AuthorTopic: 700R4 Trans  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Kenney

• Rest In Peace Kenney
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Vehicle: 1938 Chevrolet Panel
  • Activity:
    0%
  • R.I.P. Kenney 12/16/2011
  • Referrals: 0
700R4 Trans
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
Anyone worked with a 700r4? Mine was working good a couple of weekends ago when I went to a show. This past weekend I was going to go to a show and it goes in reverse and drive but I have to really rev it up to get it to move. It acts like it has about a 4000 stall convertor in it. It is an 86 trans so at least it is one of the better years. It is full of fluid and not making any noise. Cable is still adjusted right. Have not checked any pressures. Sounds like a rebuild is in order. Not afraid to get into it since I have done a 200r4, a turbo 400 and several powerglides when I was drag racing and they all turned out good. If I rebuild it what all updates are in order. I know they had several on the earlier ones. The later ones had all the updates.
Passed away on 12/16/2011. You'll be missed our friend. Godspeed.

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Don't Like It Don't Read It
Re: 700R4 Trans
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
These are the people to contact...they even have the listings on-line....http://www.transtar1.com/....they have everything you need to update the 700r4
Take a kid to a car or bike show...pass the hobby on to the next generation

Just because the paint is flat, don't make it a rat

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Sounds to me like your 2nd and 3rd gear clutches are shot and it is sadly in need of a rebuild. I would do a search on the internet and fine the best price you can for a rebuild kit. I am thinkin around 700 bucks. Not sure if you can find a working one for less money at a salvage yard or not, but if you did and it works.......vroom vroom, if not, loss of money which could have went to the original rebuild........If it were me after re reading what i am typing, i would just rebuild it and call it good.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Kenney

• Rest In Peace Kenney
  • Rat Rod Crazy
  • Vehicle: 1938 Chevrolet Panel
  • Activity:
    0%
  • R.I.P. Kenney 12/16/2011
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the link Tat. I am going to check it.

Know what you mean hotwheels . Some things from a salvage yard are ok but transmission are not really one of them. Most of them tell you if it don't work they will give another one but you still have to r & r it. I don't mind if I go thru it myself I just take my time and make sure everything is right and it has always worked out. From what I have seen you are pretty close on the price of everything plus a convertor. Thanks everyone!!
Passed away on 12/16/2011. You'll be missed our friend. Godspeed.

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »
Sounds to me like your 2nd and 3rd gear clutches are shot and it is sadly in need of a rebuild. I would do a search on the internet and fine the best price you can for a rebuild kit. I am thinkin around 700 bucks. Not sure if you can find a working one for less money at a salvage yard or not, but if you did and it works.......vroom vroom, if not, loss of money which could have went to the original rebuild........If it were me after re reading what i am typing, i would just rebuild it and call it good.

I agree on the rebuilding of the tranny...Seriously check the link I gave you for a price then go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and ask for the commercial salesman, tell him to look you up a master rebuild kit, then see what you come up with...the kits they sell are by Pioneer and they are good kits, I would also get a J&M shift kit and two HEAVY DUTY u-joints...but that's just my opinion...Trust me people when I say O'Reilly really can help.

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
If you choose to rebuild it yourself you will only need two "special" tools , seal protector for the forward clutch and for the overun clutch . If you have built a 200-4r you will be amazed at how easy a 700r4 is to stack , much simpler . A torque converter is in order for sure  . If you have any questions on the build I will be more than willing to help . Good luck !
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline tattoodaddy1967

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
If you choose to rebuild it yourself you will only need two "special" tools , seal protector for the forward clutch and for the overun clutch . If you have built a 200-4r you will be amazed at how easy a 700r4 is to stack , much simpler . A torque converter is in order for sure  . If you have any questions on the build I will be more than willing to help . Good luck !

This IS the man with the experience

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:06:16 AM »

This IS the man with the experience

I have one apart on the table now
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline Kentucky Kid

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »
Is a rebuild kit really that much? My neighbor has a trans shop and he built my 700 for me, including the B&M Shift Improver and Corvette servo for $600 on a bench job. Almost positive he uses Pioneer stuff...
Always go hard and fast enough so that when you hit the ditch you can pull out the other side. - Johnny Paycheck

Tags: