AuthorTopic: 29 ford wood removal whole body  (Read 2779 times)

Offline tacWeld

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
29 ford wood removal whole body
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »
so i got this 29 ford 4 door leather back sedan thats unmolested but rotten and its full of original wood. everything is shifted this way and that. my question is where should one start. I'm working backwards here, ive welded in cross beams and bars, welded the doors shut. but everything is still leaning very badly and i know its tweeked and off. i removed all of the wood from the top only to try and reassemble it to check my lack of progress.i want to put a hard 30 sedan rear window and top section on it but its no where near being in line.  still boggled on how I'm going to get a subframe in it...all the wood needs to come out. if i take it out the car falls apart.. i can weld all i want but nothings lined up... What should i do?  take the whole thing apart, remove all the wood, start setting everything level,  tack everything back together, then install a subframe? this is what i think i should do , Whats your thoughts.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: 29 ford wood removal whole body
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:31 AM »
Do you have any pictures? Allot of the bodies i've worked with, i usually use comalongs and pull the body straight. I weld in tabs that allow my comalongs to attach and pull the body in the direction i need, then i weld in support brackets that allow me to remove wood and install wood made from pallets or weld in metal pieces to replace the wood.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: