AuthorTopic: OK Engine rebuilders....I Have a question...  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Redbeard101

OK Engine rebuilders....I Have a question...
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:35 AM »
I am re-ring'n my 6 banger 250 ci Chevy before I put her in Charlene..I had a thought of milling the head to raise the compression a bit..Would there be a worthwhile improvement in doing this..I'm having the head rebuilt anyway so everything will be fresh when it goes in the 49...What do you think..Thanks..
Every Day Above Ground is a Great Day..

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
  • Referrals: 0
    • Greybeards customs
Re: OK Engine rebuilders....I Have a question...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:51 AM »
I think the biggest gain will be in knowing that you will have flat surface for the head gasket to seal better , the extra compression can't hurt . Unless you are talking about .035 or .040" , I don't think you will see any major increase in compression .
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:27:06 AM »
I'm on the same bus as Greybeard on this one. Would mill for flat, but not for horsepower on that one.

Offline Sky

• JOIN THE COFFEE PARTY!!!! FUCK THE TEA PARTY!!!
  • Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • BRING ME THE HEAD OF RUSH LIMBAUGH !!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
Agree with both above . You'll get great results from having the works balanced / lightening the flywheel  / a fast road cam kit / dual or triple carb manifold or custom manifold and six bike carbs / and a good set of split big tube headers and dual exhaust  .  It all comes down to how much you have/want to spend . A straight six can produce amazing power and torque . I use to beat V8 cars all the time with my old rat Gremlin with the big straight six !!!! :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:22:17 PM by Sky »
What is this """ stock restoration """ thing you speak of ????

Offline Redbeard101

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
I have the headers already...Looking for a good intake...I don't want a Hot Rod..Just a NICE cruizer...Because of my health issues this is more than likely my last build..And with disability money is very hard to come by..so I do alot of bartering..lol...But I WILL enjoy a Good Cruize..Probably over toward Cheyenne when I'm done...Would really LOVE to hit the Primer Nationals 1 time..Thanks again..

Offline Sky

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
I have the headers already...Looking for a good intake...I don't want a Hot Rod..Just a NICE cruizer...Because of my health issues this is more than likely my last build..And with disability money is very hard to come by..so I do alot of bartering..lol

Then make your intake manifold quarter inch plate for the base like you are making a header flange , and thick gauge header tube for the rest .  The bike carbs mount using the stock rubber boots . Use bike carbs from the bike salvage yard . Just get two sets of 4 from the exact same bike ( ALL CARBS MUST MATCH !!! No mixing . Pick the best six and clean them well . Bike carbs  ( one per cylinder )  make more power for less gas plus once tuned they are ZERO problems !!!!!! They provide great responce through all the power band

Offline Redbeard101

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:11 AM »
Now that sounds interesting Sky...Thank You...I would love to see a picture of it.. :)

Offline Greybeards Customs

• Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1930 Ford 2 Door
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Living the Dream
    • Greybeards customs
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »
I have head of people doing that , never seen it before but the idea is sound . I think it wuld look pretty cool , bike carbs are very easy to work with and the rubber tube mounting is a breeze. I say go for it !!
That's not dust in your eyes ...... it's RUST !!!

www.greybeardscustoms.com

Grey Beards Customs
7215 1st ave. N.
Birmingham Al.
205-836-1227

Offline Sky

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
Now that sounds interesting Sky...Thank You...I would love to see a picture of it.. :)

Here are a few pics of it done on 4 bangers  . Somewhere I have a few pics of my friends straight 8 with 8 carbs . It works awesome on any straight motor 4 , 6 , 8

Offline Redbeard101

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
WOW.... :)

Offline Sky

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
 :DMake sure to get Mukini carbs from a large Jap pike They are common . The only thing besides making your intake and throttle linkage is there is a plate on bike carb sets that hold the carbs together , so you take that plate and trace it out on a piece of 1/8th " thick plate and then measure and slide it over two places and trace for two more carbs . then cut out the plate for 6 carbs and you are good to go .
You can find all kinds of air cleaners for these online and on ebay . Everything from horns to skulls to K-n-N ones .

It's easiest to make 2 of your own 1 into 3 fuel blocks out of blocks of aluminum or you can readily get them online as folks use them all the time for running 3 carb setups on flatties  :D run the line from tank to filter to pump
( this line """TANK/FILTER/PUMP""" should  be no longer then 18 inches for any electric push pump regardless of motor/carb/injection/blower/etc )
Then from pump  to Y spliter
and from the spliter run two lines to the 2 fuel blocks
and then use 6 clear red rubber fuel lines to each carb . It looks bitchin !!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me when I say you will NEVER have had better response across the power/torque bands and the increased miles per  gallon from any other carb system 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:15:53 PM by Sky »

Offline OldMusher

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Yeah it rattles.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
You may wish to check your cylinder bores and pistons when you re-ring.  Milling the head a little to help sealing is a great idea, but if your cylinder walls are worn enough, more compression will just increase blow-by and it'll still smoke. 

Offline hudsonhotrod

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
Hey Sky, do you have any pics of anyone running those carbs on an SBC or BBC?  You've got me thinkin now! hhhhhmmmmm....... ;D
"tied him to the car and dragged him"

Offline Redbeard101

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 06:20:50 AM »
I've already had my block bored 30 over...Its going to take some time to get her built but she's gonna be BRAND new when she goes in...Thanks Guys... :)

Offline Sky

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »
I've already had my block bored 30 over...Its going to take some time to get her built but she's gonna be BRAND new when she goes in...Thanks Guys... :)

COOL , it's coming along nice  :D Oh and Hudson dude , I have a few pics of V8/V6 bike carb set ups including a reverse set up on a V8 somewhere . I have to find them though lol I have over 400 main files with over 700 sub files over 50,000 pics vids , screen shots , and docs , and they got messed up when I transferred them from my backup hard drive dump storage after my old comp died a few  years back .  ???

Offline Sky

• Serious Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
Found one :D

Offline oldskool49

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1964 Chevrolet Impala
  • Activity:
    0%
  • My Girl, Ol Blue
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »

COOL , it's coming along nice  :D Oh and Hudson dude , I have a few pics of V8/V6 bike carb set ups including a reverse set up on a V8 somewhere . I have to find them though lol I have over 400 main files with over 700 sub files over 50,000 pics vids , screen shots , and docs , and they got messed up when I transferred them from my backup hard drive dump storage after my old comp died a few  years back .  ???

And you have all of that hidden where? Need to talk to your executive asitant... :D
Hot Rodders. The First Recyclers.

Offline hudsonhotrod

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
Thanks Sky,  that reverse Chevy is prettin effin RAD!!! :o :o      With that many pics and vids on your puter I think I would have insurance on it! ;D ;D
"tied him to the car and dragged him"

Offline obama

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
Wild Cheby, never seen that done.

Offline OldMusher

• Rat Lover
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Yeah it rattles.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
Like the "reversed" heads on the Chevy small block.  This is what Ford "Indy" dual overhead cam engines used for several years of dominance at Indy car racing.  Driver ahead of the engine in their case.  Great look.

Tags: