AuthorTopic: Couple of questions  (Read 4047 times)

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 0
Couple of questions
« on: September 27, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
I got this a couple yrs ago 34 chevy rat truck.   ive been just getting it running right , rebuilt carb, new master cylinder and misc leaks. I am finding it hard to figure out what the original builder used as I am finding that what he told me isn't right at all... 350 chevy turns out is a 305, the oil dipstick is about 3-4" too long and bends along the bottom of the pan, I believe the trans is a chevy 350 because I got a gasket for the pan from a 79 chevy 3500 truck so I am flying blind.

I have a few questions to avoid buying stuff that wont work...
 - is there a standard 305 oil dipstick length?
 - how can I tell what the actual trans is? are there any identifiers?
 - I need to hook up a speedo ... will any cable work or are there differences I need to look out for? I have a speedo but not sure what its from
If at 1st you dont succeed... destry all evidence that you tried

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »
Heres a site to help with the tranny questions. May go a little deeper than you want.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/815618-th350-th400-frequently-asked-questions.html
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
First thing I would do is get the numbers for the block casting. Should be located on the block behind the drivers side head. There is a flat spot on the block that has numbers and letters on it. Those numbers will give you all the information you need about the block and what parts you need.
And the tranny: see the image and just look at your pan.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

miraclepieco

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
Dipstick length:

You can buy a universal small block Chevy dipstick and tube from Summit or any auto parts retailer. Be sure to use the tube that comes with it because that determines how far the dipstick reaches into the pan.

Or you can make your own dipstick length:
First cut the dipstick to where it is just short of hitting the bottom of the pan (not real critical; just get it close with a tape measure). Fill the crankcase with 4-1/2 quarts of oil (the other half quart goes in the filter). Insert the dipstick into the engine, pull it out and note the oil level. Using a small file, scratch a "Full" mark on the stick right at that level.

Trans ID: Ditto to what hotwheels said.

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
the block is stamped 305 and the pan from the image is a THM350 .   I got the speedo working today but my attempt at lighting up the gauges needs to be rethought...  and I need to drop the gas tank, I ran out of gas with 3/4 tank ... I am guessing that the sending unit is not sucking from the bottom.

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:27:58 AM »
We're there any numbers stamped on the spot I was talking about? Usually those numbers can be matched kind of like a vin to the year of the engine, which makes it easier to buy parts when needed.
Totally agree on buying the sbc dipstick and tube. Should fit perfectly or follow those steps to make your own dipstick.
With the tranny identified you should have no problem matching parts for it now.
I agree totally on the sending unit, needs replaced.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
Make sure the pickup for the sending unit is long enough to get close to the bottom of the tank and adjust the float and arm to do the same. The float and arm need to make a full swing inside the tank in order to be accurate. If this can't be made to work, make sure the float goes to the bottom of its stroke  AND the bottom of the tank before installing. Bottom = Empty!! Very important in traveling any distance from a gas station.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline HDrider281

• Rat Rodder
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:16 AM »
yeah I don't believe the sending unit is sucking from the bottom... are gm sending units pretty much the same for the tank mounting hole? I understand the depth is important but will any gm sending unit work as long as it is long enough to go to the bottom? the only thing I can say is that it appears to be a gm tank and sending unit but the year make and model are a mystery. it appears to be about a 12-15 gal tank and its fairly square with mounting bolt holes part of the tank... no straps... 4 bolts hold it up   .... I also got a tach installed and I don't believe my trans is shifting into 3rd

Tags: