AuthorTopic: Early morning car shows - JUST SAY NO!  (Read 2806 times)

miraclepieco

Early morning car shows - JUST SAY NO!
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:35:04 AM »
Isn't it hard enough to get up early for work everyday? Why would you want to do it for a car show?

This year I'd planned to attend just three shows: Gold Hill Rats and Rods, Ratrod-O-Rama, and Cow Creek Jalopy Jam. Well now it looks like it's down to one. Today I learned that the first two of the shows listed above are having registration at 7:00 AM and closing the gates at 9:00.  To this I must ask a big F---ing WHY? It's a weekend for Chrisakes. Some people are night shift workers. Others are coming from far away and have long drives. Many attend church, or just would like to have a relaxing breakfast before the show. To make the early AM deadlines of these shows means most people will have to start preparations and commutes BEFORE SUNRISE! (BTW, a 7:00 AM registration means lots of morons will be waiting at the gates at 5:30 AM vying for the best parking spots). Crap, the spectators won't even start arriving until sometime before noon...and about the time the bulk of spectators arrive the show will be closing down. I'm throwing the bullshit flag here folks. Street rodders started all this; because the participants were a bunch of melatonin-deprived old rich guys, they got up before dawn everyday so they could take their Geritol, get their mandatory 2:00 nap, have supper at 5:00 and be in bed by 8:00. I'd hoped rat rodders would be a younger, more badass crowd who would  party all night and sleep late nursing dopeovers. Nope, the so-called rat rodders have followed right in the footsteps of the geezers. This year only the Cow Creek Jalopy Jam will have a starting time (12:00 Noon) that doesn't make attending a car show into a before-sunrise ordeal. Screw 'em - I'm out.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:19:06 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline radford46

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Early morning car shows - JUST SAY NO!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:49:51 AM »
You nailed that one. We have a bunch of cruise-ins around here, and they start at 4:30 pm and the oldies are leaving by 6 to go home and eat supper and go to bed. I don't think street rods can be driven at night
I'm thinking about having a night time ratrod only meet. There are several free parking garages in Roanokes downtown and the top floors are never used at night, think it would be cool to have night meets.
And another thing, the biggest show here is the Star City Cruise in , deal around July 4th, it's like 40.00 to register! Cheap shirt and a goofy plaque just isn't worth 40.00. I think they should charge the spectators and not the guys who put all the money in their cars and use their gas to get there.
I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:30:38 AM »
I hear ya. But here in Oz all shows have registration at 8am unless you pre-registered. But that means I have to be on the road by 7. It is either catch the heat of the day late or cool of the day early. Since moving from DFW almost all of the shows that I have been to in both here and in Arkansas have had early sign in. That is when you hope to get a good spot, or shade tree and a nice breeze to nap
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
I hate that shit too. I do know from attending a big mustang show in colorado that actually stages cars by year, make and model. they start line ups early in order to get all the car's in position. If it's a show where you can park where ever you want, then the earliest the car's should start showing up is around 9 am.......any earlier then that and it makes for to long of a day.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Jeepenstein

• Jeep Radical
  • Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 700 HP or bust
Early morning car shows - JUST SAY NO!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier if people organizing these shows had a parking grid and preregistration?
1993 Jeep Yj aka Jeepenstein

miraclepieco

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »
Around here you shiver and freeze for the first two hours of any early show. By 10 or 11 it's starting to get warm. The wind kicks up in the afternoon so, although the temperature is hotter, it's actually more comfortable with a breeze. But the geezers who were crashing the gates at 5:00 AM are chomping at the bit to leave by 1:30.  What magical thing do they have to do from 2:00 PM until supper at 5:00 that's so damned important that they want to party poop? I swear it's so they can go home and nap.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:16:19 AM by miraclepieco »

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »
We have a few really hard core rat rod shows around here and they go from usually 12:00 to sometime the next day . The next big one that I am looking forward to is VIVA ATLANTA . It is is billed as a custom culture event that will start on July 4 and end late on the 5Th . They have over 20 rockabilly bands also pinstripers and tattooers on site also the mandatory pin up contest . I guess what I'm trying to say is you guys live in the wrong part of the country , so pack up the u-hauls and move to the sunny south guys !
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »
Damn greg, that sounds fun.............and i think i will start taking naps from 2 to 5 pm, eat dinner, then go to bed at 7 pm. LOL
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Shows I'v gone to have the early start too, that is getting old for me so now 9 or 10 AM is about when I'm likely to make an appearance show or no.

Tags: