AuthorTopic: Radius rods? Rack and pinion  (Read 6232 times)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
  • Referrals: 0
Radius rods? Rack and pinion
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
I just started getting my solid axle front end mounted. Anyhow I was asking at what degree to tilt the axle back on a Facebook site and posted a picture......after getting several good answers on my question I had some comments about my "hairpins". I have made them out of 11ga 1" square tubing and one guy says they will fold up on the first bump. I did ask a guy who is a structural engineer and he seems to think they are sufficient but wanting some more opinions. Also I had modeled my front end setup after a local guy heres rat rod that uses a chevy cruise rack and pinion mounted to the frame behind his suicide spring. They also told me that was immediate trouble but his truck has been great for a few years like this. I really don't want to start completely over with my front end but man they beat me down. I don't want to be unsafe but this felt like I posted to the H.A.M.B.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
Re: Radius rods? Rack and pinion
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
Your tubing looks adequate, but you should put another piece of tubing into the assembly at an angle to give your radius rods some geometric stability.  I would also recommend that you go to heavier grade heim joints and clevices like used in drag racing suspension.  The steering rack should be mounted so that it is level with the point where tie rod ends attach to the spindles with the vehicle sitting at the level it will ride at when the car is completed.  This will prevent "bump steer". Try to keep the rack assembly as close to straight from tie rod end to tie rod end  in every plane.  ALSO!!  Be sure to install a "panhard" bar or other locator to keep your axle assembly from moving horizontally, (side to side).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:07:45 PM by Blackwater »
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »
Yes I had thought of a few angle pieces to kind of "triangulate" it. I honestly just picked my heims and rod ends off what I was seeing from off the shelf stuff speedway recommends. Thanks for the input on the rack that is the same line of thinking I was on with it. The gentleman that has it seems to really like it says it is alot more stable than his cross steer setup was. Appreciate the input
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Mattsixx

• 52 Ford Rat Truck/S10 frame swap/corrected track width
  • Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »
Hey man, way above my head. I'm just responding because I noticed your comment about the "H.A.M.B." I come here for information too, and not to try and have a "smartest guy in the room" competition. I won't say much more than that, but it too was vibe I got when I tried to be a contributor on that forum. Hopefully some day I can post something interesting enough to get commented on.LOL everybody likes recognition, that is why we do what we do. I like being able to share and contribute if I(we) can. Thanks, MATTSIXX.
Me and my 5 year old son Matthew Sixx have built this truck. It is his, just ask him. Matty is number 6 of six kids, therefore named. Have driven for a out 3 years, decided to do engine transplant this winter(explains towbar) Really into answering any questions regarding S10 frame swap/track width

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
Matt, I didn't post that to badmouth them i see some good info on there but would never post because I have seen the responses that some get if they are not up to their standards. Again not all are like that and some people with very good info on there. But that is what my Facebook post was like when I asked about what angle to set my axle back. After Blackwater post and emailing the structural engineer we have at where I work I think I will use the hairpins I built and will probably add a few more supports between the tubes. I just wanted to get an opinion from here as well as the ones I got from people I know local.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Mattsixx

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
I think we are on same page. Great chatting with you man.
Me and my 5 year old son Matthew Sixx have built this truck. It is his, just ask him. Matty is number 6 of six kids, therefore named. Have driven for a out 3 years, decided to do engine transplant this winter(explains towbar) Really into answering any questions regarding S10 frame swap/track width

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »
I have got my steering almost set up and am questioning my use of rack and pinion a little myself. There is a local guy that uses it and loves it but I am worried with it mounted to the frame I will have too much travel for the rack everything is pretty level and in line. As of now I do not have a pan hard but have an idea for one. I will attach a pic of the current setup do not mind the steering arms they are temporary and I am in process of making the ones I will actually use.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Looks pretty good to me!! If you have a radiator and other items that will be added to the front, make sure to adjust the height of the rack AFTER everything is, (at least temporarily) in place.

ALSO!!  Be sure that the radius rods and the steering linkage don't interfere throughout the ENTIRE range of travel of the suspension. Don't forget to triangulate those radius rods, and I'll suggest a gusset or gussets on the rod end mounts at the back ends of your radius rods. Pics of your rack mounts will help!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:15:32 PM by Blackwater »

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice....it is free and clear through the whole range of motion (found that out after it was to low the first way I mounted) and yes I need to set everything on the front tonight and see how it sits......the rack mounts and rear radius rod mounts are about 2x3 blocks 3/4" thick drilled and tapped and fillet welded to the frame
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
I'm glad iffy advice helps.  I've torn up stuff all my life doing things most people never dream of.  I sometimes tend to over engineer and even build much stronger than needed, but my motto has always been "The ass you save may be your own!".  Folks I build for don't complain that it was "built too light!"  8)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
That's not a bad motto and as this is my first build I have been asking advice from several people and places try to make a safe reliable rig
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
Blackwater we must of went the same hard knocks school. Tearing stuff up is why I became a mechanic/fabricator/ machinist and lastly banker ( I'm alway's broke)  :o I've always said it is broke I can't break it more HAHA Yes , Yes you can break it more  :P
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:26 PM »
Here is pics of the mounts for radius rods and the rack and pinion mounts. The radius rod bolts go through the block and into the frame the rack and pinion just bolt into the blocks but there is 3/4" of threads they catch
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
Looks pretty solid to me!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
Thanks Blackwater still working out the pan hard bar and shock mounts but think I have an idea that will work
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:39 PM »
Probably not ideal at 13" center to center but got the panhard bar on....was limited on room so this is what I came up with it should do its job none the less
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 04:59:07 AM »
Can't tell from that angle and I'm sure you're aware of it, but be sure that the center mount doesn't interfere with the axle.

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
I think it should be fine I can jump up and down on the front of it and still has some room before it would make contact and that's before shocks
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
it looks really good , very clean set up . I like the way you make your own rods and ends . how far in front of the frame is the axle .

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
Thank you......its About 8 1/2" it allows the right amount of room for the rack and spring to work.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Tags: