AuthorTopic: holley 4412 lower elevation adjustment?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
holley 4412 lower elevation adjustment?
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »
hi all
i just moved from 4400 feet above sea level to 600 feet
and now my stock ford 302 wont even start (it ran fine before the move)
when i first got it off the trailer i was able to drive it around the block but now it wont even do a complete revolution when i try to turn it over.
i loosened the capture bolt on the distributor so i could turn it this way and that.
and now i can turn it over.
please be gentle because the only thing i have ever done to a holley carb was a simple rebuild kit.
i dont practice what i preach
because i am not the kind of man i am preaching to.

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: holley 4412 lower elevation adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
jeeze
there are so many possiblities
something may have gotten knocked loose during transport
i dont even know where to start.
loose wires?
air/fuel mixture?
timing?

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »
You say it will turn over. Do you have fire/spark at the coil? Are you getting fuel to the carb? I know I just  went through the same after my gal sat since November. Luckly or not no move.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
yes i am getting fuel and it kinda sorta started when i was turning the dizzy a bit/try to start/turn a bit/try to start

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
I,m leaning towards, put the dist. back to where it was (or close) check for spark to the plugs, might even check more than one. Would be real certain every thing else is OK before I turn the mixture screws in on the carb. Let us know how it turns out.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
Your carb relies on vacuum to help pull and distribute fuel into your engine, dropping in elevation shouldn't really stop your engine from running, but it may run like shit so.... 1st) have someone turn over the engine and verify that you are getting fuel up to the carb. 2nd) Verify you have spark, pull the coil wire and place a spark plug in it, lay down the spark plug, have someone crank the engine and verify you have spark to the coil. 3rd) if you have spark at the coil, pull a spark plug (#1), install it back in the wire and have someone crank over the engine to verify that you have spark from the dist to the spark plugs. If you have spark, go ahead and pull all your plugs and check the gap on them, (.035 in.).

If all of these tests work, go ahead and manually turn your engine to the number #1 position and verify that your timing is near or on top dead center. Tighten down your bolt to the dist.....now, i know this is a pain, but check all of your vacuum lines, all of em. If they all appear good, go ahead and try to start the motor. See if it starts. If it doesn't, do this carefully, but take some fuel in a cup, and pour a little bit down the carb, take the cup away from the motor and try to start it. See if it starts on it's own now. If it does, it would tell me your fuel pump would  be going bad. If it still doesn't start at this point, i would buy new spark plugs and wires, and cap to ensure your spark is hot enough to light the fuel.

Technically you really can't adjust the carb until you get the engine to where it will run. Once you get it running, we can go through a carb adjustment. Need to know the year of the motor you are running too, this will just help with setting your timing and stuff after the  motor runs.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
ok fellas
i figured i better at least give you an update.
since this is a recently built rod and many bugs are being worked out on a regular basis.
i went back to square one and put the dizzy and carb settings back to where they were originally.
then i cleaned the contacts of the dizzy and went along the electrical curcuits tightening every nut etc. i could find.
the engine started first try.
when it gets dark enough to see the timing light easily .
i will adjust that to the best of my ability.

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • I build for fun not for show
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
Good luck Billy, I hope you get it right so you can enjoy it.
Hard work without talent is a shame,talent without hard work is a tragedy.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
Your carb relies on vacuum to help pull and distribute fuel into your engine, dropping in elevation shouldn't really stop your engine from running, but it may run like shit so.... 1st) have someone turn over the engine and verify that you are getting fuel up to the carb. 2nd) Verify you have spark, pull the coil wire and place a spark plug in it, lay down the spark plug, have someone crank the engine and verify you have spark to the coil. 3rd) if you have spark at the coil, pull a spark plug (#1), install it back in the wire and have someone crank over the engine to verify that you have spark from the dist to the spark plugs. If you have spark, go ahead and pull all your plugs and check the gap on them, (.035 in.).

If all of these tests work, go ahead and manually turn your engine to the number #1 position and verify that your timing is near or on top dead center. Tighten down your bolt to the dist.....now, i know this is a pain, but check all of your vacuum lines, all of em. If they all appear good, go ahead and try to start the motor. See if it starts. If it doesn't, do this carefully, but take some fuel in a cup, and pour a little bit down the carb, take the cup away from the motor and try to start it. See if it starts on it's own now. If it does, it would tell me your fuel pump would  be going bad. If it still doesn't start at this point, i would buy new spark plugs and wires, and cap to ensure your spark is hot enough to light the fuel.

Technically you really can't adjust the carb until you get the engine to where it will run. Once you get it running, we can go through a carb adjustment. Need to know the year of the motor you are running too, this will just help with setting your timing and stuff after the  motor runs.....

Or like yours truly, damn fuel line cave in. But sound great that ya got her up and runnin.

8)

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »

Or like yours truly, damn fuel line cave in. But sound great that ya got her up and runnin.

8)

i am missing the timing pointer on this engine.

btw
i took my baby for a moonlight cruise last night.
and then bought her some ice cream
yep
i am a real cassanova........  ;)

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »
Ice cream, that will get ya seat time. Braums?

8)

Offline billy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
Ice cream, that will get ya seat time. Braums?

8)
I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND
BUT IT WAS GOOD