car and we're sorting out the brake system right now. I spent the day over at his place today, and I'm putting up a few pics of the car here, especially for hotwheels since he's a little down in the dumps. It ain't very "RAT", but it's purty cool!!

I'll be back on the coupe tomorrow!!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:02:38 AM by Blackwater »

Offline hollisc10

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
I'm not a ford guy but that's a nice car!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Wow, both of those are awesome. Love the Mach 1.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2015, 06:55:58 PM »
I started putting ends on some of the harness today. After looking at the plugs on the cooling fans, I decided to drop another hot wire to the fans. They have #12 wire going into the plugs and that tells me that the fans may draw heavy amperage on start-up. I had planed to run one hot and split the grounds to the two separate switches I've got to control them. Better safe than sorry!!

Nobody in town has grey #12 stranded copper wire!!  Go figure!! I had to order on e-bay to avoid having to buy 100' feet of the stuff!  I wouldn't likely use that much in ten years!

I quit this evening because the soldering iron my lawyer loaned me won't melt low temp solder on wire bigger than #14.  Went to my son's house and got my big Weller 450 watt.......  OOOH OOOH OOOH!!  Power is GOOOOOOD!!!

Tomorrow I'll put the side post terminals on the battery cables, finish soldering the fan circuits, re-install the battery, (had to remove it to get to the old fan harness) and wire the fuel gauge. I'll pull the temporary run harness and get the full rear electrical harness and the engine harness pulled through the firewall.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:05:35 AM by Blackwater »

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
Got the back window installed and it looks good.  The plugs for the ignition switch are split with one end for run circuits and the other for fused circuits. I have the run circuits all soldered in and the wire for the fused circuits arrived this afternoon. I got the cooling fans wired and checked out.  MAN!!  They sure move a lot of air!!  I'll do a little more soldering and splicing tomorrow.

I've got the new side post battery cable system completed and it looks stout and clean. I'll take a couple of pics for y'all in a day or two.

I've found a wiring diagram to work with the turn signal switch. If I can figure out how to incorporate my turn signal with the outside LEDs in the headlights, it'll be really cool.

I'm also looking for a diagram to turn the torque converter clutch off when I hit the brake. I had this one hanging on a hook at the shop and some dumbass threw it away. If anybody has one and can tell me which pin in the tranny plug to use, I'd be eternally grateful!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2015, 04:48:04 AM »
Right on, wiring is where allot of people give up. Awesome work.

Offline hollisc10

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
Yea I hate wiring if it's something small I'm ok but rather take beating than wire much. You sound like you've got it figured out!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
Back in 1979 I went to work as a line mechanic working on commission off of the flat rate book. I made a great living, but electrical was the boogie man in my skill set. My boss was smart about that kind of stuff and took me under his wing. I graduated to high end handicapped vans and cars and got some serious schooling from different parts of the industry. The final years of my gainful employment involved wiring custom tour busses for a major bus company in the entertainment industry. We even built the black busses you see the president riding around in.

I always liked welding and fabrication the best, but wiring is not that far down on the list after engines and suspension and going really really fast.

I still struggle with some of the more exotic wiring tricks and I'm not really all that fast, but I don't have to pay to have it done and that makes my wife very happy. And if she's happy, I GET TO KEEP PLAYING!!!  :P :P 8)

Offline SkinnyPedal

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2015, 06:04:11 PM »
U got it goin on!!!!  8) Ur on the down hill side of this project.
The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That's why I appear bright...until I speak!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
Thanks, Skinny!!

How's your project(s) comin'??

Offline SkinnyPedal

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »
Slow, really slow. Maybe get more time after the Hoildays is over. Thanks for asking.
The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That's why I appear bright...until I speak!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »
Got my fuse panel today. Took the seller four days to get it shipped and then the USPS sent it from Iowa to Maryland and finally to Nashville!!

Go figure!! I'll get to spend some time tomorrow soldering in the circuits I have already pulled and maybe get the headlights and the brake lights and turn signals.

I been lollygagging for too long ('bout a week now) and I wanna' get some stuff done. I have plenty of stuff I can do on it and it's time I got my A$$ moving!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »
Well that was the shortest route, lol. Glad you got it.

Offline SkinnyPedal

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
USPS must spend all the budgeted moneys for 2015 or they"ll get a smaller budget for 2016 and wont need as much tax $$$. LOL

What type, brand, and size solder do you use? I have a tough time gettin some solders to flow right.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »
I use low temp rosin core solder and a 450 watt Weller gun. Mostly I use radio and electronics solder for it's extra low temp and high conductivity qualities.  It is a little more flexible, and with that big gun it flows quickly so I seldom have insulation melting or oxidation problems.

I'll add this for others who don't handle wiring often or have just ventured into electrical. NEVER use acid core solder on ANYTHING electrical. It is highly corrosive and you can't ever clean it up enough!!

Also!!  if you have 'em, use heat sincs when working around switches, relays, and delicate items!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Spent a little time on the headlight wiring today, but got interrupted by a busted parking brake cable and some plumbing on the rear brakes on that ol' Mach1 Mustang.

Lawyer buddy shot a little video of Lockjaw while we were moving cars around. I'll post it when he gets it edited.

Anyway, I got a couple of good stills of the Mach1

Offline SkinnyPedal

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »
Good lookin car.  8)

Tags: FORDODGE