AuthorTopic: Gas floods engine after shutdown  (Read 2069 times)

Offline marvbabco

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Gas floods engine after shutdown
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
My gas tank sits higher than my carburetor and I have a mechanical fuel pump on my small block Chevy. A couple times a year(5% of the time)when I turn off the engine and come back to the ratrod the next day, the engine is flooded with gas. Most of the time this does not happen, and I can't figure any pattern. Seems random. I have had the carb overhauled twice by a very reputable carb guy, but it still eventually happens. I am installing a shutoff valve before the Carb to turn off the gas everytime I shut it down until I can find a solution. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marvin

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Gas floods engine after shutdown
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:42:29 AM »
Good lookin ride. The cutoff valve is the only thing I can tell you. If I was to guess I'd say that the pump has to be in a perfect spot so the valve that does the fuel is open. Just a guess.
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline marvbabco

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
You've got the proper solution.  You may or may not have noticed, but it most likely happens with a full fuel tank or in hot weather.  Either of those conditions would likely allow fuel tank pressure to overcome your carb's needle and seat.  This is why MOST motorcycles have a fuel shutoff valve.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline marvbabco

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
Thank you, Maybe my tank is not adequately vented??? I have a "rollover vent", but maybe that is not the correct vent.

Tags: