AuthorTopic: Asbestos  (Read 4247 times)

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
  • Referrals: 0
Asbestos
« on: January 18, 2018, 01:40:21 PM »
Anyone have any idea if the headliner or sound dampening material behind it on a 38 chevy pickup would contain asbestos? I hadn't really thought about it and began tearing what was left out now concerned that is a possibility and think I may send it to get tested.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline lowboy

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1973 Volkswagen Beetle
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • BOOG OUT
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Asbestos
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it myself as it's so little unless you have a health problem. The clutch and brakes all contained asbestos back then. And if they do find it you'll have to explain where it came from and have the EPA looking close. I don't want big brother anywhere near here or me!
life is a ride where you slide into heaven sideways on 4 flats blown motor saying Thank you God what a ride!!!!!

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
I wondered the same thing and I do not have health issues but I do have a 6 yeae old boy that will be all over that truck. That concerns me some.
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:32 PM »
Talked to a guy at an environmental clean up company next to work (luckily he was a car guy and a rat rod guy) he said he would look at it and see what he thought and if we sent it off I would be the only one to see the results
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:32:13 AM »
it would seem you could google it and see what material that was made from when made . if you are removing it and can use water you could spray it real heavy to stop the dust from becoming air born clean were it may have been stuck to the body , try vacing everything up real good . if you still think there can be a problem they have spray product to encapsulate  the material .

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
Just use some common since if you are concerned. Use a paper mask for breathing and a spray bottle with water and a bit of dish soap to keep the dust down. They used bad stuff in everything, asbestos on brakes, clutches, gaskets, etc...there is lead in the solder in electrical, radiators, paint, etc. those 3m paper masks are your friend.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:12:09 PM »
I googled it and didn't find much besides for a guy who sent samples from his 36 chevy car and they came back negative. It did not burn well which concerned me that it may have asbestos in it but it's so degraded it turns to powder if disturbed. I will take the samples and let them look at it today. I'm thinking at this point I won't test them and save my 75 bucks and use a tyvek suit and dust mask and gloves, spray water and remove and vacuum all I can and then I will spray rubber coating on the roof to contain leftovers and behind the panels I can't get to i will fill with expanding foam to contain it and just go on
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
I THINK you'll find that that is what is known as "masonite". That's what your picture looks like. It degrades badly when it has been exposed to significant moisture and powders up into a fibrous mess!!  It's pretty benign, but it can irritate your breathing apparatus!!  The use of a good dust mask and perhaps something to keep it out of your eyes will probably be sufficient.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline just old

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »
when removing try not to use wire wheels on a grinder , try and do it all with a hand scraper . if you could take it outside that would be good
or drape clear plastic over it to contain the dust as well as you can .Masonite did contain asbestos . siding , shingles , back in the day it was used in a lot of things as a binder .

Offline notw

• Rat Rod Crazy
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Jesus Saves
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 04:40:42 PM »
He couldn't say for sure without a test but said he did not think it had any....it contained animal hair he said rarley would they use both as the hair was a bonding material
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:17:38 PM by notw »
1966 f100 ratrod (sold)
1938 Chevy (in process)

God Bless

Offline Blackwater

• Global Moderator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 1
    • Milkbone Blues Band
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
He couldn't say for sure without a test but said he did not think it had any....it contained animal hair he said rarley would they use both as the hair was a bonding material

Yeah!!  I was led to understand that masonite had hair as a bonder!!  We'd be stripping every old car in the country if it used asbestos!!  Nearly every door panel in the industry was made with masonite at one time.
Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary!!

Offline hotwheels

• Rat Rod Builder
  • Administrator
  • Rat Rods or Nothing
  • Vehicle: 1947 Ford Pickup
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Referrals: 9
    • Rat Rod Nation
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
From the picture I think you are gonna be fine. Just wear a mask for comforter reasons.
Love building rat rods, driving mustangs, and building websites.

Tags: