AuthorTopic: Fish plating  (Read 4777 times)

Offline desolit

Fish plating
« on: August 23, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
Can someone work out a write up for us non-pros?  I dont really have any questions about it but if i were to see a pro go through the motions i might notice something that i wouldnt have thought of or i might learn something new. Thanks Pros!

Offline desolit

Re: Fish plating
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
I know it wouldnt be quite as strong but what about just bolting the fish plates through? Im worried about the pocket that i would be forming under the plate. if i bolt a fish plate on it would allow me to protect both the plate and the frame from decay.

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
  • Referrals: 0
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »
Welding the fish plate is the only reasonable way to go to get the full strength required , then you can leave your worries behind .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

brett93304

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:53 PM »
I use Fish planting all the time, they are a great way to get the extra strength needed in key spots without have to add the extra weight to the over all structure.

Welding is a must, also depending to the direction of the loads have cut holes in them and welded them inside and and around the perimeter.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
Sadly i don't have allot of time to write an article on it, but it's the way to go when you do any cutting on the frame. When i shorten like an S10 frame, after i weld the frame, i put on a fish plate.....
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline RangerRat

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
Spray both surfaces of the frame and fish plate with Rustoleum Zinc cold galvanizing then weld them on,,,, this stuff works as good as weldable primer at about a third the price.

Offline desolit

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:51 AM »
never heard of it.  i also didnt know there was such a thing as weldable primer. thanks guys. keep the discusion going if you dont mind. this will be a good one to have in the forum library.

Tags: