AuthorTopic: just some of the guys an gals rats i have met & a question  (Read 6931 times)

Offline bodymangt

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • bodymangt
  • Referrals: 0
just some of the guys an gals rats i have met & a question
« on: August 11, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
Does anyone else experience negative people at the shows ? the wife an I will roll into 2 out of 3 shows hunting for a spot to park an I usually over hear something like this " I don't know what people see in all that rust " most commonly heard when I park between 2 shineys  an mine gets more attention than theirs . on the other hand it seems rat rodders will seek you out an be real cool , trade build storys , tips an tricks compare rides an look for those off the wall pieces in each ride .
well how about some of your guys thoughts on this phenomena , an now the pics of some cool 1's  in my area especially the saw blade truck ! an the vic with the checker board firewall !

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
Re: just some of the guys an gals rats i have met & a question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:55 PM »
Don't know what to tell you about the people's comments,
 to each his own,
 at least it's not a "mail order ride"
"built not bought"
if I wanted to be like everybody else, I would'a bought a car like that.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »
I revell in the negitive comments ! :P I once parked next to a Corvette and after I started getting more attention than he did,he got P.O'ed and left. :o It happens. ;D As far as the other guys. I like swapping stories,tips and lies. Love to hear about how this didn't go as planned so I(we) did this. You can really tell who built and who bought. 99% of the rat guys and gals are proud to brag up there builds.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:07:39 AM »
Our hobby will always have haters. Look at the h.a.m.b., they are total haters, you mention rat rod and they will ban you. Figure that mind set is everywhere. Biggest thing we can do is try to educate others about our hobby. Our builds are works of art, not a nut and bolt restoration. We have brought something back to life with a bit of us in em.......
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline bodymangt

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • bodymangt
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Our hobby will always have haters. Look at the h.a.m.b., they are total haters, you mention rat rod and they will ban you. Figure that mind set is everywhere. Biggest thing we can do is try to educate others about our hobby. Our builds are works of art, not a nut and bolt restoration. We have brought something back to life with a bit of us in em.......

aint that the truth ! every build is unique an almost everyone reflects the owners personality .
         I have begun to have fun with the haters comments lately , I will look over to my wife as we are parking an say " whos show do we steal tonight ?  or if I over hear something  almost always from a corvette guy  I  will say to her " god I hate seeing the same old boring rides all the time ." one thing will never get old for me is seeing that one kid just rip away from his parents hand an make a bee line for my wrecker with the biggest smile on their face then just hop up on the running board for a better look , as I see the parent cringing like I may get upset cause their child is on my truck , I will give them a wave an a smile  then " its ok he cant hurt it , but it may hurt him ."
 THANKS GUYS  I thought I was just experiencing a local phenomena .

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
bodymangt I love putting kids in my car for pictures Wether there 8 or 80 male or female autistic,retarded,normal or just plain F'ed up Anybody who love or hate it come and get your pix taken!!! If you don't leave with a smile I'm not loosing sleep But I hope I made someones day!!! The future of our hobby depends on the future gearheads wether they like shiny and chrome or rust and mud we need to motivate all of them!!!
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

miraclepieco

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:55:11 PM »
If people criticize me, it's means I'm on the right track!  That's why I made this show sign for my '34, to P.O. the purists. Of course  it was fake and just a joke, but it sure aggravated some folks who thought I'd ratted out a restored '34:

Offline bodymangt

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • bodymangt
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
LMAO , if you had ratted out a restored 34 , I would be begging ya for your weathering technique , theres enough restored versions out there already

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:39 PM »
Back in the day, (1973) the club I belonged to was catching a bunch of flack from members of the local antique car club. They were throwing fits about street rodders like myself were starting to show up all over. The president of the ACCA club called out those members and pointed out that we were dragging out derelicts that they wouldn't even take parts off of and beating out the dents, patching up the rust and painting and upholstering them and putting them on the road. "You guys won't even touch the cars those guys are making run and at least they get out and drive 'em!!" This was just about the time that rodders started doing really nice body work and paint and building cars that you couldn't tell from true antiques sunless you noticed the wide wheels and tires and rumbling exhaust.

I'd love a $150,000.00 Resto Rod or a new top shelf C7 to own and drive. I don't build my toys to satisfy anyone but me and if some snobbish a$$hole doesn't like my ride, it's HIS problem not mine!!  I've had some really tight rides and I ain't got nothin' to prove anymore!!

I do have a sprig of mistletoe attached to my shirt tail!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:50:49 PM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline Xlarashun

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 06:58:31 AM »
I have been up against the same thing since about the '72! I would put together something that I was happy with And Proud of, and the "Real Hot Rod" guys as they liked to think of themselves, would bad mouth anything that did not Shine like a Diamond hanging out of a Goats Butt, as Useless Junk that wasn't Fit to be at, much Less Entered in Any show that They were a part of, much less Even be Seen in!
Kinda Funny though was the fact that Quite a few of them would bring their rides over to have things done on those Trailer Queens, as Long as their 'friends' did not See them! :o :-[ :-X
And, I Did NOT have a problem taking their $, Ya Know? ;D
Sanity is Not a Requirement, It just Slows Ya Down!!

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:20:57 AM »
Yeah!!  I can really relate to that!!

Wait until something they have turned their noses up to wins their little show!!  That can be priceless. And when my old Chevelle blew the doors off of the local snobb's new hemi Challenger at the track in front of everybody, that was classic too!!

The next door neighbor with the 450 SEL was none too happy when my V8 Vega wagon passed him on the interstate with my wife driving and his trophy wife laughed at him either!!
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline bodymangt

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • bodymangt
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »
got some new ones from a nice lil rat gathering in Youngstown ohio . hell I thought mine was too clean ! lol !

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 07:55:58 AM »
Wow, some kick ass rides. Thanks for sharing.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
Wow, some kick ass rides. Thanks for sharing.

Ditto!  Good stuff going on in Ohio.

Tags: