AuthorTopic: Be honest!!!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline jrod12

Be honest!!!
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
I drove 2 hours yesterday morning to go look at what I thought was a cool old 71 Chevy wagon & had cash in hand with plans to buy it if it was as good as the owner had said. It was priced a little high because it did not have a motor or tranny, but they are hard to find so I was willing to suck it up anyway. Had talked to the guy on the phone & what he described to me seemed to be a really nice car. Well, after i got there I found a different story. The back cargo floor & spare tire area was rusted & almost gone, the left front fender & about 3 different spots of the body had some very shoddy repair in the past, the hood had been broken in the middle from trying to close it with stuck hinges, the body has dents all over & the interior was rotting away. I was still interested in the car, but not at the price he was asking. He seemed almost insulted when I started pointing things out to him, but I had to because it was not worth what he wanted. Long story short, I walked away without the car because he was priced about three times too high & would not budge an inch. Was a lot of wasted time & wasted gas for me that could have been avoided if he was just a little more honest with me.
Don't buy it, build it!!!
If you are afraid to drive it then what good is it.
Tire smokin' & gear jammin' does a body good.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
Re: Be honest!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
I hate that bullshit man. I have been in those situations a few times and don't appreciate it. I even asked a guy onetime to send me more pics. He sent me more pics of all the good stuff, but when i got there, the right rear fender of the car was smashed. Guy said the car was perfect........
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
I found that often when looking at old guns, more than cars. You can here the story,,,,,, it's in great shape (it's half new parts, or re-done) nice old gun (is the bent barrel for shooting around corners) rare short rifle (somebody's got a hacksaw)
I call it "kissing toads" as in sometimes ya got to kiss a lot of frogs before ya find your princess.

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
  • Referrals: 0
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:16:54 PM »
My brother buys and sells lots of classic cars , I have seen him pass on a car after driving 850 miles one way .... you have to be willing to walk away or be prepared to live with a loss or lots of extra work.
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Tags: