AuthorTopic: My First Love...?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Grind and Click

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
My First Love...?
« on: January 04, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
Hi all,

Looking for my first Rat and hoped to gain your valuable and appreciated advice! Wasn't sure where to post this but as I'll be doing upgrades and a lot of tinkering I figured the build forum was most relevant, despite it being a purchase at first.

I'm all the way over in the UK and would have to probably import, but to business.

Price? Max Budget - $7000 for the vehicle - with what I've found seems to be around $1500 shipping from the states(?). $8500 all in.

I heard Chevys are good for cheap plentiful parts, despite having to order them all from overseas no doubt, and like the look of my pictured C10 (not actually mine) but also the 72 Chevelle from this youtube build - but not really after a Frankenrod or anything like that.

Am after a relatively solid car, no real rotten rust or holes in the bodywork and chassis (like the youtube Chevelle has) and also so you don't feel like you're sitting in a old sunken ship, but rough and ready with bodywork dents etc is fine, Ref-

Doubt I could afford the engine they put in the Chevelle but performance wise I'd like it to be fast and loud, does burnouts and can at least give your average Banker in his Audi or BMW at the lights a run for his money then that works for me!

I'm moderately mechanical but will probably post on here with questions and get any advice on things to look out for etc and maintain.

Hope what I've laid down something you can pick up. Thanks again for any help.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: My First Love...?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:39:24 AM »
Welcome to the nation, it's great to meet ya. A chevelle may be a little tough to find. They are out there, but people are pretty proud of them, even in junk shape.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
Welcome to the Nation, the older Chev trucks are around, but most here are "rust free" meaning you buy the truck and get all the free rust you can handle.

Offline Grind and Click

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. That C10 is pretty good on the rust. Surface stuff is fine, the sort you can repair pretty well.

Will keep an eye for Chevelles, if I can do her up without major surgery then it's fine with me, maybe even in the shape that one  in the youtube vid is, seems to be just a junky interior and fender holes.

As long as you figure they're good starting points. Thanks and great to meet you guys too.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »
The trucks are cheaper and easier to find, and there have been some real neat rats made from old English stuff, of course to me it looks cool because I don't see them much.

Tags: