AuthorTopic: 1946 Ford Panel  (Read 6654 times)

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
1946 Ford Panel
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
Been wanting to build a fenderless rat rod for quite some time now. I am starting with a medium level built chevy big block built foir the street. This motor does not come without problems. I built this motor back in the late 80's to be placed in a Z-28 (which I just sold this past week). I pulled the 60 over 1970 396 and B&M th400 from the car and let it go cheap to make room for the panel project. This motor has never seen the street and has only run on a stand. It has been sitting inside storage for about 23 years! lol

You see it here sitting in a 1988 Chevy pick up truck chassis. Why such a new roller? Because I was to use this vehicle both as a fun joy rider and toy hauler. I have been building backyard rat rod kind of bikes for last few years and would like to use this vehicle to pull my bikes to long distance meets when riding the entire way is not feasible or time will not allow. In my mind, the best of both worlds in more than one way.

So I will need to deal with open wheels and IFS.  :-\
Not gonna be pretty....but I will figure out something.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:04:31 PM by jpswino »

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: 1946 Ford Panel
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Here are a few pics of the very rough panel I have acquired. Hinges are falling off, lots of holes from rust and parts nearly rusted away. The PO shot some sort of white epoxy all over the body to prevent further rust. I wonder how this is going to look once I start patching here and patching there? I prefer the classic brown patina honestly. But hell, I guess I will benefit from the epoxy as well. But now I will need to carefully clean wherever I need to weld for sure.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:13:27 PM by jpswino »

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
1946 Ford Panel
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
I damn sure see a lot of potential there. Nice find.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
looks like a good platform to start with the white kinda sux but it could be worse keep the pix coming i(we) also like bikes pix on them i don't think will get you in trouble but im not the boss lol
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • I build for fun not for show
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Nice project, you will get it.
Hard work without talent is a shame,talent without hard work is a tragedy.

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
That panel would look good full fendered,
and on that frame if it will fit clean and low.

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
May also want to consider using the original frame and maybe clip the front. Just don't get rid of anything until your sure you don't need it. If not you may wind up with the backs of your leggs bruised up from you trying to kick yourself in the rear. LOL!!  Don't think we are trying to tell you how to build your ride. We are just tossing ideas out there for you to consider.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:41:19 AM by WV junkman »

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
The fenders are in real rough shape, but I will be keeping them just in case I change it up later.

The chassis it is sitting on I plan to put back on the road for my Dad. I have a Vortec V-6 from my blazer that I think would be great in a light weight rig with all the doo-dad modern crap taken off. Just run a simple Edelbrock intake and carb (or something of that idea), a single 30's truck cab and make our own stake bed. Maybe find a stick tranny that bolts up to that motor from the junkyard and call it a day. Could be a real fun and quick little scoot.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:48 PM »
I think that is a great idea and the blazers 6 cylinder might suprize people in a seriously light rat.....

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
I think this pic shows how rough the fenders really are but you have to look closely with all that white crap painted on there. The running boards are even worse. They look like swiss cheese!  :o

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
Just spoke to a buddy that can help this weekend. I'd like to get the body off the chassis and attempt a dry fit mock up over the new rig. This way I can size up the look a bit better and maybe get an idea how far off base I may be with my vision. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't look like a turd!  ;D

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:34 AM »
A few rough area's. But a lot of potential.

8)
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 03:34:47 PM »
Rough panels give it character......I like it.

Offline jpswino

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
I was rolling around "another site" through some 40's pics (site separates builds by decades so I am sure you can figure out which one) and found where a dude kinda started at the front facing side of each fender and "cropped/trimmed" the fender as it curves around the front, to the side and across the top of the tire to fully expose it. I really dig it. It gives the fender a 20's or even 30's feel to it. I just may try it. If I can steal the pic and repost it here I will. It would make good reference for me to look back on as I move forward with the build. I like the complete wheel showing so this may be the best of both worlds for me and hide that ugly ass IFS.   ;D

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 04:38:53 PM »
That would look kewl and just so you know, here at the nation you can name sites and share links. There is truly no issue with posting other sites or picture links. In the end, we are better then other sites for the simple fact that we don't nit pick little stuff like that. It's truly a hobby and hopefully one day, allot of the other sites dedicated to our hobby will look at things with more of an open mind....Just sayin.  8)

Offline WV junkman

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »
That would look kewl and just so you know, here at the nation you can name sites and share links. There is truly no issue with posting other sites or picture links. In the end, we are better then other sites for the simple fact that we don't nit pick little stuff like that. It's truly a hobby and hopefully one day, allot of the other sites dedicated to our hobby will look at things with more of an open mind....Just sayin.  8)
Well said

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
Thanks bro.....

Tags: