AuthorTopic: A small question for a french guy...  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Ratmojito

A small question for a french guy...
« on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
Hi to all :)

As you can see, I'm French, in.... France xD
And here, mechanical culture is not the same than in the USA. There are a lot of passioned people, but in general, the culture is more turned to the original restorations.
Honestly, I feel like a crazy guy in the wrong country hahaha
Anyway, I'd like to know something that I don't find by myself here in France.
My question is, in general, where do you buy some items to transform it for your rat rods? (like an old petrol lamp for exemple, or old bullets to cover screws,.....)?
I tried to search on ebay motors (US version of ebay), but I suppose there are some filters which doesn't let appear some items in my country...
So, if someone is kind enough of giving to me some good plans to know where I can search, or have some good plans, it will be very very very appreciable for me... And I promise for sure, the day I come to USA for simply travelling, I wan to visit you, and share a good pack of beer hahaha ;)

Thanks to all guys :)
I envy your rides :D
If one day I can go living to the USA, I want to make as Rat Rod as I can :D
Only you US guys, have the best ones :D

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: A small question for a french guy...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Not sure if France has them. Swap meets where I try and find stuff. Antique markets also works well. Last resort is E-bay as stuff is usually WAY to pricey. Craigslist is also a good place to find stuff. Again not sure if France has it either.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
I THINK they swap meets in SWEDEN.....dont believe the news the swedes have great rat rods......
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
They must be trading and selling parts around Sweden, I know they do some wild ice racing, and almost sure they have at least a small hot rod group or club. Keep your eyes open, you will find something.

Offline Granpascrazzy

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Von Skip in the Netherlands has lots of old American junk....
have a bad AUTOHOLIC PROBLEM

Offline Ratmojito

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
Ah okay, you find some stuffs on Craigslist? Cool.. thanks for the info..
For sure, here, when you enter any antique shop, the guy looks at you as big money, or poor guy watching.. firts case, he'll try to sell his best things, and more expensive, and second, he just say "hello", and nothing more :/
I'll try on craigslist... And here too if I need something hard to find here ;)
Thanks

Offline Mustang Ted

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
Try a different approach to your thinking.  Look at every piece of junk or thrown away or old item you come across as a potential item to use.  France is way older than the USA and lots of old discarded metal and steel junk laying around peoples farms and garages.   

I think most the neat things on rat rods were made from FREE stuff the builder had laying around.  It is very satisfying to make some useless junk functional again.  Scavenge for scrap from machinery.  Stare at it till it starts to look like something. LOL

Offline Ratmojito

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »
Yep, it's my way to think hahaha, but unlike in USA, here, the country is small, with a lot of people, then now, it's very rare to find an old garage, or abandoned property where we can find something good... iBut I'll continue to search, to look everywhere I can to find some stuff which goes to the rubbish lol... often, people throw some things which can be reused on a rats lol...

Tags: